How to Restore 7042, 8042, 9742 Dump

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
It's also included in the root utility in Generation 3 Development. In fact, the root utility relies on ADB to do its work.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
That's funny. :)

On a serious note, I pulled ADB in the utility from the SDK, so it's the full version. I'm not aware of a "light" version. The only thing the root utility doesn't include is the drivers, and I provide a link to those.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
As long as you made a dump for your device, or able to get a dump for your device, and have cw recovery installed you can use this method.

tehferret

Jul 2, 2013
Many people have taken the time to make a dump of their tablets, this is really great, but none seem to know how to restore them. I am going to give you a quick walk through.

You need to have CW recovery installed, if you don't you need to install it before you begin.

place below files on sdcard. the bottom three files are to come from your dump.

install-boot.sh
install-bootloader.sh
install-system.sh

boot.img
bootloader.img
system.tgz

boot into recovery.

use cwm navigate to mount options format /data /system /cache

mount /sdcard /cache /system

adb shell

cp /sdcard/install-boot.sh /tmp/install-boot.sh
cp /sdcard/install-bootloader.sh /tmp/install-bootloader.sh
cp /sdcard/install-system.sh /tmp/install-system.sh

chmod 755 /tmp/install-system.sh
chmod 755 /tmp/install-bootloader.sh
chmod 755 /tmp/install-boot.sh

busybox sh /tmp/install-boot.sh
busybox sh /tmp/install-bootloader.sh
busybox sh /tmp/install-system.sh

reboot

download below

7042_stock.zip

The zip say 7042_stock don't worry about that it's just three scripts they install the files you provide.

boot.img
bootloader.img
system.tgz

This video shows the response you should receive as you type or copy and paste commands.

It has came to my attention some of you users might have been piping your system, this is ok for update.zip but not good for direct install.

for the ones that have piped their system, eg caught into a bootloop, do a factory reset then install permissions.zip, place zip on your sdcard and install through cwm after doing factory reset.

permissions.zip

I had somehow borked my 7048 and I am wondering if this is a safe way of doing this on the 7048.... its not recoginzing the internal sd after my 2 year old got a hold of it... I just dont want it to be a brick where as my wife got it for me as a fathers day present and i had messed up a previous tablet she had given me for a chrismas present the velocity micro cruz r101 ..... so this leaves me with a Uniden Utab403 ... which its tiny screen is no good small screens ok for phones not ok for watching netflix

Last edited by a moderator:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
This isn't for 7048, that is a telechips, these are allwinner be like trying to force a dodge engine into a ford wont work.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A ICS Android Tablet

tehferret

Jul 2, 2013
This isn't for 7048, that is a telechips, these are allwinner be like trying to force a dodge engine into a ford wont work.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A ICS Android Tablet

that is what i figured ... i cant seem to find out how to do this for the 7048 can you at least point me in the right direction

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I don't have a 7048, so i can't tell you how to fix the tablet, the 7048 internal sdcard problem has been reported many times, it's caused by either modifying the vold.fstab or unmounting the sdcard, I can't fix what i don't have.

Ronin90210

Aug 4, 2013
hi, I'm having numerous problems with my tab, I have posted elsewhere for support, then discovered this.

I've done everything as written, including attempting to remove the boot loop. I did all the scripts, then factory reset, then install permissions.zip.

I'm still stuck in the bootloop.

To fix that I tried installing cm9 7042 from vampireifo.
This works up to a point, coby screen, blue 'alien' with blue circle, then transformed alien with blue 'misty' thing, then it just resets itself.

I'd like to run the cm9 rom, but if I can't i'll gladly stick to stock rooted rom, just can't get past coby loop on stock or alien on cm9
any advice would be much appreciated.

Ronin90210

Aug 4, 2013
don't know how really, but I fixed it, Now have touchscreen back.
What I did: I restored the dump as per the instructions, then used the backup/restore option and restored to a previous working version, now have touch screen back again, hope this helps anyone else out there.