How: Updating to "New" Android Market on NC with Android 2.1

OldDogEyes

Mar 4, 2011
Howdy,

A few months back the Android Market underwent a redesign and I received the new layout on my unrooted HTC Evo a few days later.

On my NC, I seem to have an older version of the Android Market. I was looking into how to update the market, but info I've found seems to indicate that I cannot update the market until I am running Android 2.2 (I'm currently on 2.1).

Here's the instructions I found: Click Here

In the comments section user "Eugene O'Rourke" says this: "Unfortunately it won’t help – this market update requires Android 2.2 or higher."

Is he correct? And I stuck with the current Android Market layout until I upgrade to Froyo or above?

One other question... How do I tell what version of Android Market I have currently? I went into the vending.apk file but couldn't find a version number.

Thanks...
Doug

OldDogEyes

Mar 4, 2011
Update: Kept browsing around and found a follow-up article to the one linked in the original post that claims that I *can* install the new Android Market on a 2.1 device. How to: Click Here

Has anyone had any experience with this approach or any others?

Thanks,
Doug

Pa1adin

Mar 16, 2011
Wow that was easy. :)
In case anyone has any problems.

I wanted the new market myself so I went to that link, got the new market apk file and copied into system/app using root explorer.
Make sure you set the directory to be writeable so you can paste/renname and change permissions.

I renamed the original file with a. old at the end and named the new file to just vendor.apk

Change the permissions of the new file to the same as the old and reboot!

Works great and I can now do an UPDATE ALL which I missed.