How to Update US Version of M532 to Jellybean

yenkoz

Nov 11, 2013
If you are like me you bought a US version of the M532 and quickly realized Fujitsu doesn't offer an update to Jellybean for us. So what you must to is go here Technical Support pages from Fujitsu and download the UK version for this tablet. Then use a hex editor to modify the region code from 12 to 13 so it matches the US region code. Save it and transfer it to your SD card and follow the Fujitsu instructions on how to update your tablet. I did this with mine and it worked perfect, I would even say it runs better than it did with Ice Cream Sandwich. And as an added bonus you will get the extra business software that was loaded on the over seas tablets.

fuzzyk1tt3n

Nov 19, 2013
Would you mind giving a little more detail about how you updated your M532? I just bought one because there was a good sale on it and thought I'd be able to update it to Jellybean, but quickly found that the US version doesn't have an available update.

Thanks!

fuzzyk1tt3n

Nov 19, 2013
I managed to figure out how to get this done with a little bit of google and the outline of upgrading provided by yenkoz. For anyone else that happens to buy a M532 in the US and wants to upgrade it to Jellybean, it is pretty simple.

-Download Jellybean from the link above
-Download a hex editor, I used Hex Editor Neo (14 day free trial) because there was a helpful post that used it, [Q] Editing firmware update file version info - xda-developers
-Using the above link as a guide, select the first 13 values, do an XOR operation, change the 12 to 13 (by changing to 2 to a 3), and then do an XOR operation again. Please note that the guide is changing different values than we are but the process is the same. Save the file, then copy to your sdcard
-Update from sdcard as normal

It was a painless process, took all of 5 minutes.

Dec 25, 2013
Anyone have a pre-built package available for download, or very specific instructions involving one of the current Fujitsu downloads? I really don't want to brick this tablet! It is a U.S. Fujitsu Stylistic M532, build 5.N11800.0513USA-enFR.130430.0.

saltomer

Dec 30, 2013
I managed to figure out how to get this done with a little bit of google and the outline of upgrading provided by yenkoz. For anyone else that happens to buy a M532 in the US and wants to upgrade it to Jellybean, it is pretty simple.

-Download Jellybean from the link above
-Download a hex editor, I used Hex Editor Neo (14 day free trial) because there was a helpful post that used it, [Q] Editing firmware update file version info - xda-developers
-Using the above link as a guide, select the first 13 values, do an XOR operation, change the 12 to 13 (by changing to 2 to a 3), and then do an XOR operation again. Please note that the guide is changing different values than we are but the process is the same. Save the file, then copy to your sdcard
-Update from sdcard as normal

It was a painless process, took all of 5 minutes.

Ok...so I am novice at this. I took the file, open it in the hex editor, select the first 13 values, did a XOR operation, set the pattern as show in example and clicked ok, saw that the first value field was highlighted and the number was a 42. i am assuming that this number represents the region code. I changed the number in the first value space to a 43, and then I did an XOR operation again. I saved it. Is that correct? The example you give in the editing firmware thing above does not specify whether I am inputting that file pattern on the first XOR operation or whether it should come up that way. It also does not mention whether the value that is highlighted after the first XOR is the value that represents the region code. Please clarify or put up an example similar to the one you directed us to for the other operation.

thanks

SpDrJay

Mar 13, 2014
I have been messing around with that UK Chagall pkg and Neo Hex for a whole day and I can't seem to figure out how to edit it or do the XOR operation. Stuck.If some nice patient person would post a more detailed and basic instructions help, I would greatly appreciate it!

SpDrJay

Mar 13, 2014
Addendum to last post,I found the info I needed on page 35 of the thread about rooting the M532. I now have Jellybean installed and working perfectly with the edited Chagall from the UK! Cheers!

msellers

Jul 23, 2014
I did this upgrade - worked fine for 2 weeks -- now it will not boot past the android screen - tried to re install the UK JB firmware -- get an abort error .. can I change the package ID with HEX editor and get it to reinstall this update ?
Thx!