How well does expandable memory in tablets work

jarodp3390

Jan 16, 2012
I am looking to get a tablet, but I cannot decide if a 16g tablet with an expandable microsd card slot would work well for me. I was wondering how well it works putting in a microsd card into the tablet to expand the memory. Does it work well as permanent memory that would make it worth the money saved from getting the 16g over a tablet with 32g or 62gs. I am currently looking at the new asus 300 series that was just annouced, but its only going to come in 16g models.

Thanks for the help

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Really well if you follow some basic logic. I will use my ASUS TF101/32 as an example. With my Docking station attached, I have supposedly 96Gb of storage available to me. (Keyboard Dock-32Gb Class10 SD, MicroSD slot-32Gb Class 10 and the internal store. Just remember to:
1. Name the folders to be the same on all storage points. Music = Music, NOT music or songs, msc or similar
2. Try and do not go too many levels down on a folder name. OK Root\Music\The Beatles--> Yellow Sub+Magical Mystery Tour+Sgt Peppers+Let It Be. NOT OK Root\music\The Beatles -->1966+1967+1968+1970 ==1966->Yellow Submarine +1967->Sgt Peppers+Magical Mystery Tour +1970-->Let it Be
3. Avoid storing on the root folder of the SD card all content, example: All the music, vids, books and in the root. Organize them a bit. Use Folders to your advantage
4. Buy Class 6 or higher Media: Slower Class 4 will make video lag.
5. Bigger Capacity is not always cheap, There are many counterfeit 32 Class 4 SDHC cards being sold as Class 10
They look alike, but not identified, until you do speed tests or horrid performance

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
One thing, I use class 4, SanDisk, and have NEVER had a problem with video lag. I only point this out because you can pick up class 4 so cheap. Now I admit I only use SanDisk, partly because I trust it and partly because you can get 16 gig cards for under $20. You can occasionally find class 6 for near that price and if you have the chance I would definitely go for it, but class 4 has served me well.