how to tether android tab to android phone?

ianzappa

May 16, 2011
can i tether my android tab{acer a500}to my android phone so i can use its 3g for google nav etc etc? .....................

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
There are several apps for your phone to turn it into a wifi hotspot. You will most likely need to root your phone, and then I recommend Wireless Tether for Root Users.

Sent from my Bottle of Smoke using Android Tablet Forum

Batchman

May 14, 2011
If your Android phone has version 2.2 or above, Wifi hot spot capability is built in (unless your carrier's version has that feature disabled). Look in the settings under "wireless & networkks" for "tethering & mobile portable hotspots". If you don't have ver 2.2 or above (or your carrier disabled tethering), you'll no doubt need to root and install a tethering app, as mentioned above.

ianzappa

May 16, 2011
If your Android phone has version 2.2 or above, Wifi hot spot capability is built in (unless your carrier's version has that feature disabled). Look in the settings under "wireless & networkks" for "tethering & mobile portable hotspots". If you don't have ver 2.2 or above (or your carrier disabled tethering), you'll no doubt need to root and install a tethering app, as mentioned above.

i can tether my tablet to my pc no problem i want to tether my android tab to an android phone,tried lots of apps none work .

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
If you are able to turn your phone into a wifi hotspot, then you SHOULD be able to connect your tablet. You may have to make some changes in order to enable ad-hoc however. If you search this forum using the following terms; "ad-hoc, wifi, and tether" you should find what you are looking for.

johnmcf

Jul 17, 2011
I have a new Thrive tablet and a Droid X with Gingerbread .596...This worked slicker than snot first time, took maybe 30 seconds. Been looking for the last few days. Question: is this going to result in a billing from my service provider? When I activated wi fi hotspot on my DroidX I didn't get any warnings that it was going to result in an additional charge. Thanks for any replies!

Apota

Jul 13, 2011
I have the same problem. My Motorola Droid A855 only transmits in Ad-Hoc and the Toshiba Thrive can't see it. I did the serach and I found patches for other tabs but nothing for the Thrive. How do I know what path to use with the Thrive? Thanks for your helep and time.

If you are able to turn your phone into a wifi hotspot, then you SHOULD be able to connect your tablet. You may have to make some changes in order to enable ad-hoc however. If you search this forum using the following terms; "ad-hoc, wifi, and tether" you should find what you are looking for.

cwk

Jul 14, 2011
I've been very happy with EasyTether whichI use to tether my laptop. EasyTether does not require root. After I rooted my phone, I found another USB-based tethering app built in with the ROM, but it not as fast or reliable as ET. When I got my A500 I queried the ET developers as to whether they would create a way to tether the tablet to the phone. They are working on it but gave no arrival estimate.

dookus

Feb 24, 2012
I have successfully Tethered my Samsung Galaxy Fit phone (Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread) to my Toshiba AT100 (Thrive) by simply enabling "Mobile AP" then in Mobile AP settings, setting a password in the security section, after doing this go into mobile network settings on your tablet and look for the phone (AndroidAP is the default SSID) and attempt connect to your phone (look for AndroidAP) it will show as a wireless network, enter your password and surf the net etc.