[HowTo] A2109 Fastboot

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
I have been pointed to adb-fastboot-install - A script to install ADB & Fastboot on Mac OS X and/or Linux - Google Project Hosting in the lenovo forum and I am not sure how to go on.

Earlier I read in this thread:
fastboot -i 0x17ef boot boot.img

But what is "boog.img"?

I flashed a2109a_a411_03_13_121126_ww.zip earlier, which drains my battery.

dmesg | grep -i lenovo

dmesg | grep -i 17ef

lsusb | grep -i lenovo
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 17ef:7542 Lenovo

What is the next step? Thanks!

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
I have been pointed to adb-fastboot-install - A script to install ADB & Fastboot on Mac OS X and/or Linux - Google Project Hosting in the lenovo forum and I am not sure how to go on.

Earlier I read in this thread:

But what is "boog.img"?

I flashed a2109a_a411_03_13_121126_ww.zip earlier, which drains my battery.

What is the next step? Thanks!

Boot.img is in the root of the ROM zip. Just open the zip of the ROM you flashed & you'll find it.

If you don't like JB 4.1.1, you can roll back to 4.0.4. Just flash it over. I think it'll wipe your internal storage (sdcard), so make sure to back up what you need.

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
Boot.img is in the root of the ROM zip. Just open the zip of the ROM you flashed & you'll find it.

If you don't like JB 4.1.1, you can roll back to 4.0.4. Just flash it over. I think it'll wipe your internal storage (sdcard), so make sure to back up what you need.

Thanks, now it says:

< waiting for device >

Do I have to be root on my Ubuntu box?

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
Thanks, now it says:

< waiting for device >

Do I have to be root on my Ubuntu box?

It sounds like you are not in fastboot mode. When your tablet loads as fastboot, do you get one line of text or two?

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
All in all I am very unsure what I have to do to root the A2109A.

I have no idea what fastboot does, but I was told, that I have to install it first.

Ah. Ok, back to fastboot mode -- do you get two lines of text on your tablet? Type 'fastboot devices'.

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
So please confirm, that I need fastboot for root.

Please tell me exactly what to do:

Do I have to be root on my linux box?

When do I connect the tablet with the pc.

What about debugging mode?

'fastboot devices' in a user shell on the pc says nothing, when the usb-cable is connected und debugging is on.

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
So please confirm, that I need fastboot for root.

Please tell me exactly what to do:

Do I have to be root on my linux box?

When do I connect the tablet with the pc.

What about debugging mode?

'fastboot devices' in a user shell on the pc says nothing, when the usb-cable is connected und debugging is on.

You need to unlock the bootloader with fastboot. You need to flash Clockworkmod (cwm) to install the root software. You need to install superuser.zip to root. Here are full instructions: A2109 - Clockworkmod Recovery and Root - Lenovo Community. I was just trying to walk you through, one step at a time. One thing: the cwm listed is out of date. For 4.0.4 use this one: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxNORR1JMMjZZ2dob3Z5c2h2ZHM. For 4.1.1 use this one: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxNORR1JMMjZaGdfSXYzM3otcEk.

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
So what could be the reason for "waiting for device" with "fastboot -i 0x17ef boot boot.img"?

"fastboot devices" has no result.

# cat 51-android.rules
# adb protocol on passion (Nexus One)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e12", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
# fastboot protocol on passion (Nexus One)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", ATTR{idProduct}=="0fff", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
# adb protocol on crespo/crespo4g (Nexus S)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e22", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
# fastboot protocol on crespo/crespo4g (Nexus S)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e20", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
# adb protocol on stingray/wingray (Xoom)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="22b8", ATTR{idProduct}=="70a9", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
# fastboot protocol on stingray/wingray (Xoom)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="708c", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
# adb protocol on maguro/toro (Galaxy Nexus)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="04e8", ATTR{idProduct}=="6860", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
# fastboot protocol on maguro/toro (Galaxy Nexus)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e30", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
# adb protocol on panda (PandaBoard)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="d101", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
# fastboot protocol on panda (PandaBoard)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="d022", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
# usbboot protocol on panda (PandaBoard)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="d010", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
#HTC
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
#LENOV0 Ideapad A2109A
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="7542", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
I do it as "real" root, I do not need sudo. My ubuntu-system has an "activated" root user.

# adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
FD60****** device

anika200

Dec 2, 2012
You do not need to be root or use sudo on your linux box to perform any fastboot or adb commands. I think you did not have usb debugging turned on the device as discussed over at lenovo forums. If for some reason you would need rood access on the linux side then you have set something up wrong. The most common problem is installing adb/fastboot as root or not having "usb" devices set up correctly on your linux box.

a2109a

Dec 20, 2012
< waiting for device > drives me crazy, I worked already once. USB-debugging is activated on the tablet.

$ adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
FD60****** device

fastboot devices has no result.

$ fastboot -i 0x17ef boot boot.img
< waiting for device >

$ fastboot flash recovery A2109_CWMrecovery-6.0.1.9c.img
< waiting for device >

My question is, do I have to execute "fastboot -i 0x17ef boot boot.img" everytime immediately before I do "fastboot flash recovery A2109_CWMrecovery-6.0.1.9c.img" or is it enough to do "fastboot -i 0x17ef boot boot.img" once?

I have no idea, what I did the last time, when it worked.