how to root kyros mid-1024-4g

Discussion in 'Coby Generation 2 Technical' started by chandlerr2scott, Jul 19, 2011.

1. chandlerr2scott

chandlerr2scott Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    samsung fascinate, dad has ipad
    i need help rooting this device. i thought it would not be able to be rooted the same as the 7022 because the 1024 runs froyo instead of gingerbread. can someone give me step by step instructions? the only tablet i have rooted is the gtablet.
  2. dirge

dirge Junior Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. chandlerr2scott

chandlerr2scott Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    samsung fascinate, dad has ipad
    Yes, that helped alot. Also do you think overclocking the cpu will have any adverse effects like the tablet getting to hot. this thing is soo fast it surprised me.
  4. hhugorivera

hhugorivera Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    KOBY KYROS 8024
    I think you may feel some kind of 'extra warm' :D while playing 3D demanding games. But from normal use well, I used to overclock some devices and their temperature was ok all the time. Do not act reckless, overclock to a "common" speed do not go too far or your tablet will stop working. :cool:
  5. cfirpo99

cfirpo99 Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Koby 1024
    I was able to root easily with superoneclick2.1.1, and then downloaded "com.android.vending-new.apk" from XDA site.

The new market runs fine, but netflix will not work. it will load and then crash.

Also, how do I fully get rid of the old appslibs? I renamed the APK in the /system/app dir and its still alive.

Also I cant run the googleservicesframework.apk, will not install. What is this for anyway?? do i really need it for this device?

Thanks
  6. cfirpo99

cfirpo99 Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Koby 1024
  7. cfirpo99

cfirpo99 Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Koby 1024
    Ok, you want market version 3.1.3, it even tells you if your device isnt compatible with certain apps.

I dont think i will delete the appslib after all as this unit does not have any form of restoration, the factory reset just erases files.

Has anyone ran clockwork mod on this yet, maybe i can use this to backup?

Sent from my MID1024 using Android Tablet Forum
  8. cfirpo99

cfirpo99 Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Koby 1024
    Ok im stuck. The market is cool, but a lot of apps say "this device is not compatible with this item". I found a post in the market help stating it is due to the screen size and or version...?

Then i found another post on xda suggesting to use clockwork mod to format the cache partiotion. I dont think im ready to do that yet. Plus they were talking about some other phone device.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Sent from my MID1024 using Android Tablet Forum
  9. Vernox701

Vernox701 Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Coby mid8024,Coby mid1024
    There is no custom recovery so clockwork will not work. Be careful modding. might try looking up buildprop edits to enable full market access. Check out the everything you need to know about the 7024thread there is lots of good information in that thread, just don't flash any of the roms they are not for this device.
    http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-2/18739-mid7024-all-you-need-know.html
  10. lfom

lfom Member Developer

I think his problem was due to using the latest (3.x) Market version... Downgrading to 2.3.6 fixed it.
  11. cfirpo99

cfirpo99 Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Koby 1024
    Gentlemen, thanks for the info, I will check out the 7024 thread, but for now I have managed to semi-brick the device. I was renaming APK files in the framework directory, I know that was inherently stupid, but here I am. I rebooted and coby logo flashed 2x and then then just dark screen. but the unit still has power.

ADB and SDK are seeing the device. Does the SDK only allow for development, cant you push any OS you want to the device and start new.?

I know it was the main framework APK in that system/framework. but i dont know if the googleservicesframework.apk will make it happy, i dont remember the original name of the file.
  12. flxrms

flxrms Junior Member Developer

Tablet / Device:
    epad
    What you rename in the framework directory are system files and they are important. What you can do is just download the 8024 firware, extract it and push the framework files to the system/framework directory via adb

Sent from my Coby Kyros 7024
  13. cfirpo99

cfirpo99 Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Koby 1024
    Thank you, but i chickened out and sent it back. I had trouble pushing anything to the device. it would just say file not found, or not enough permissions. it was a nightmare as it is my first time using ADB, it was also very touchy on recognizing the device. I was connected though and was able to get debug report and stuff. but no push, and i didnt see the /system/framework dir mounted either in the report.

Hopefully they will send me a replacement, and i wont be doing that again.

it was running almost perfectly with superoneclick2.1, and android market 2.3.6.. only thing missing was calendar. and some other google services i could have lived without.

I will look for that firmware and keep it on hand for next time.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  14. cfirpo99

cfirpo99 Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Koby 1024
    The firmware posted on the coby site DOES NOT WORK. I wont even post the link to it as it just made things worse. totally bricked. ROM was screwed. image was garbled upon boot., all you could make out was the time when you get to the desktop. support didnt even know the file was there.

The actual process is pretty neat, but not ready yet.
  15. lfom

lfom Member Developer

What flxrms meant was to use only the system file, not the whole package.... :(

There are many files in the ZIP archive from Coby, some of them only work for MID8024 and should not be used with any other model. But some work for other models as well, as the one with the system files (it has the file you deleted before).