How to Root a Coby Kyros MID7036-4 Tablet

tomkinsr

Nov 10, 2012
Up here in Canada, Giant Tiger just put these up for sale at $99.00.
There are two reasons I got the Coby and not the Playbook. The first is $50.00. The second is that I am doing some work in HTML 5, CSS 3 and JavaScript to make use of a Droid Stick in a product.

It seemed like the cheap Coby would save money, could be used for personal activities and would be a useful tool to me during development, as the Droid Stick and my HD TV are at opposite ends of the house.

So I find that the Coby will not sync/work with my Google, unlike a Playbook, which would have been tickity boo. So, I intend to make the Coby work and to that end will follow the various instructions I have read here about the use of ADB and making backups and the like and what else I can find to figure out how to make this work.

So, I have two questions,
1. Has anyone done this here root thing on the 7036?
2. Are there any precautions before I leap into the water, er, mud?

Thank you in advance.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If you're running Windows, the root utility posted in the sticky posts at the top of Generation 3 Development should work for your tablet. Google apps however will require you to manually copy the files to the correct places in the tablet.

After you have rooted your tablet, but before you try to put Google apps on it, make a system dump!. We don't have any dumps for the new tablets and a dump will allow you to get back to stock if you have problems.

tomkinsr

Nov 10, 2012
If you're running Windows, the root utility posted in the sticky posts at the top of Generation 3 Development should work for your tablet. Google apps however will require you to manually copy the files to the correct places in the tablet.

After you have rooted your tablet, but before you try to put Google apps on it, make a system dump!. We don't have any dumps for the new tablets and a dump will allow you to get back to stock if you have problems.

I took thought I had been able to take a dump, there was a transaction back and forth, progress counters changing and the CopyADB/data folder was populated with sutff, but nothing anywhere close to the size of what a dump should have been and the CopyADB/dump folder remained empty. Oh, Well, too much futzing around.
I plan on trying to return this product to GT boutique on Monday. The quality of workmanship of the product is good, the extremely shortsightedness of limiting the usefulness of the product is just plain dumb.
If they don't take the product back, then I may end up back here going at this in greater detail.

My experience with this product has soured me on Android, I had not realized that so many companies had hi-jacked it for thier own captive market.

This unit out of the box is good for watching movies, listneing to music (maybe) and watching movies and nothing else but watching movies.

I was expecting a productivity tool and found it so much unproductivity. None of the the included apps did anything very well, and nothing availabel at GetJAR was of any use at all.

Thank you for the all the great work, and the intial guidance.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Even if you don't put Google Play on the tablet, you're not stuck with GetJar. Amazon's Appstore has most of the really popular apps. They also offer a free app every day.

As to Android itself, it's free (as in beer) software. Anyone can take it, modify it, and put it on their device. However, the Google apps themselves are controlled by Google and officially only allowed to units that are certified to use Google Play, which no Coby is. Coby chooses not to certify their tablets which leads to people being upset and assigning blame to the wrong party.

Android/Google is not at fault here. Coby is.

Upshifter

Apr 18, 2013
I took thought I had been able to take a dump, there was a transaction back and forth, progress counters changing and the CopyADB/data folder was populated with sutff, but nothing anywhere close to the size of what a dump should have been and the CopyADB/dump folder remained empty. Oh, Well, too much futzing around.
I plan on trying to return this product to GT boutique on Monday. The quality of workmanship of the product is good, the extremely shortsightedness of limiting the usefulness of the product is just plain dumb.
If they don't take the product back, then I may end up back here going at this in greater detail.

My experience with this product has soured me on Android, I had not realized that so many companies had hi-jacked it for thier own captive market.

This unit out of the box is good for watching movies, listneing to music (maybe) and watching movies and nothing else but watching movies.

I was expecting a productivity tool and found it so much unproductivity. None of the the included apps did anything very well, and nothing availabel at GetJAR was of any use at all.

Thank you for the all the great work, and the intial guidance.

I'm new to the MID7036, and have no experience with tablets in general. Mine took a week for me to understand; but I get a lot of productivity. For instance, I put a windows word document on a microSD card and it works great. In fact, the document is actually a data base with over 4000 major entries, with titles, names, dates, locations, and other stuff on each entry. I don't have to search this data base with a keyboard; the voice commands work perfectly and I can bring up everything I want. I use Gmail, and no problems with this tablet. I use the Firefox browser, and that app works well. I've put several books on it, and they read well. Youtube and my own MP4s work great on this machine. I don't know what else I could want. I haven't used the Bluetooth or the USB yet, but I will.

Last edited: