[How To] Unpack and Repack for Custom Firmwares for Rockchip RK28xx

FireStone

Apr 21, 2011
Hi All,

I've followed this guide to try and add arabic font support to my Odys Genesis (based on RK2818, I think), and gain root while I'm at it.
The guide is more than excellent, I've been having trouble figuring out how to get over the cramfs ro problem.

Anyway, after flashing the device with a modified /system and /boot images, it wouldn't finish booting and I'd get stuck on the first screen displaying the company's logo (Odys).
So I restored the tablet using an update.img they provide on their website, and the tablet worked properly again.

After a couple of more tries to burn a custom ROM, I seem to have bricked it :(
I think I used the RKAndroidBatchUpgrade tool incorrectly, I loaded a boot .bin file different from the one on the update.img (I don't know what I was trying to accomplish, in hindsight that seems like a terribly stupid thing to do). The update failed (gave a message saying so) and the tablet shut down and wouldn't start or even get recognized on the PC.

Any way I can unbrick this? I'd like to find a way to get the device recognized on the PC and flash the original ROM back on.
I guess an unrooted tablet is better than a brick :(

I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks.

Diabolito

Dec 5, 2011
Hi. cramfsck.exe says "superblock magic not found" when I try to uncompress system.img :\ what is the problem ?
I read somewhere that it could be ext3 image instead of cramfs, si I tried to mount it in DiskInternals Linux Reader (which permit mounting ext3 image in windows) but it can't open it.

Last edited: