(HOW TO) Uninstall Clockwork Recovery and revert to a stock image

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
yeah i followed that whole setup, and then the 8 boots never work for me, the ways i have tried are as soon as it turns on i press the power button till it powers off, i have tried this unplugged, and i have tried it plugged in where it reboots by itself and i still power it back off and repeat. i recently watched a youtube video where the guy powers on and waits till the n screen to press the power button, so i tried that.. nothing.

is it possible that because i have a newer nook maybe the only way to do that restore is the power+n ? because in the videos and pictures ive seen of the 8 forced reboots, show the same thing im seeing when i hold power+n only saying that it has failed....

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It is a two part process the 8 boots wipes the partions that you are also trying to wipe with the CWR and the power + n does an erase and deregister.

I guess another thing to try is to put the latest CWR zip file on your bootable CWR SD card. Then boot into CWR and flash the CWR zip file. This will put CWR on the internal memory. Once flashed hold power to turn off and remove the SD card.

Now hold power and n together and count to 8 and release. This should boot you to CWR internal. Once booted into CWR internally you can insert your bootable CWR SD card and mount it so you have access the the zip files. Then proceed with the steps listed previously. In theory there should be no difference doing the process from bootable SD or internal memory but you never know.

JP

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
tried to flash cwm to internal. no luck, installation aborted.

Well that is a bummer. Maybe you already have a bad install of CWR on there. Put this on your bootable CWR SD and clear the cache partition and davlik cache then try to flash this zip file CWR-removal.zip

Also try to restore to a stock kernal by puting this on the bootable CWR SD and flashing it after you flash the CWR removal kernel-stock.zip stock 1.0.1

I assume you the last thing you tried to flash ROM wise was the stock ROM from the procedure I listed previously. Once you have done both of these try the 8 boots again.

JP

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
theoretically there is no way i could fail at the 8 reboot part because you only restart the counter if you see the boot animation, which i am assuming is the barnes and noble boot ani, or maybe the nook devs one, or i dunno what... but it still isnt working, even after i flashed the remove cwr and the stock kernel.

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
theoretically there is no way i could fail at the 8 reboot part because you only restart the counter if you see the boot animation, which i am assuming is the barnes and noble boot ani, or maybe the nook devs one, or i dunno what... but it still isnt working, even after i flashed the remove cwr and the stock kernel.

(I had to wait until as soon as Touch the Future of Reading dissapeared and then start holding down the power button on a brand new nook 1.1.0...

I thought I was doing the 8 reboot wrong but this was the case for me. Everytime it would go past the "Touch the Future of Reading", I'd just press again.

Read more: Flash back to clean stock ROM - nookDevs
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
i guess i should have tried that already, but i did see (the few times ive booted "successfully") that my nook is 1.0.1 so i assumed i shouldnt try that method, but then again, ive tried as soon as touch the future of reading shows, ive tried as soon as the n shows, why not this too?

on another note, i got adb and the sdk stuff working.. EXCEPT i cant get \adb devices command to show any devices, my nook is plugged in, powered on and stuck on the n screen.. im guessing its going to want a bootable device so that it can recognize it? :( not sure where to go, but i am excited about adb working, and since ive been here literally all day, i have to go to the gas station and buy a pack of smokes before i have a mental meltdown over this silly thing.

so any advice as to getting a unbooting nook color to show up and be restored through adb would be greatly appreciated!

and thanks shutter, ill give that other method a try see if itll do me any good!
(thinking out loud... is it possible i have 1.1 on my nook, but the guy who messed with it, flashed 1.0.1 image on it? and trying to restore to stock is conflicted because it really isnt 1.0.1 its actually 1.1? or anything along those lines????)

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
actually... if the nook is not plugged in, it wont turn on, but if it is plugged in, it boots up and gets stuck at the n screen.

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
actually... if the nook is not plugged in, it wont turn on, but if it is plugged in, it boots up and gets stuck at the n screen.

Alright, can we list the things you've tried once again? That's so we know what else to do. ;)

My case, I was stuck there but flashed the CWR-removal.zip via a CWM bootable SD card. Then I did the 8-reboot to get back up and running. Mind you, mine was a stock 1.2, rooted, at that time (I think... uhmmm, maybe not). I was playing with different roms, Phiremod, etc...

Last edited:

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
I am just thinking out loud here so Jake, please don't go ahead and try this yet....

It seems to me that the best course of action when the eMMC is this messed up would be to flash it the way you would if you were creating a functioning CM7 on an SD card. Basically completely wiping the eMMC and putting a new image down. Any thoughts on this from the experts here?

I am assuming there in an actual BIOS on the machine somewhere that would not be affected so that when an SD card is inserted it will still choose that first to boot from.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Just to recap my understanding. I think the links that ShutterPeep provided in pos #126 were already tried. I didn't see a difference between those links and the ones previously provided. They should work but don't seem to.

As far as any differences between B&N 1.0, 1.0.1 and 1.1 there is no difference between them when it comes to the 8 boot process and the power + n. The procedure is the same and will reset all of them equally.

You would think that jake could just flash CM7 or any other ROM wiping and overwriting what is in the internal memory but he has already tried this several times unsuccessfully as well. At the moment my understanding is that no matter what ROM or kernel jake tries to flash thourhg CWR he gets stuck at the n screen or a blank screen.

Jake, I am affraid that you are doing something wrong proceduraly. I know you have been trying to follow the steps but there is no reason all of the advice given so far won't erase, clear and orverwrite whatever may have been done to your nook before. We have cleared all caches, formatted your partitions, wiped and rewritten your boot and tried to flash multiple ROMs to your Nook. The only thing that hasn't been successful is an 8 boots reset followed by the power + n deregister and erase.

We can try from scratch again and I will try and provided even more straight forward instructions. Before doing anything read the instructions and let me know if you have questions regarding any part of them.

JP

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
J5150P, for what it is worth, I never could do the 8 boot either. The best I got was loading the internal CWR and that one never allowed me to do a complete wipe. Trying to wipe Davlik always got me frozen, and I assume was imcomplete. Using the newest CWR got me a clean slate. Is there a way to boot from a SD card and then physically do a complete format of the whole eMMC and then rebuild the partitions? I am still in "PC mode" as I run these ideas by. I do not at this point have a real good grasp of linux.