How to Remove Android/Trojan.Gedma From Dragon Phablet

ocean-view

Nov 9, 2015
Hi, somehow I got a trojan that keeps adding apps to my phablet. I have Anti-Virus 360 and Malwarebytes installed.

Both programs find the trojan, but both cannot remove it. Says UNINSTALL UNSUCCESSFUL.

How do I get this off my phablet?

It keeps installing apps and I keep deleting.

Thanks.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

Some tablets have a safe mode that might allow it to be removed but my best guess is that you need a full factory reset. Did you have either of those apps installed before the virus hit you?

ocean-view

Nov 9, 2015
Hi, thanks for the reply. I don't know which app it came from. Full-factory reinstalls do not get rid of it. I have been reading threads elsewhere.

I have no idea about safe mode. I'll have to look into that.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
If you do a factory reset there is no reason I can think of that it should come back unless it was a legit app that came from the Play Store. If that's the case, which I doubt, do the reset and don't tell it to sync with Google when setting it up.

ocean-view

Nov 9, 2015
I only get my apps from the Play Store; so it looked legit and wasn't. Does a factory reset remove all your photos and video too?
Hoping there is another solution; as I have no idea which app did this and got rid of all but the essential apps already.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Yes, a factory reset removes all your data. Install AirDroid on a PC to copy all those files off the tablet or install DropBox and allow it to sync up. Google Photo will also store all your photos in the cloud, automatically.

ocean-view

Nov 9, 2015
Okay, thanks. I'll still try to find a fix for this trojan before I do this (despite other threads saying trojan will remain).

zolaextreme032

Mar 10, 2015
Monkey virus... Use box or dongle to remove it or install full rom on this tablet. Good lock

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

ocean-view

Nov 9, 2015
Hi, can you tell me more about box and dongle so that I can look them up? Googling the words brings up too many possibilities.

ocean-view

Nov 9, 2015
Hi, cannot be removed in safe zone either. I have done 3 full factory resets and not installing my google backups, but it is still there.

Welcome to the forum

Some tablets have a safe mode that might allow it to be removed but my best guess is that you need a full factory reset. Did you have either of those apps installed before the virus hit you?

ocean-view

Nov 9, 2015
I don't tell it to sync, but it is still there. It is in the Android System (in-rom).

If you do a factory reset there is no reason I can think of that it should come back unless it was a legit app that came from the Play Store. If that's the case, which I doubt, do the reset and don't tell it to sync with Google when setting it up.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
If you did a factory reset and didn't sync with Google when you set it up, and it's still there I'm out of options.

ocean-view

Nov 9, 2015
Security 360 says it's IN-ROM. I think I need a custom Rom now to replace it, but I have no clue how to take this step; even from searching online.

If you did a factory reset and didn't sync with Google when you set it up, and it's still there I'm out of options.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I went back to the beginning. You didn't say you were rooted, (or I missed it). Even if you had "allow installation from unknown sources" unchecked and if you were stock I don't see how the system area where the original ROM was could have been infected. That's either incorrect or a really really serious infection. Sorry but I can't help with a ROM suggestion.