[HOW TO] Using Handbrake To Convert Video For The Nook Color

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
OK, I tried out The Incredibles using the Classic profile preset and also using the the settings described on the first page of this thread. The chase scene near the end of the movie has LOTS of action, color, and movement. The results: there WAS a very noticeable improvement using the H.264 codec and other settings. The H.264 codec render took considerably longer (about 2.5 times). The files sizes were about the same. So the only advantage of the Classic setting is speed of render. This is probably a moot point since Handbrake has the great "add to queue" setting which allows for setting up a group of files to encode overnight or some other, more convenient time.
Great, thanks for checking! I'm still a little woozy over your MPEG-4 conversion times. :) It's probably a good option for 30-minute TV shows.

-Matt

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010
Thanks for the work. I've had great results by simply selecting the "Classic" profile preset. The speed of conversion is incredible -- it takes my computer (I-720) about 2 minutes per half hour of footage, so a 2 hour movie is converted in 8 minutes. The codec is Mpeg4(FFmpeg), NOT H.264. I know that H.264 is a more advanced codec, but it takes so much longer, and I'm really happy with the results using the Classic preset.

I'm curious if others would be willing to try the Classic preset and compare it with regard to speed and quality when played back on a Nookcolor.

I tried the Classic preset - took about 1 minute of encoding per 1 minute of playback on my Dual Core E2180(from a 720p source). So a 2 hour movie would take 2 hours to encode on my PC. The mp4 format just doesn't look as nice as h264 - lots of artifacts and gradations of color, especially in dark scenes.

Encoding with h264 takes considerably longer, about 6 hours for a 2 hour movie, but it looks alot better.

Yeah, I'd upgrade my CPU, but I spent all my money on my Nook, and I'm glad I did :)

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
You're welcome!!! And welcome to the forum too! Hope you find it fun and useful.

Irvine?!?!??!!! My in-laws live in Irvine... :mad: Er, um...I mean... :D I'm just jealous that they can fall out of bed and land in a Trader Joe's!

-Matt

spica

Jan 10, 2011
Thanks. I love this site! And yes, I do live where there are three Trade Joes within a 5-mile radius. I know, I know ... you hate me now :)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Thanks. I love this site! And yes, I do live where there are three Trade Joes within a 5-mile radius. I know, I know ... you hate me now :)
Nono, I'm not a hater. But you might find your house/condo covered in toilet paper someday... ;)

On the other hand, you could ship me a few items from Trader Joes (the nearest one to me is 2 hours...St. Louis), and we could call it even.

-Matt

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
So, a little experiment with handbrake. The source was a standard xvid file (512x288 resolution). used classic settings. First encoded as mpeg4, then h.264 (all other settings the same).
mpeg4 was 3x faster than H.264 (46 fps vs 16 fps)

Conclusion - use MPEG when the source is low-med resolution divx/xvid, because you won't notice the difference (at least I didn't), or when you're in a rush. If converting an HD (dvd or better) video, use H.264, because it just looks better and plays smoother (with panning etc). And you're not in a rush.

spica

Jan 10, 2011
Nono, I'm not a hater. But you might find your house/condo covered in toilet paper someday... ;)

On the other hand, you could ship me a few items from Trader Joes (the nearest one to me is 2 hours...St. Louis), and we could call it even.

-Matt

Deal! Send me a shopping list.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Thanks a ton!
I'm glad this thread is doing some good. If I get a chance this weekend, I want to update the OPs with some additional details, including using MPEG-4 vs. h.264. It would also be cool if I can post a short clip, transcoded with different settings so users can compare.

-Matt

shebuilt

Jan 20, 2011
A newbie who appreciates and will probably be on your last nerve until I get these rooted nook down pat! LOL.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
A newbie who appreciates and will probably be on your last nerve until I get these rooted nook down pat! LOL.
Test my patience, I dare you. ;)

San Francisco?!?!??!?!? NOOOOOOOOOOOO....I'm so jealous!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
What is the best way to get the files from a DVD onto the computer?
Seems like there's two answers to that question:

(1) Some prefer an all-in-one solution, which "rips" the video off the DVD and then does the conversion to h.264 (one of the formats the Nook plays). Go ahead and scan through this thread to see a few examples. I think most of these run $10-$30.

(2) There are also several programs that rip the video for free. My personal favorite is DVDShrink (Download DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15 Free - With this application you can backup DVD disks - Softpedia) which is very easy to use. A 2-hour movie should take about 10 minutes to transfer to your computer (I suppose this is the place where I'm supposed to remind you that it's illegal to copy rented movies...). Note that it creates a set of folders with your movie. Inside the Video_TS folder you'll find a file named something like VTS_01_1.vob which is your ripped movie. Just feed that into Handbrake and you're all set! Depending on the speed of your computer, and the settings you use, you should have a fully converted movie in 2-4 hours.

If you decide to use DVDShrink let me know and I'll share a few tips. :)

-Matt

Last edited: