[HOW TO] Unbrick Ainol Crystal

Discussion in 'Novo 7 Crystal' started by fuser, Jan 28, 2013.

?

Were you able to unbrick your device?

1. Yes, from a "soft" brick

33.3%
  2. Yes, from a "hard" brick

16.7%
  3. Yes, from a "deep" brick

33.3%
  4. No, I was unable to unbrick my device

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fuser

fuser Senior Member Developer

Tablet / Device:
    HP Touchpad, Ainol Crystal/Hero/Fire, Cube U30gt Mini-S
    So my feeling is that there is probably something wrong with your screen from seeing those pictures. It might be something simple like a bad connection, try removing the ribbon cable, take a look at the contacts and see if they need to be cleaned and re-seat the cable. It could be the touch firmware installed on the tablet but I've never seen the halo thing before. One question I have before going any further is if you are sure the tablet is 121108G13426 and not 121208G13426? The next thing I would examine is to grab some type of magnification and look all across the motherboard and all the connections for loose components or bad soldering. I think the chip you are talking about is the CPU (not entirely sure though) but it does get ridiculously hot, especially when charging or under heavy use. I used one of those laser thermometers one time and it was over 100 degrees F if I'm recalling correctly. It also gets hotter when the device is bricked and plugged in than when it is functioning properly and plugged in, I don't know why.

After checking out the hardware, regardless of whether your serial number is 121108 or 121208 I would try the FLDC method next. If you find out that your tablet is 121208, use the entire method because it is a batch 3 not batch 2. If it's 121108, first use the AML software to flash the usb_recovery.zip files and see if you get adb access to the tablet. If you do get adb access, run the following commands, then pop in the sd card and try again.

Code:
    adb push fdisk.cmd /tmp
    adb push fdisk.sh /tmp
    adb shell chmod 775 /tmp/fdisk.sh
    adb shell /tmp/fdisk.sh
    adb shell parted -s /dev/block/avnftli mkfs 1 fat32
    The shell parted command will manually reformat your internal system partition correctly. Next check out the "Manual Partition Fixing" section of my guide, you might need to come back to this and check some of the partitions or relabel avnftli but for now you can probably just try the sd card method again first. If it doesn't work then look deeper into the partitions and you might find that you also need to format and/or label mtdblock8 and/or avnftli1. If you do then try the SD card again. If that still doesn't work let me know. Also feel free to post the adb results from the parted and fdisk commands if you have questions.

2. Craigo123

Craigo123 Junior Member

Hello Again,

I checked the connector for the LCD and it seemed clean and firmly pushed in with no damage. A good thought tho.

And so the saga continues....

The serial number on the back of the tab is 121108G13426 so I used AMLogicBurningTool and flashed usb_recovery.zip from the FLDC_batch3_recovery_cm101_3.zip file. It completed to 100% and I felt optimistic (I also ran erase NAND to clear it through first).

So I re-plug the device back in and the only thing that shows up in device manager is the WorldCup Device. So I figure the PC is recognising the ID number of the device and applying the driver it already has installed. I think perhaps I need to update the driver to ADB driver from your fuser-invent-ADB Drivers-2014042-443.zip file. I do this and choose to install this driver software anyway as it is an unsigned driver. The driver installs so I know it is correct to this device, but gives an error message of "This device cannot start. (code 10)" and the device has a yellow exclamation mark triangle under device manager.

$Driver.jpg

I figure this could be because I'm using Win7 64bit and so try it on a 32bit version of Win7 only to find the same problem.

Turning off/on the tab doesn't solve the problem, but I did notice that the device would seemingly automatically connect/disconnect several times before showing as being unable to start. I guess this is just a timeout kind of thing in windows.

Changing USB port and USB cable made no difference either.

Running "adb devices" in a command windows shows nothing listed under "list of devices attached".

So, unfortunately, unless I've done something wrong, it seems I can't get ADB access. That's a real shame because I really wanted to try your suggestion as it looks like it's getting to the nitty-gritty.

It's a tricky one this. Any thoughts?
    :(

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  3. fuser

Tablet / Device:
    Sorry, I only have a second but did you disable all windows automatic driver updates before trying to install the driver? Also make sure to check the file I mention in my guide, it's like win_usb or something like that and see if your tablets ID and VEN numbers are in there. If not, you'll have to add them manually, save the file and then try and install the driver. Also, if the FLDC USB recovery file doesn't work after you try that, take the TWRP Or CWM uimage_recovery file for the batch2 crystal and replace the one in the FLDC package, just in case there are issues between the them and you need a specific one. Just a couple of thoughts. I'm out of town all day for work tomorrow, but I'll check back in on Friday to see if that helped at all.

4. Craigo123

Craigo123 Junior Member

Hi,
    I tried ensuring the USB\VID_1B8E&PID_C003 from my tablet was listed in the android_winusb.inf file of the ADB drivers and it already was.
    I tried adding the uImage_recovery file from CRYSTAL_1119_rescue_files.zip to the usb_recovery.zip I took from FLDC_batch3_recovery_cm101_3.zip, but when I flashed this new modified usb_recovery to the tab and tried to install the ADB Drivers again, the problem persisted. The only difference was that this time it did not say the device couldn't be started immediately after installation, but the device once again did its whole connect/disconnect several times thing again before it finally said "This device cannot start. (code 10)" again.

$ADB Installed after Flash Changing uImage_Recovery for TWRP one..jpg

I also tried with a uImage_recovery file I had specifically from this file TWRP_v2.3.3.0_aurora2-elf2-crystal.zip which I had downloaded when I unbricked my last Crystal, but this did not work to help install ADB drivers either.

