(HOW TO) Uninstall Clockwork Recovery and revert to a stock image

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
i just used the current cwr and formatted system and data and it both had errors, and then i installed cm7 zip and then unmounted and rebooted, still stuck at n screen. where could i find a backup file to try and do a recovery from?

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
okay, so i did it over again and this time it let me boot into the system, BUT all i got was the nookie froyo that the guy before me had, and none of the fromatting that i did affected anything, his apps are still here, his email is logged in... and when i try to deregister and reset, it gives me an error and wont do it...

there is no rom manager or any of the apps that i could do anything with are installed, and the original login info and stuff is messed up so i cant go into the app store..
im afraid to reboot because this is only the fourth time ive been able to get into the system.

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
I understand Jake's frustration because I am kinda in the same boat. I ran Honeycomb for a while off the SD card but since it had no flash abilities I decided to put Gingerbread on the eMMC. I followed everything to the letter. I tired a stable C7 and then several nightlies. I initially tried the OC mod as well. I can always het it up and running but get an immediate FC for android.process.media twice upon startup and also whenever I try to download an app from the market. I also get a FC when trying to enter the CyanogenMod settings, which I need to do because right now I do not have any of the page back options on the bottom of the screen. I have tried wiping the sata, system, cache and Davlik cache. Many times I get an error when trying to wire any cache, usually when I have booted into CW from the SD card. In any event, I am sure everything is not getting wiped clean because I can wipe everything with the SD card, remove the card and reboot and I still get into C7 with the continuing FCs. By rights, if I do a wipe and reboot without installing anything I should just get an error since there should be nothing there to boot into. Also, if I reinstall just C7 and wipe I still get the FC and the market is still on my Nook. Something is preventing a wipe of the eMMC.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
okay, so i did it over again and this time it let me boot into the system, BUT all i got was the nookie froyo that the guy before me had, and none of the fromatting that i did affected anything, his apps are still here, his email is logged in... and when i try to deregister and reset, it gives me an error and wont do it...

there is no rom manager or any of the apps that i could do anything with are installed, and the original login info and stuff is messed up so i cant go into the app store..
im afraid to reboot because this is only the fourth time ive been able to get into the system.

Are you sure you are using the right zip file and not installing a backup zip of the original nookiefroyo that was on there? Second I am thinking maybe he had it setup as a dual boot in emmc and the reason you are having issues is because you are only formatting one partition of the dual boot setup (the one that is not the default) so it appears that nothing is happening. At this point I am going to suggest repartitioning the internal memory using the method described for making the new Nooks with the blue/green dots to get them to the original partition layout.

Try this [HOW-TO] Repartitioning the NC back to 1GB/data, 5GB/media - xda-developers

At the moment that is the only reason I can think of for not wiping the internal memory if you are following the procedure.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I understand Jake's frustration because I am kinda in the same boat. I ran Honeycomb for a while off the SD card but since it had no flash abilities I decided to put Gingerbread on the eMMC. I followed everything to the letter. I tired a stable C7 and then several nightlies. I initially tried the OC mod as well. I can always het it up and running but get an immediate FC for android.process.media twice upon startup and also whenever I try to download an app from the market. I also get a FC when trying to enter the CyanogenMod settings, which I need to do because right now I do not have any of the page back options on the bottom of the screen. I have tried wiping the sata, system, cache and Davlik cache. Many times I get an error when trying to wire any cache, usually when I have booted into CW from the SD card. In any event, I am sure everything is not getting wiped clean because I can wipe everything with the SD card, remove the card and reboot and I still get into C7 with the continuing FCs. By rights, if I do a wipe and reboot without installing anything I should just get an error since there should be nothing there to boot into. Also, if I reinstall just C7 and wipe I still get the FC and the market is still on my Nook. Something is preventing a wipe of the eMMC.

Your problem sounds different. If you moved on from CM stable to nightlies and OC kernels you can expect that you may have problems with focre closes. Unless you are using a stable config there is a good chance you are going to run into those issues. Wiping the caches is not a cure all for force closing. If the kernel or nightlies have issues wiping the caches won't help.

I am not sure that you are really wiping when you say everyting should be gone. clearing your caches won't make a difference to rebooting and you will still boot into the installed ROM. If you reinstall CM7 of course the Market is going to be back on your Nook even if you wiped it because you reinstalled it.

To start clean try this procedure.

1. Create a bootable CWR SD card or make sure you can access and internally installed CWR.
2. Place the stable CM7 and Gapps from here on your SD card Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki.
3. Power down and insert the bootable CWR SD card or insert the card with the zips above and boot into CWR from ROM Manager.
4. Wipe cache partition and dalvik cache.
5. Wipe system and data.
6. Flash CM7 then flash Gapps.
7. Unmount SD card, remove and reboot.

JP

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Your problem sounds different. If you moved on from CM stable to nightlies and OC kernels you can expect that you may have problems with focre closes. Unless you are using a stable config there is a good chance you are going to run into those issues. Wiping the caches is not a cure all for force closing. If the kernel or nightlies have issues wiping the caches won't help.

I am not sure that you are really wiping when you say everyting should be gone. clearing your caches won't make a difference to rebooting and you will still boot into the installed ROM. If you reinstall CM7 of course the Market is going to be back on your Nook even if you wiped it because you reinstalled it.

To start clean try this procedure.

1. Create a bootable CWR SD card or make sure you can access and internally installed CWR.
2. Place the stable CM7 and Gapps from here on your SD card Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki.
3. Power down and insert the bootable CWR SD card or insert the card with the zips above and boot into CWR from ROM Manager.
4. Wipe cache partition and dalvik cache.
5. Wipe system and data.
6. Flash CM7 then flash Gapps.
7. Unmount SD card, remove and reboot.

JP

What I mean is I wiped everything. I even went so far as to format the system directory. When i reboot without the SD card I should not be able to boot into CM7. Also, I got the force close messages with the very first install. I truly believe that CWR is not clearing the info.

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
so i followed both of those, within clockwork it looked like it had removed a second partition, it said successful and then the revert to original books/personal media partitions and that said it worked, i followed those steps, so i rebooted a few times and then it got stuck on the n screen every time, so i figured okay i got it now i just need to follow the instructions for what happens when you get stuck on the n screen, the next time i booted it brought up the os, (still the original owneres muckery of rooting/modding) but on the bright side, i decided it might help if we could figure out what build is on there now or what root or whatever, when i first got a nook in january, i rooted it, the general "nook" os was still present right? but using the adw theme thing gives it app drawer and all that stuff but for the most part it still kinda looks stock to a certain degree, well thats what my current system looks like now (which ive only seen 4 times now) the splash screen after the n loading screen has a noon "n" like the stock splash screen, but with the word "color" flashing rainbow animation underneath, and a little droid logo with a book in its hands and "nook devs" underneath...

maybe knowing what i have on my system will help with uninstalling/removing it?

im at a loss as to what it is other than nook devs had something to do with it...

so basically im still a goose without wings. thanks jp for sticking with me and really keeping me on track, im glad im learning a lot and making the most of my misery.

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Well, I formatted the system, data and cache again. I had the wipe the cache partitions a second time because simply formatting failed. I now do not boot into anything and eventuallt boot into CMR. Since I thought I formatted everything, why am I booting into CMR? That's not part of the stock B&N, is it?

Edit: Just for kicks, I booted from the SD card and tried wipe data/factory reset. It freezes after saying data wipe complete. I also noticed it said "No apps2sd partitio found. Skipping format of /sd-ext." Then, "Formatting /sdcard/.android_secure..." I assume that is a folder on the eMMC, right and not the actual sd card?

I'm gonna try and reinstall CM7 and see what happens....

Oh, one more thing. When I started initially, I started with what has been reported as a stable nightly and also installed the OC kernal for the nightlies. Is it possible that kernal is my problem? If so, how do I restore the original or is that part of CM7?

