How to replace touchscreen on IMX515

Tiscon

May 24, 2011
I managed to crack the touchscreen on my IMX515 and have a replacement screen but after opening the tablet I see the touchscreen is attached by a ribbon and can't see how to get the ribbon connection out - I am not sure whether it is soldered, glued or just pushed in - I don't want to just pull it in case it damages the connection.
I would be grateful if any one could tell me how I can replace this screen.
Thanking you Tiscon

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The connection should be a ZIF connector. There is a tab you can lift to get the ribbon out, I think...

Tiscon

May 24, 2011
Thank you for your quick reply - yes it is a ZIF connector which pulls out.
Still have a problem though - I got the broken screen out with no problem (after your help) - and put the new one in but it will not respond to any touch even using a stylus though it does load up with no problem but cant slide the unlock screen.
Would it be possible that have a faulty new screen?
Thanking you Tiscon

tstonick

Jan 11, 2011
Where'd you get your screen? I ordered a replacement from freeshippingmart.com, they took my $29.99 and it never came and they aren't responding to my messages. I broke mine while taking it apart to do the capacitor shakiness fix.

gchris

Jun 3, 2011
hi i am new !
i broke my touch screen and looking to find new one, but i cant see what is feet on this tablet. how i looking for what i searching? any help ?
i find only this Replacement Touch Screen Panel for EKEN M009S Tablet PC. that feet on us?
plz help me
sorry for bad english

JimLe

May 1, 2011
I too ordered a replacement touchscreen from freeshippingmart.com in May, 2011. in late June I managed to contact "Fred" through their online support. He told me that it had been shipped and changed the status of my order to reflect that it was closed. I tracked the package for several days until it was delivered--but not to me. It went to city in Arizona Since then the only contact I've managed to get from them was a "sorry to send you trouble" message with a promise to investigate, but only after I sent a barrage of email and IM messages. It's now September and they've never once sent an update, or my touchscreen. These guys are either incompetent or thieves. Stay away.

JimLe

May 1, 2011
hi i am new !
i broke my touch screen and looking to find new one, but i cant see what is feet on this tablet. how i looking for what i searching? any help ?
i find only this Replacement Touch Screen Panel for EKEN M009S Tablet PC. that feet on us?
plz help me
sorry for bad english

Depending on the model, Pandawill may have what you need. If it's a two-speaker 8" model, try searching for sku9294, sku9295, sku 9373 or Model TWK041F33 (but avoid freeshippingmart.com. Grr). I don't know of any provider for a touchscreen for the 1-speaker, 2-screws-on-the-side 8" model. chip3c.gmail.com used to have them. It may be worth sending him email and asking if he still does.

I'm thinking about transplanting the IMX515 innards into a 9.7" Eken M008 (the old model, with the 8508 and only 128Mb RAM) but so far that's just me thinking-out-loud.

JimLe

May 1, 2011
I got mine from Pandawill.com
To my knowledge, no. No one has ever advertised a capacitive replacement for a resistive screen. For one, the interface is different. If I'm wrong, I'd love to hear about it.

JimLe

May 1, 2011
Depending on the model, Pandawill may have what you need. If it's a two-speaker 8" model, try searching for sku9294, sku9295, sku 9373 or Model TWK041F33 (but avoid freeshippingmart.com. Grr). I don't know of any provider for a touchscreen for the 1-speaker, 2-screws-on-the-side 8" model. chip3c.gmail.com used to have them. It may be worth sending him email and asking if he still does.

I'm thinking about transplanting the IMX515 innards into a 9.7" Eken M008 (the old model, with the 8508 and only 128Mb RAM) but so far that's just me thinking-out-loud.

Sorry, that email should be [email protected].

lilrobo

Nov 26, 2011
i just cracked mine too but my screen dont have cracks but the screen is all missed up it must be inside underneath ,, can it be fixed and were do i get the part ??