(HOW TO) Uninstall Clockwork Recovery and revert to a stock image

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
Our first task will be to format the /system and /data folders (which will wipe out your rooting and anything you have installed on the Nook (the same as 8 failed attempts and PWR+N key for a factory reset)

1. Scroll down the mounts and storage option in Clockwork
2. Select format /system, verify that you want to do this
3. When complete, select format /data and verify yes

You have now wiped out the internal memory (rebooting your NC now will give you an error message)
Now we want to flash the zipped stock file.

I bought a nook color that had honeycomb running on an sd card, im trying to restore to stock, and everytime i try to format anything within cwr 3.0.1.0 it says "error formatting /system, or error formatting /data" i occasionally can log in and attempt to deregister and restore to factory settings or whatever but it never goes through...

my question is, if cwr simply says error formatting /system.
how do i format system?

any suggestions? im going on day two no sleep, im sure im just over looking something.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
So what is running internally? If you are only running HC on the SD card all you need to do is simply power down, remove the card and reboot to stock unless something else is running internally.

Of course you are going to have errors trying to return a bootable HC SD card to stock since the instructions are not for how to remove a ROM from a bootable SD card. To do that, once you have rebooted into your stock Nook insert the HC card, go to settings, device info, unmount the card and choose format.

JP

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
well, it looks like there is some sort of nookiefroyo or something running resident on the nook, i took the sd card out, formatted it and put clockwork on it and started following "restore to nook" tutorials across the web... none worked because i kept getting stuck at the "format /system and /data where it tells me "error formatting /system etc...

so are you saying i need to do the honeycomb from sd again? and do a system wipe from within honeycomb while its running?

it would be awesome if i knew why it is giving me the errors so i could trouble shoot based on "this is the problem, and these are the ways of circumventing this issue"

but alas, all i have to go on is "error"

from your post it sounds like because i just pulled the card and formatted it the system is still expecting to run from that card, and therefore doesnt wanna let me format system or data?

so when i get off work, i assume i should...

set my sd card up to run honeycomb from it again
and boot up into honeycomb
go to settings etc etc unmount the sd card, then format the sd card
then i should have whatever was installed on the nook color internal originally? and then the restore to stock tutorials should work properly?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
well, it looks like there is some sort of nookiefroyo or something running resident on the nook, i took the sd card out, formatted it and put clockwork on it and started following "restore to nook" tutorials across the web... none worked because i kept getting stuck at the "format /system and /data where it tells me "error formatting /system etc...

so are you saying i need to do the honeycomb from sd again? and do a system wipe from within honeycomb while its running?

it would be awesome if i knew why it is giving me the errors so i could trouble shoot based on "this is the problem, and these are the ways of circumventing this issue"

but alas, all i have to go on is "error"

from your post it sounds like because i just pulled the card and formatted it the system is still expecting to run from that card, and therefore doesnt wanna let me format system or data?

so when i get off work, i assume i should...

set my sd card up to run honeycomb from it again
and boot up into honeycomb
go to settings etc etc unmount the sd card, then format the sd card
then i should have whatever was installed on the nook color internal originally? and then the restore to stock tutorials should work properly?

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you, just the opposite. It sounded like you were trying to do a restore to stock while running the HC SD card which will not work. The issue has nothing to do with HC or the SD card unless you are running your ROM from the bootable card and trying to restore.

Now we have gotten to the real issue. You have/had nookiefroyo or something else running internally so removing the HC card only lets you run whatever is actaully on the Nook. Now you want to restore that back to stock. Follow the proceedure and ignore the errors. When you flash the stock ROM back on to the Nook see if it boots. If not let us know where it is getting stuck and then we can work it out.

JP

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
i have attempted this, ignoring the errors, but ill either get stuck at the N screen after the "touch the future of reading" screen.

i have also tried various stock .zip files, and boot restore stuff from that one guy, i cant remember his android tablets username, but none seem to work, occasionally the nook will boot up into the rooted version, and only once has it been functional, usually the wifi wont work, and all apps and settings will force close as soon as i open them...

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
just by judging this situation from a glance, it seems as if whatever is running on the nook currently, that is preventing any sort of "write over" of image files... is there some surefire way to wipe all the data completely from the nook so i can use clockwork on an sdcard to restore stock?

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
also when i get the native os to boot, (whatever that is [assumed nookie froyo]) and i tried the deregister and restore to stock option... it fails everytime... dont know if that helps. its as iff the nook is a giant sd card, and the write protection switch is permanently set to block any file writing.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Something isn't adding up here. Are you sure you aren't returned to stock already? If you bought the Nook running an HC SD and something else was installed internally do you know what the stock Nook looks like? I ask because if you didn't have it to begin with you might not realize it is stock. There is no way of blocking this restore procedure that I am aware of.

This is a really good method for returning to stock and has been used successfully many times. The only other step you might need to try is once you are stuck booting to the n then you hold the power and n buttons at the same time and it will do the final erase and deregister.

Edit: Also try clearing your cache partition and dalvik cache prior to system and data.

If you have followed the procedure exactly then you should have the stock ROM flashed onto your nook. If the power and n button combo doesn't work try the 8 boot method followed by the power+n combo.

JP

Last edited:

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
i have not tried the power and n button, i have been trying the power and volume up rocker, and n button.

so ill boot from sd into clockwork, ill clear cache, and dalvik, then try system and then try data
then ill install via .zip and choose the files i get from the original post,
then ill take sd card out and power down
then...

i press the powerbutton and n button...
while its powered off? or while its booting up?

i guess i should add my ultimate goal here was to start fresh, and root and flash the cm7 most stable/current nook color image.

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
also could i get a specific 8boot force restart guide? i get the general idea, but im not sure im doing it correctly.. if someone could get me a specific timing, when and where to press, and when and where to let go, and where to repeat... im kind of slow about understanding those boot order button pressing things, when i had an iphone, the different button presses to reboot it jailbreaked or whatever... pain in the a$$!

i appreciate all this help! i love hacking/mod/support communities. everyone is out there for everyone else! i hope i can give back one day!

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
im pretty sure ive got an idea of what will work, i get off work in 2 hours, and ill give it a shot and attempt to install the newest cyanogenmod 7 for nook, and see what happens! ill report back in about 3 hours. thanks again jp.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
i have not tried the power and n button, i have been trying the power and volume up rocker, and n button.

so ill boot from sd into clockwork, ill clear cache, and dalvik, then try system and then try data
then ill install via .zip and choose the files i get from the original post,
then ill take sd card out and power down
then...

i press the powerbutton and n button...
while its powered off? or while its booting up?

i guess i should add my ultimate goal here was to start fresh, and root and flash the cm7 most stable/current nook color image.

Ok, one thing at at time. You are on the right track now and have the steps correct. Try pressing power and n if you get stuck at the boot screen n. Hold both and it should ask if you want to erase and deregister. Once done then you should boot normally into stock Nook.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sounds good. Now since your real goal is to go to CM7 you don't actually need to revert to stock or root. Why don't you go ahead and see if you can get stock to boot using the method discussed.

Eitherway since what you really want is CM7 you need to do the following.

1. Put CM7, Gapps and if you want an OC kernel on your bootable CWR SD card.
2. Insert card and power up.
3. Wipe caches, system and data. If any errors just continue.
4. Flash CM7 zip, then Gapps, then the OC kernel in that order.
5. Unmount SD card.
6. Reboot.

If all goes well you should be running CM7

JP

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
i did this last night and it didnt work :( what if i found someone who had a backup file that they made of their nook and i used clockwork to restore to that?
would that work?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
i did this last night and it didnt work :( what if i found someone who had a backup file that they made of their nook and i used clockwork to restore to that?
would that work?

Yes, that would work too. I read your other post and it seems you have some confusion about what you are doing. I beleive you may be using the wrong version of CWR to flash certain ROMs. Try making a bootable SD with the latest version of CWR which supports both ext3 & ext 4 so we know that isn't the problem.

JP