Last edited:

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Ok, I installed only CM7 and I still get a FC for android.process.media and i have not yet installed the market. Trying to get into the CM setting also produces a FC on process com.android.settings.

Update.... it's working!!!! I went into manage applications and cleared the data from just about every app I could think of that might possibly be causing a problem. Not sure which one it was but no more force closes for android.process.media. Odd since this should have been a clean install but I guess the install included something the Nook did not like. I installed the market and was able to download solitaire as a test. Now, the only remaining issue is the force close on the CM settings. I would like to resolve that as I think I need to get in there to give me the option of paging back and forth. When I ran Honeycomb I had icons on the lower left and right to page. Maybe I need to install the OC mod after all?

Odd, I have my wireless router password protected. The first time I used the NK in stock form I had to enter the password and then it remembered it and logged in automatically. It still does. Seems to me that some data is stored some place else on the eMMC.

I also went into ROM Manager and I see there is an update availabe for CMR. I am on 3.0.2.8 and the new version is 3.2.0.0. Not sure if I want to bother at this point since I have mostly everything working....

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ok, I installed only CM7 and I still get a FC for android.process.media and i have not yet installed the market. Trying to get into the CM setting also produces a FC on process com.android.settings.

Update.... it's working!!!! I went into manage applications and cleared the data from just about every app I could think of that might possibly be causing a problem. Not sure which one it was but no more force closes for android.process.media. Odd since this should have been a clean install but I guess the install included something the Nook did not like. I installed the market and was able to download solitaire as a test. Now, the only remaining issue is the force close on the CM settings. I would like to resolve that as I think I need to get in there to give me the option of paging back and forth. When I ran Honeycomb I had icons on the lower left and right to page. Maybe I need to install the OC mod after all?

Odd, I have my wireless router password protected. The first time I used the NK in stock form I had to enter the password and then it remembered it and logged in automatically. It still does. Seems to me that some data is stored some place else on the eMMC.

I also went into ROM Manager and I see there is an update availabe for CMR. I am on 3.0.2.8 and the new version is 3.2.0.0. Not sure if I want to bother at this point since I have mostly everything working....

Good job, it sounds like you are very close. Just need to get a good clean install without the force colses. CM7 has the honeycomb like buttons in the lower left corner by default though you need access to the tablet tweaks in the settings to edit and choose which buttons appear. It sounds like you are getting foce closes when trying to acces that though. Over all though it sounds like it shouldn't be too much more to get totally working.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
so i followed both of those, within clockwork it looked like it had removed a second partition, it said successful and then the revert to original books/personal media partitions and that said it worked, i followed those steps, so i rebooted a few times and then it got stuck on the n screen every time, so i figured okay i got it now i just need to follow the instructions for what happens when you get stuck on the n screen, the next time i booted it brought up the os, (still the original owneres muckery of rooting/modding) but on the bright side, i decided it might help if we could figure out what build is on there now or what root or whatever, when i first got a nook in january, i rooted it, the general "nook" os was still present right? but using the adw theme thing gives it app drawer and all that stuff but for the most part it still kinda looks stock to a certain degree, well thats what my current system looks like now (which ive only seen 4 times now) the splash screen after the n loading screen has a noon "n" like the stock splash screen, but with the word "color" flashing rainbow animation underneath, and a little droid logo with a book in its hands and "nook devs" underneath...

maybe knowing what i have on my system will help with uninstalling/removing it?

im at a loss as to what it is other than nook devs had something to do with it...

so basically im still a goose without wings. thanks jp for sticking with me and really keeping me on track, im glad im learning a lot and making the most of my misery.

Jake, that sounds like a standard rooted nook boot screen! Progress finally. Now if that is actually the case some of the standard fixes should start to work.

So do you actually boot into the nook os now or are you getting stuck at the nook color and android? If you make it into the OS go to settings>Device Info>About your Nook Color and see what it says for Software version. My guess is 1.0.1 or 1.1.

