(How To) Setup New Market (Fix Lack of Apps Showing in Portrait Mode)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
The market on the NOOKcolor, even if it looks like the new market, will only show applications that conform to the Android API 7 API level (2.1 and below). Android 2.2 apps all conform to the Android API 8, so they won't show up on your nook unless you drop FroYo onto it.

Three things have been known to help with listing more apps:

1. Turn your nook sideway to landscape and more apps should show up.

2. Use Nook Color Tools:
Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > (Filter by all) Market > Clear Cache (NOT DATA!)
Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Google Services Framework > Clear Data > Force Close
Reboot

3. Install the new market apk: Use Root Explorer, changed the System/App folder to R/W and then you will be able to upgrade the current Market to the newer market apk. With the new marketplace all apps are showing without needing to turn the screen to landscape.
Vending (new).apk
Vending (original).apk

revenge8

Feb 10, 2011
How can i tell if i have the "new" market already? Running 1.1 ROM

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
How can i tell if i have the "new" market already? Running 1.1 ROM

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Use Nook Color Tools:
Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > (Filter by all) Market > see version #

Old apk version is 1.71, new apk is 2.2.7 and 1.1 release 2 ROM has new market 2.2.6.

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
Does appbrain show all of the apps that the standard android market has?

sent from my rooted nook color

discothan

Feb 16, 2011
I think installing a new HomeScreen/Application manager and setting that app as the default manager will also help display everything you installed.

onclebob

Feb 28, 2011
Hi, I wana do this (maybe it can fix my market that can't download) but i don't see "Google Services Framework" in application list. Any hint?

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Hi, I wana do this (maybe it can fix my market that can't download) but i don't see "Google Services Framework" in application list. Any hint?

If your looking at Downloaded Apps it might not show, be sure you are looking at All Apps.

eyedoc

Feb 17, 2011
So for clarification for a noob. Any reason to do this if your running 2.1? Or is this only for 2.2 and up? Thanks

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
this option is only possible in 2.2 ROMs and above

Nope I believe anyone can get there. :)

Nook Color Tools > All Settings > Application Settings > Manage Applications > All tab (press menu, filter all) > Google Services Framework
snap20110302_232115.png

or

Titanium Back > backup/restore > Google Services Framework
snap20110302_231838.png

So for clarification for a noob. Any reason to do this if your running 2.1? Or is this only for 2.2 and up? Thanks

These fixes are mainly for b&n software (android 2.1) people but could apply to anyone that having this issue and running an older version market.

Last edited:

eyedoc

Feb 17, 2011
3. Install the new market apk: Use Root Explorer, changed the System/App folder to R/W and then you will be able to upgrade the current Market to the newer market apk. With the new marketplace all apps are showing without needing to turn the screen to landscape.
Vending (new).apk
Vending (original).apk

How do you do this? Used astro file manager: looked at edit and preferences, couldn't figure out how to change folder.

Emperor Dano

Mar 7, 2011
I have Root explorer. I clicked 'Mount r/w' then changed system/ to write for all but it won't save. There another step that needs to be done to get this to work? Can it be done through ADB (if so, the code?)?