How to root Titan TR810 tablet? (Android 2.3.1)

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
Ok, downloaded. Thank you for taking some time to help me. I'll keep you posted about my results :)

Cheers.

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
Hi Chris. I haven't got the time yet since I've been out all day (and I'm still at work). Will try it when I get home (or maybe tomorrow), and let you know. Thank you for your help and your interest!

We're in touch.

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
Sorry for the delay in answering; I've been quite busy lately.

Well, finally had some time to try it. Everything went fine until I got to the actual rooting step. UnlockRoot23 says the device is already rooted and asks if I want to root it anyway. I select "yes", but after a while, I get an error saying "Failed to get shell root!". So I tried with RootThat, and got the dialog hat you can see in the attached image. Not sure if I should select the text that appears there and hit 'commit changes'. What puzzles me is that the device name doesn't appear there but a random piece of text. Any ideas?

Attachments

• $RootThat.jpg
    $RootThat.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 576

chrislj74

Jul 16, 2012
What do you get when you run adb devices command? I'm really not sure what that funky spanish message is all about. It's possible the apps may not work for gingerbread. Try some other tools around and see if any can succeed.

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
Hi again,

When I run 'adb devices' I get
"List of devices attached
0123456ETCETCETC Device"

(I changed a bit the device number since I'm not sure if it's ok to show it here).

As for the error message, I realized it was due to the path to the windowsstart script containing spaces, so I renamed the folder without spaces, ran the script again and this time the device was detected properly. However, I get the following message when trying to root it:

Code:
adbd is already running as root
List of devices attached 
0123456ETCETCETC    device

adbd is already running as root
remount succeeded
failed to copy 'C:\Users\Usuario\Desktop\Android_root\Drivers_root\Root_apps\RootThat-GB\RootThat\su' to '/system/xbin/su': Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: Read-only file system

failed to copy 'C:\Users\Usuario\Desktop\Android_root\Drivers_root\Root_apps\RootThat-GB\RootThat\Superuser.apk' to '/system/app/Superuser.apk': Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/app/Superuser.apk: No such file or directory
::Success!!::

Though it says 'Success', think it's not working since when I open a terminal on the device I'm not root (the prompt is a $ sign, not a # sign, and when I execute 'su', it returns an error saying uid 10044 is not allowed to su). Not sure what might be wrong.

Will keep looking for info on the web. Anyway, what other tools would you suggest?

Last edited:

chrislj74

Jul 16, 2012
Something else you can try is side loading Su and Superuser from the rootthat zip to the tablet if it allows non-market installs. I was hoping it would go smooth for you since it's pretty difficult to pinpoint the problem. But I will say this much, if adb is functioning 100% and the tablet shows under devices when running the command that the problem is in the root tools or the tablet itself. Do you know if the tablet's firmare is flashed to a read only chip maybe? That would prevent rooting possibly but I don'y know for sure.

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
I think it can be set up to allow non market installs (has the option to enable unknown sources, at least). When you say side loading these files, you mean installing the Superuser apk file? I think I can do it, but the su file is simply an executable, not an apk, and not being root, I think I couldn't copy it to the file system. As for the firmware, I'm not sure if it's flashed to a read only file system. Will try to find it out and let you know (probably tomorrow, since -again- it's getting late here and unfortunately I must work tomorrow morning).

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

chrislj74

Jul 16, 2012
You would have to push su over adb I think. That and change permissions. I would try any gingerbread rooting app you can locate and give them a shot since you have adb functioning now.

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
Found a GingerBreak apk. I'll probably try it tomorrow. BTW, I checked the file system inside the tablet and the root user has read-write permissions on it, so I guess it's not flashed read only.

I'll let you know whatever I get tomorrow.

Cheers!

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
Well, I installed the gingerbreak apk and it automatically rebooted the tablet, but didn't manage to install superuser apk nor the su executable. So I followed another guide that explains how to do it all manually through the android sdk interface. I can push all the necessary files to /data/local/tmp, btu when I attempt to copy them to /system/bin -or modify the permissions of files on /system/bin, I get a "Read-only file system" error. I attempted to remount the file system read-write with mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system, but it doesn't seem to work; if I do it form the adb shell I get no error but the system is still read only, and if I do it from the phone, I can't because I'm not root on the phone (although I get a # sign on the adb shell).

So, it seems I'm half way to rooting it, but the fact that the file system is read only doesn't allow me to make changes to it. Hope I don't have to extract the .img file that came with the tablet to change the permissions and flash it again. Any ideas?

chrislj74

Jul 16, 2012
I just read something that maybe why we can'y root it. It references the rom being packed with cramfs which seems to be a read only file system. If that's the case unpacking rooting and repacking may be the only way.