Also under Device Info you can find Erase and Deregister. You might want to choose that while you have it working to clean out the rooted nook.

After that we can try taking you to CM7 and have it overwrite the rooted Nook OS that you now seem tobe booting into. I think you may be starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

JP :D

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
i get stuck at the 'n" screen 99 percent of the time, the few times ive gotten into the os, i have tried the deregister option, no cigar :( it gives me an error, (oh and all the guys apps are still there which im assuming none of my formatting or anything is working) and the version is in fact 1.0.1

maybe there is a combination of a certain version of cwr and a certain stock image? or something along that train of thought that i need to do?

should i try the new 3.2.0.0 cwr? i looked for it, but none of the images i found are the right size i guess because when i write it to the sd card, there are no files on the sd card like uboot and such..

im going to try to recreate the conditions that might let me get into the os so i can try the adb i was talking about.. but i just cant get my head around this to figure it out..
a

are there diff. partitions for everything? emmc is the internal storage basically right? is there also a boot partition? and a OS partition? if so maybe there is an image i could use cwr to flash over the boot partition? or is that what the "repartition boot with stock.zip" is for?

i feel like something somewhere is corrupted, because booting up the os successfully seems to be a random or unrelated event to any of the stuff ive done...

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
i dont know if the fact that i can make a bootable sdcard of honeycomb and stuff and use the tablet like normal... except for that problem of you know... it booting from internal... but what if i did that and then did the deregister or something? or maybe i could boot honeycomb from the sdcard and then download rom manager and clockwork and go in that way? or maybe.. i dunno. does any of that sound like it would work? im not thinking on a technical level im trying to think logical and problem solve lol. but is there any way that would be possible? i guess not because it would probably make all the changes and installation stuff to the sd instead of the nook because thats where the "system" is located?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
i dont know if the fact that i can make a bootable sdcard of honeycomb and stuff and use the tablet like normal... except for that problem of you know... it booting from internal... but what if i did that and then did the deregister or something? or maybe i could boot honeycomb from the sdcard and then download rom manager and clockwork and go in that way? or maybe.. i dunno. does any of that sound like it would work? im not thinking on a technical level im trying to think logical and problem solve lol. but is there any way that would be possible? i guess not because it would probably make all the changes and installation stuff to the sd instead of the nook because thats where the "system" is located?

Using a bootable SD ROM (like HC or CM7) won't work since the way those are desinged is to be self contained on the SD card and not touch internal memory. As long as you are using bootable CWR 3.0.1 or higher you should be good. 3.0.2.8 is probably your best bet if you can't get 3.2. The internal memory does have several partitions and it sounds like more had been created to make the dual boot setup it seems was on there. Now that you have repartitoned back to a standard layout (hopefully) we should be able to get you back.

Give me a minute to compile some links and instructions.

JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
1. Create a bootable CWR SD card using the newest CWR you can get to work if you don't have one (it sounds like you do already have one though).
2. Put this zip on the card repartition-boot-with-stock.zip
3. Put this zip on the card Stock 1.0.1
4. Power down insert Bootable CWR SD card, power up into CWR.
5. Wipe cache partition (continue if given errors)
6. Advanced>Wipe davlik chache (continue if errors given. If a freeze at this step hold the power button until nook powers down. Then power on right back into CWR and continue at next step).
7. Mounts and storage format system (if errors continue).
8. Mounts and storage format data (if errors continue).
9. Mounts and storage format boot (if errors contunie).
10. Apply update from sd card flash boot file zip.
11. Apply update from sd card flash Stock 1.0.1 zip
12. Unmount sd card, remove card and reboot.
13. You will probably get stuck at the n follow the 8 boot method here Flash back to clean stock ROM - nookDevs
14. Finally use the power + n button combo here NookColor UnRooting - nookDevs

This should knock everything out and get you back to clean stock.

JP

Last edited: