How to move from one tablet to another

Phred

Sep 27, 2011
Newbie to the tablet scene.
I have a 16gb tablet, and just now got a new 32gb tablet, and will return the 16...
What's the easiest way to transfer everything and anything from the 16 to the 32?
Do I have to download and install all the apps again?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Phred, welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new tablet. I'm guessing there isn't that much on the old tablet if it's new enough to return, so I'd say download and install all the apps again. Unless your apps and data were backed up with Titanium backup or you sideloaded your apps, it's probably the easiest way.

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
It is best to download the app, App Backup and Restore.
It will backup the apps you choose to the internal sd and then you transfer them to a micro sd.
On the new tablet you will need to put in your google account info first.
Then just click on each apps and they will install.
I have done it after I did a reset of my tablet.
I even emailed an app, we could no longer find in the market, to a friend and he installed it.
Worked great.

Last edited:

Phred

Sep 27, 2011
Thanks guys, it worked and appears to cause a problem.
I installed the app on both tablets.
I chose a couple games to test first, like Angry Birds and Dungeon Defender (cuz, come on, priorities people).
I selected back up and they showed up in the "archive" tab.
I opened HD File manager and copied from it's folder to my micro SD card.

I stuck the micro SD in the new tablet and copied from the card back to the App Backup folder.
They showed up in the archived tab on the new tablet and I chose to restore.
It prompted me that my settings wouldn't let it install, I chose to change the settings and it took me to the "Applications" under Settings, where I had to check "Allow installation of non-Market applications".
Then I restored again, and it installed. I already had Angry birds installed again (but hadn't ran it yet) and it said it'd overwrite it, I chose ok.
It appeared that everything installed fine. I tried running it, and it ran (granted, it didn't copy over the saved information, like what levels I already played in Angry birds, so it really wasn't much of a benefit besides not installing from the app store for every app).

So, I opened the "games" app from the home page, and clicked the + to add them into the list, selected them and hit ok and got the error:
The application Acer content folder (process com.acer.app) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. With two options to Force close or report.

Now, I can't get into "games" or any of the other related shortcuts there, it keeps giving the same error.
I rebooted and still does gives it. Any thoughts?
I really don't have too much invested time wise yet, so if I need to do a factory reset or whatever, that's fine.

Thanks!

Phred

Sep 27, 2011
I did find a post with this, after searching with the exact error (duh, it's early)

Go to Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, All.
Scroll and select: Acer content folders. Click Force Stop. Click clear data. Click Clear Cache

So, I'll try that and see if it works first, before anyone spends time trying to help my newb ass

Phred

Sep 27, 2011
that worked, I can open it back up now... I think I'll just reinstall everything instead.
Thanks guys!

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Sorry it didn't work right, that App Backup and Restore sounded great.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
I couldn't find the thread, but I believe someone said there's a way to sync your app data when you sync the rest of it.

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
When I reinstalled them I did it directly from the external sd card. I probably had to do each one but had no problems with any of them.

timzeto

Mar 27, 2011
Hi

I am also new here. I was thinking of transferring only apps from the old tab (tab1) to the new one (tab2).

Would this work ?

1. Using the app "move2SD" on tab1 to move all movable apps to sd1.
2. put the sd1 in TB2 then do the reverse move.

Does any one know where on the sd the moved apps stored?

tim

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I am guessing this will not work. I think some files will still be on the tabs internal memory that won't get transferred. Also, newer tabs (ICS) do not support APP2SD.

Any paid apps will be available on your new tab once you add your account info if they were purchased through the Play Store.

I would use My Backup (30 day trial) to back up your apps and data on the old tab, then install on the new one.