Also tried again to boot from SD Card shorting pins 7+8 using a KingMax 1GB MicroSD using elf2_0527.img and replacing files with those from CRYSTAL_1119_rescue_files.zip, but to no avail.

Any more suggestions? I am willing to try as much as possible, and am still very grateful for your assistance.

Thanks,
    Craig

:confused:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  5. fuser

Tablet / Device:
    Hey Craig. Do you happen to have another computer or have a friend/work computer you could try this on? That would be my next move, to see if the problem has anything to do with the computer or if you get the exact same situation of connect/disconnect on another computer as well, then you can verify that it has something to do with the tablet itself.

6. Craigo123

Craigo123 Junior Member

Hi,

Yes, I have a few. I will try Win7 32-Bit and WinXP Pro OS's to see if that makes any difference. It might be a couple days before I get back, but I will get back as soon as I have tried this out (gotta install XP on something first!).

Cheers,
    Craig

7. Craigo123

Craigo123 Junior Member

Hi,

OK, so I get the same problem with Win7 Ultimate 32-Bit and WinXP Pro 32-Bit as well. I have tried it after flashing the standard usb_recovery.zip and the one I made with the TWRP uImage_recovery file. Still no go.

The only difference was that at one point the XP machine recognised the tab as a "USB Device" and not "M6-Chip", but after installing the ADB drivers, I get the same device cannot start (Code10) business as before.

1>
    $1.JPG

2>
    $2.JPG

3>
    $3.JPG

It was worth a try I guess. It's almost like the key is in, but it doesn't fit the lock. I am wondering if someone has swapped out the main board for a batch3, so even though we're going off the serial number on the case, it might be leading us up the wrong path??

Is there a way to easily check out this theory, unless you have any other insight?

Thanks,
    Craig

8. fuser

Tablet / Device:
    It's possible it has a different board if it was ever sent in for repair. It's also possible to convert batch 3 to batch 2, which I did accidentally once, so it might be possible to do he opposite. If it was me, I would try the complete batch 3 FLDC method. It might hard brick the tablet but you can always jump the pins. Or did you try the complete FLDC method already?

What the computer test tells me is that it is most certainly an issue with the tablets partition tables, partition formatting or a very slim chance there is some damage to the USB port in the tablet. You should be able to see if its loose or any solder joints broke though.

Fixing partitions is covered in the manual partition fixing section but you do need to be able to get a working TWRP with and access on the tab. So I'm at a loss, but I'll keep thinking about it.

9. Craigo123

Craigo123 Junior Member

Hi,

Plan of action!> I will first try use a multimeter and a butchered USB cable to check for continuity between the open cable ends and the pins on the board side of the USB connector. Should these be fine then I will continue with the full FLDC method first (not tried this yet). I will also get out the magnifying glass and a pair of tweezers to test as many components on the board as I can for broken solder joints. I guess if I cannot get the TWRP installed, then that's gotta be it for this tablet. Spent a lot of time with this one...

Good job I have a patient wife..!

I have also read Christian Troy's post on creating a rescue SD card, but I'm not very au fait with Linux. Could be time to learn tho?! Is there any prerequisite for this to work or might it be a possibility in this case?

Thanks again for all your help so far, it's a shame that all our attempts have met at dead ends.

I will check back again in a few days time to let you know what occurs.

• Like Like x 2
  10. fuser

Tablet / Device:
    You can definitely try CT's rescue SD card method but it for Linux and it's also just creating a rescue SD card image (which already exists for your tab) and then writing it to the SD card. I have had some people say that they couldn't get the USB Image Tool to work with the rescue card images and that CT's method worked for them though, so there isn't really much harm in trying, it's just the time investment you would need to put in if you aren't already dual booting or running Linux in a virtual machine. Definitely keep me updated on what happens.

11. Craigo123

Craigo123 Junior Member

Hi,

Just to keep you updated. I have not been able to spend much more time with this tab recently. I thoroughly intend to give it one more shot with looking over the board for problem components, though this really only extends to checking out the solder points more than anything. I will try checking the USB port if I have time.

My feeling is that I could spend a whole load of time with the Linux thing and get nowhere. I have already spent a lot of time with this one as you know..!

If someone else is in the same position as me, and has followed this thread then I would honestly say that we have tried just about everything possible and the above is the only way forward that I can see right now - either hardware checking or go for the SD card under Linux thing.

Either way, I will post my hardware checking findings here when I have had a look.

Cheers,
    Craig

• Like Like x 2
  12. rshazadg

rshazadg Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Ainol Novo Discover
    recently i flashed "JustBoost_[cxz]" and restart my tablet its run for 1 mint hai turned off now its not connecting with pc and not turn on light nothing happening. Please Help me to unbrick this tablet Ainol novo discover sorry for bad english. $IMG00020-20140427-1218.jpg $IMG00021-20140427-1218.jpg $IMG00022-20140427-1219.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
  13. Craigo123

Craigo123 Junior Member

Hi,

OK, so I checked over the entire board and found nothing out of place whatsoever.

Nothing.

At all.

Guess it's the end of the road for this one. I really thank you fuser for your efforts and can honestly say this tab has had the best chance it could've. Now it's of to tablet Heaven (ebay) for someone else to have a go at or rip apart for spares.

That said, I have learnt a lot from this experience and have acquired a new-found faith for the good guys on the internet who offer their knowledge and experience to help fellow sufferers of bricked hardware.

Thanks, and until the next time!

Craig

• Like Like x 2
  14. fuser

Tablet / Device:
    Sorry it didn't work but I'm glad you took something positive away from the whole experience. If that donation today was from you, thanks you very much!

15. Craigo123

Craigo123 Junior Member

Yes, it was. Have a beer on me. :)

• Like Like x 2