How to Root MID7024

Vergil44747

Apr 18, 2011
thank you for the quick reply Dave! thats great news, i probably wont root mine until a rom is made then if i can install off SD, as for the VNC, AWESOME!

one more thing,... may be a little off topic.. how bad is the resistive screen really... i use an android phone /w a capacitive screen, and its really nice, how is the resistive compared to it?

mudknot2005

Apr 7, 2011
Yes install from SD is possible. There is always the chance of bricking the tablet, I don't think oc'ing is possible without source for the kernel. There are vnc apps for Android, I have not tried any tho.

This is correct with out the source you can not over clock. Though there is a possiblity to build from ASOP and overclock that way. That is alot of work ;).

cewong2

Apr 18, 2011
Nice to see that such a new tablet is already being worked on wish it came out a tad bit earlier so that I could've gotten the Android Market on it. Will look forward to when i can do that. But for now I can't use the tablet for the purpose that I got it for since I can't seem to get anyone to give me a hand in getting an app.

But I did want to show my support and thanks for the work you guys are doing.

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
OK... so after trying to flash the ClockworkMod recovery.img file, I definitely wiped out the factory recovery program. I can boot holding Home+Power (or Volume Up+Power) and get the "Upgrade System Activated" message. However, now it no longer loads the factory menu. The system seems to just lockup. Holding the Power button for about 10 seconds will force the hardware to turn off...but as of now, I'm walking the line or potentially bricking.

Booting up without holding any buttons boots as normal and I still get to the Home screen and everything works. I just wiped out the factory recovery image some how. So, I have 2 of these devices... one which I have done nothing with. So thus begins my search for the factory recovery IMG file. Assuming they even use IMG extension.

Just to add... I used ADB connected with USB to flash ClockworkMod.
The command I used: flash_image recovery /extsd/recovery.img
Normally this command is: flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
However the MID7024 looks to the external SD card in the /extsd folder and the internally partitioned memory as /sdcard.

-ZenTsang

Last edited:

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Zen, I've seen a reference to a file called " install-recovery.sh " but I have not located it as of yet. This is supposed to be in /system/etc/ but I do not see it there. Also, there is a directory called " firmware " that appears to be empty? I have root explorer set to show hidden files but I'm wondering if locked hidden files stay hidden even in root explorer? Even with the device rooted a large portion of locked files and folders that I have not gotten to open yet.

I'll keep poking around

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
No that's a hidden you can make hidden files shown. How about connecting to your Droid Explorer once you root the tablet though.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Hope this works on the 3x new 10" versions from COBY all 3 are less than $300 bucks.. I'll slap HONEYCOMB on that as well. 1024x600 Panel VIS.

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Hey tipster its rooted, we'll plug in Droid Explorer tonight. Hopefully can see more that way.

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Zen, the tablet is a utv210, = Herotab C8. The Herotab has a capacitance screen where the Coby is resistive. I'm downloading the firmware now and will look at it. Found it listed on merimobiles.

Edit: There is a recovery image in the download. The screen driver files appear to be the same. However, I don't see the soft buttons on the Herotab like we have. Probably not useful to you.

Last edited:

Vergil44747

Apr 18, 2011
im back guys, i have a question, how do i install apps from the sd card or onboard memory of teh kyros? do i need a file manager? is there one on the appslib?

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
Zen, I've seen a reference to a file called " install-recovery.sh " but I have not located it as of yet. This is supposed to be in /system/etc/ but I do not see it there. Also, there is a directory called " firmware " that appears to be empty? I have root explorer set to show hidden files but I'm wondering if locked hidden files stay hidden even in root explorer? Even with the device rooted a large portion of locked files and folders that I have not gotten to open yet.

I'll keep poking around

Doing my own searching since I wiped out my recovery ability... I also came across that info in the init.rc file. Using Root Explorer and searching for *recovery* (and having show hidden files on) ... I found a file in /system/bin called "recovery". I have a feeling that the "install-recovery.sh" file uses this file and moves it to a specific location and renames it to whatever the Coby was designed to pick up. Like the Nook Color for instance. I downloaded the official update for the Nook Color and the instructions said not to rename it as the Nook will see the file and automatically kick off the install. So I'm thinking something similar is the case for the Coby 7024. So I will try a few things like moving it to the root of the internal SD and renaming it with IMG on the end and rename it update-recovery.img and install-recovery.img and install-recovery.sh to see what happens.

-ZenTsang

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Zen it is setup as an executable file. I'm wondering what would happen if you put it on the root of the external SD card with no name change? I uploaded it to my laptop to see if there was anything inside the file that would indicate what it does but mostly machine code although at the end there was a lot of if error than do this type stuff.

I have tried to get a backup firmware from Coby but my emails go unanswered. That and the fact that the Coby web page continues to say " coming soon " gets those warning bells going off in my head saying we may have a premature orphan in our hands. What will happen when the mysterious XX25's hit the market? I may even be looking at Amazon's return policy at this point even tho the tablet does everything I want.

Mudknot already bricked his tablet and if Coby does not release the FW there may not be a route back to normal function short of returning.

herbswanson

May 5, 2011
I've followed all the steps outlined in Dave's initial post. All seems to go well until I reboot my tablet and attempt to execute the su command. Then I receive 'permission denied'. I have tried 3 different versions of the su command su-v3, su-v2 ( from superclickone) and a version 2.3.6.1 of 'su' downloaded from Superuser. Running 'adb shell' and attempting the modified /system/xbin/su command I also get permission denied. I know the su program works as after run /etc/psneuter and getting the root prompt, I am able to execute the /etc/xbin/su command and I receive a new root shell(so su command works while executing as a root user). This is my first android but I have years of computer experience on linux and unix operating systems. What am I missing?

Regards

Herb Swanson