How to root Titan TR810 tablet? (Android 2.3.1)

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
Hi all, android newbie here.

I have a Titan tablet, model TR810 with a Rockchip 2918 CPU and Android 2.3.1. I want to root it in order to install Linux in it. I searched on this site but didn't find instructions for this specific device, only for other RK2918 devices, so I'm not sure if they will work for this device. Will the gingerbreak hack work, being it -as I think- intended for Android 2.3? (My android version is 2.3.1). Another related question: In case the rooting doesn't work, will it "brick" the tablet?

Thanks in advance for any help!

chrislj74

Jul 16, 2012
My rk2918 tablet runs 4.03 and I was able to root it. I used adb root method. The correct driver's for your specific tablet will be your biggest hurdle. They have to be edited for the correct pid/vid of your device. I could point you to the guide I used and it should work for you given you swap the driver info.

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
Hi, chrislj74, thanks for your answer. When you say the drivers must be edited, you mean, only for rooting? (I don't intend to upgrade android yet, only rooting it). Anyway, please do post the link to the guide, so I can have an idea of what are the steps involved :)

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

chrislj74

Jul 16, 2012
Yeah the driver editing is only for getting adb to work. If it already works with your device it's simple. The actual rooting is done by the Rootthat application. Do you know the pid and vid of your device? If it's the same as mine I can just give you them and save a few steps. I might ad that I rooted mine using Windows 7 so I can't comment on other OS'es.

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
Where can I find the pid and vid of my device? I opened "Settings > About MID", but can't find anything about pid and vid there. Excuse me if this is very basic, but I'm still an Android newb (although, I generally know what I'm doing when it comes to computers and Linux) ;). BTW; I can use Windows 7 or XP if necessary in order to root it.

Thank you in advance.

chrislj74

Jul 16, 2012
Your pid and vid can be found in device manager on a windows pc. On your tablet turn on usb debugging then connect it to the pc. Also make sure it's not in mass storage mode. Find the tablet in the device manger and click properties. Then click details and hardware id's. Those will be the pid and vid.

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
Ok, this is what I found under "Hardware IDs":

Code:
USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C02&REV_0222&MI_01
USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C02&MI_01

What should I do now?

Thanks for your help :)

chrislj74

Jul 16, 2012
I'm gonna post the instructions from the file I found online. I would just send a link but I can't find the page for the life of me lol.

You need to download the Java SDK and install.
Download latest Android SDK and extract it to c:\
Then open the extracted folder and run SDK manager and install Android SDK Tools, Android SDK Platform-Tools, and Google USB driver package.
After you get that far reply here and I'll see about getting an already edited .inf for you that you can just copy and paste over the original.

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
Alright, gonna start downloading and installing the required programs to get my hands dirty with this :D. I'll probably reply tomorrow since it's getting late here (10:55pm)

Thanks a bunch for your help!

EDIT: now that we're on it, is there an easy way to install Android 4 in this tablet?

Last edited:

chrislj74

Jul 16, 2012
Your only 30 minutes ahead of me lol. As for Android 4, I honestly don't know. I would say no unless there is a custom rom floating around for your tablet or the manufacture has made a rom. I mean at the core they run off the rk2918 but are setup with specific hardware and settings. I'd be worried of bricking it. I don't plan on flashing mine with anything since I now have root and a working google playstore.

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
Ok, I won't flash it then (not for the moment, at least). I'm a bit scared of bricking it or having issues. And since everything's working fine -except the fact that I don't have root atm- I'll probably leave it as it is.

Cheers.

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
Ok, here I am again :D. (I was out all day, so I couldn't reply before).

Already downloaded the Java SDK, Android SDK and the other packages through the SDK manager. What should we do next?

chrislj74

Jul 16, 2012
2 driver edits and a reboot should get it going. It will be easier for me to make the edits and link to them than explaining the edits lol. Let me copy mine and edit them and I will send you a link and where to put them.

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
Nice, I will be around. Anyway, if you send me a link explaining how, I think I could do it (at this point I'm still not sure about what are we doing, except that, at some point we will use the adb shell to gain access to the device, if I'm not wrong?).

Thanks a lot for your help again, chrislj74.