How to Restore 7042, 8042, 9742 Dump

samersh

Sep 11, 2012
1)when i made dump there was 4 files created and not 3. what about recovery.img???
2)do i must format system before restore??
3)can i make backup from cwm insteed of dump files?
4)thx in advance

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
1)when i made dump there was 4 files created and not 3. what about recovery.img???
2)do i must format system before restore??
3)can i make backup from cwm insteed of dump files?
4)thx in advance

I don't use stock recovery so no need for recovery.img
Yes you need to format system before restore
Yes you can make a backup with cw recovery and use it instead of using dump files.

samersh

Sep 11, 2012
thx boss. but im wondering why dump files (185 mb) are smaller then cwm backup files (271 mb). and if i format system do i loose my custon cwm?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
The size difference is cw recovery backs up /data which is your personal settings, a dump doesn't do that. A dump is needed if one doesn't use cw recovery. Some people use livesuite which can and does in some cases mess their tablet up. So the can use the dumps they made to fix their tablet if it was messed up by livesuite.

xxx_wea

Oct 23, 2012
when i enter cp /sdcard/install-boot.sh /tmp/install-boot.sh in adb shell it gives me /system/bin/sh: cp: not found
what am i doing wrong?

xxx_wea

Oct 23, 2012
Cause you are not in recovery mode.

you mean CW Recovery?
yeah, thats another problem I'm having.
"adb devices" won't detect my coby while in CW recovery

edit: forgot to mention adb shell also doesn't detect, says "no connection" or was it "not connected", can't really remember atm.

Last edited:

mau_331

Oct 27, 2012
you mean CW Recovery?
yeah, thats another problem I'm having.
"adb devices" won't detect my coby while in CW recovery

edit: forgot to mention adb shell also doesn't detect, says "no connection" or was it "not connected", can't really remember atm.

Same here, what's the cause of this?
thanks

mau_331

Oct 27, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately this didnt work, Windows XP still failed to install ADB USB driver (using the Google USB driver) for the 8042 while in CWM recovery boot mode & its unfortunate too that my machines are all Windowze XP. Still no device recognized by adb. Will explore a Virtual-box Linux installation in Win host, I cant tinker with the installed OSs of these company-issued machines.

This all started when I used CW recovery 6.0.1.1 to install the CM9 mod (CM_8042), all others CW mod ROMs (8042_update, 8042_ds_Moviz V2, 8042_Moviz_V2) dont work for my 8042, no touchscreen response, the physical buttons all work though. I suspect the touchscreen hw has changed in my model. As backup of the orig Android OS (ICS 4.0.3) I only did a boot, bootloader, & recovery image dump, w/c is what I'm trying to restore (sadly no system.tgz was generated by the root_restore.bat utility).

Any other ideas on the touchsreen issue? TIA

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately this didnt work, Windows XP still failed to install ADB USB driver (using the Google USB driver) for the 8042 while in CWM recovery boot mode & its unfortunate too that my machines are all Windowze XP. Still no device recognized by adb. Will explore a Virtual-box Linux installation in Win host, I cant tinker with the installed OSs of these company-issued machines.

This all started when I used CW recovery 6.0.1.1 to install the CM9 mod (CM_8042), all others CW mod ROMs (8042_update, 8042_ds_Moviz V2, 8042_Moviz_V2) dont work for my 8042, no touchscreen response, the physical buttons all work though. I suspect the touchscreen hw has changed in my model. As backup of the orig Android OS (ICS 4.0.3) I only did a boot, bootloader, & recovery image dump, w/c is what I'm trying to restore (sadly no system.tgz was generated by the root_restore.bat utility).

Any other ideas on the touchsreen issue? TIA

Boot a Linux 32bit os download adb binary and you can adb all day long no worries. i am not a windows guy, so can't help on windows stuff.

rtype540

Oct 23, 2012
I can now [personally vouch for the update all without livesuite this is the first time I have had CWM actually working on my Coby MID1042 from the day I destroyed the op sys and recovery the first half of the instructs had me in cwm recovery mode so vampirefo you the man LOL

And for what it is worth i am running win 7 x64 and simple cmd box with adb shell works fine as it gives you a linux inviroment to work in
so as soon as I figure out exactly what I am actually doing instead of copying what I read I should be good to go.

Last edited:

mau_331

Oct 27, 2012
I managed to get ADB (Windows) properly working on my bricked Coby 8042 while booted to CW 6011 recovery by doing the ff:
1 - installed Travellerinfo's windows adb utility for Coby
2 - uninstalling any previously installed android device using the utility USBDeview (instructions here..
Fix USB Connection Problems with your Android Device... | www.topnotchtablets.com)
Strange thing is that Windows (7 pro) afterwards just reinstalled the ADB USB driver properly , not asking for any driver software).
3- Rebooted 8042 to recovery, it was properly detected by ADB.
Sad thing is that the dumps of stock 8042 ROMs still dont work on my coby (stuck at COBY logo). Anybody has a more recent 8042 out there? (Aug 2012 onward). THanks