How to root Titan TR810 tablet? (Android 2.3.1)

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
You're right, it's formated in cramfs, indeed. I had read something about it before when searching for this error, but wasn't sure which fs type was it formated to. So, I executed 'busybox mount' from the adb shell and got this entry for the /system partition:

Code:
/dev/block/mtdblock4 on /system type cramfs (ro,relatime)

So, it means I must unpack the .img file that comes with the tablet, root it, pack it and flash the tablet? If so, do you know of any tools to unpack/pack the .img file?

BTW, I was reading another website in Spanish about this tablet and someone said he has successfully rooted it, so there must be some way. (He doesn't say how, though).

Well, gonna start looking for a way to manipulate the .img file.

Thanks again for your help. This has been very educational.

chrislj74

Jul 16, 2012
Unpacking the the update.img is pretty simple. But unpacking the individual .img files from inside update.img is more difficult. I'm actually attempting the same to make myself a rooted rom with gapps installed and some other mods. I need Linux but haven't attempted anything yet.

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
I'm on linux and I've tried to mount the update.img file but I haven't been able yet. BTW, if you need Linux but don't want to go through the hassle of installing it, you can use some live distro, burn it to a cd and boot from it (I would suggest Linux Mint since it's really easy to use).

chrislj74

Jul 16, 2012
I was trying to run Ubuntu on virtual machine but I had zero success lol. To complicated for the moment.

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
If it's on a VM, you just have to press next, accept, next, accept to install it ;).

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
Well, there have been some advancements but now I'm stuck with a little issue. I found this excellent tutorial here on how to unpack and repack a custom firmware: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-repack-custom-firmwares-rockchip-rk28xx.html. There is one little issue though: AFPTool couldn't unpack the update.img file, so I made a img file of the /system partition through the adb shell, copied it into my PC, mounted it, made the necessary changes and created a system.img file back.

The problem I'm facing now is how to flash the tablet back with this img file. Since it's not an update.img containing all the necessary file systems inside the tablet, I guess I can't do it from the rk29xx batch tool that comes with the CD. Found some information about fastboot, which does allow to flash individual file systems, but for it to work I need to boot the tablet in bootloader mode. The problem is, I have no idea how to do it, and haven't found information for this specific tablet on the web.

I feel I'm one step closer. Will keeep looking and let you know.

Cheers.

Last edited:

laz7

Jul 16, 2012
Thanks Chris, I found that link a couple hours ago after I posted the above. It automatically roots the 'system' image too. So, now I am root!! ;)

BTW, doesn't this tool allow you to unpack the other *.img files contained inside the update.img? (So as to make the custom rom you mentioned before?). I didn't try to unpack the other img files, but I'm curious. Anyway, if you need help with Linux, let me know. I'm not a guru, but I usually can find my way around.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited: