[HowTo] A2109 Fastboot

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
Ok, so I got fastboot working in the past on ics, i unlocked, rooted, and flashed a jb rom. now fastboot doesnt work, and ive read that you need to reinstall it. i tried fastboot devices and uninstalling and reinstalling letools. then i tried anika's guide and my a2109 doesnt show up under any of the devices in device manager. help? I just want to put on the jelly bean recovery instead of the ics one. is there a way to do this without fastboot? thanks whichever way!

EDIT: I got it to show as Android ADB interface. wtf? idk what to do here

So if you have the jb recovery, there's no need to reflash it again, unless you did not make the change on the file in system, the easiest way to get to fast boot is push the volume down button and the power button down at the same time, you should see the fastboot menu, then plug your tablet in with device manager you should see a2109 with a yellow triangle at that point just follow the instructions from the first page

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk HD

Jan 5, 2013
Your drivers don't seem to be installed correctly.

1. Are you using Windows or Linux? Which version?
  2. Do you have USB debugging enabled in Settings->Developer options?
  3. When you boot your tablet, plug it in, and type 'adb devices', what do you see?

1. Windows 7 home premium, 64 bit
2. Yes, usb debugging is on
3. Adb works, shows serial # with adb just fine. Fastboot used to work on ics as well, but no longer

Jan 5, 2013
So if you have the jb recovery, there's no need to reflash it again, unless you did not make the change on the file in system, the easiest way to get to fast boot is push the volume down button and the power button down at the same time, you should see the fastboot menu, then plug your tablet in with device manager you should see a2109 with a yellow triangle at that point just follow the instructions from the first page

Thats the thing, I have ICS recovery, not jb. I can get into fastboot mode just fine, I've done it before. I am running a jb ROM (yours) on ICS recovery (I flashed from stock rooted ICS) and now fast boot will not work in cmd. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling letools, when in fast boot under device manager it shows as android adb interface WHEN IN FASTBOOT. Tried updating that driver to the letools ones, win 7 said they were incompatible. I know I'm confused too :p

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
Thats the thing, I have ICS recovery, not jb. I can get into fastboot mode just fine, I've done it before. I am running a jb ROM (yours) on ICS recovery (I flashed from stock rooted ICS) and now fast boot will not work in cmd. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling letools, when in fast boot under device manager it shows as android adb interface WHEN IN FASTBOOT. Tried updating that driver to the letools ones, win 7 said they were incompatible. I know I'm confused too :p

Try uninstalling the adb driver while in device manager, then replug your tablet in while in the fast boot menu. so let me understand you clashed a job ROM with ICS recovery installed?

Jan 5, 2013
Try uninstalling the adb driver while in device manager, then replug your tablet in while in the fast boot menu. so let me understand you clashed a job ROM with ICS recovery installed?

Yes that is correct. Was I supposed to ota update first to avoid that? Switching over to jb idk how I could avoid clashing incompatible recoveries....... you cont flash recovery and ROM at the same time, so what was I really supposed to do? Tablet works fine like this btw. Anyways, will try this and the below

Jan 5, 2013

Well when i did that, i plugged it in and other devices>fastboot showed up. but heres the catch. it also reinstalled android adb interface when i plugged it in again, and other devices>fastboot disappeared, there was a decent amount of time in between (20 seconds?) can i do this that quick? when uninstalling android adb interface, i didnt click the checkbox to delete the drivers for it, should i do that? will adb work after that?

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
Well when i did that, i plugged it in and other devices>fastboot showed up. but heres the catch. it also reinstalled android adb interface when i plugged it in again, and other devices>fastboot disappeared, there was a decent amount of time in between (20 seconds?) can i do this that quick? when uninstalling android adb interface, i didnt click the checkbox to delete the drivers for it, should i do that? will adb work after that?

Well if you want to use fast boot, you need the drivers. I would uninstall the adb drivers, what I do is put my tablet in fast boot to install the driver, I put into recovery for the adb drivers

Jan 5, 2013
Well if you want to use fast boot, you need the drivers. I would uninstall the adb drivers, what I do is put my tablet in fast boot to install the driver, I put into recovery for the adb drivers

Checked the box to delete the drivers, it stayed on other devices-fastboot, i got it working and now have jb recovery. thanks, youre the best!!!

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
Checked the box to delete the drivers, it stayed on other devices-fastboot, i got it working and now have jb recovery. thanks, youre the best!!!

Great, I have issues also with the drivers, I found this is the easiest way to install the desired drivers.:D:D:cool::cool:

Dec 28, 2012
I'm using a Mac and I can follow most of the Linux commands in Terminal. However, when pushing the Vol Down button & Power, I'm greeted with the USB symbol in the center and the following for a menu:
  • Press to select Volume Up to select Volume Down for selection move
  • Continue
  • Reboot-bootloader
  • Reboot
  • Poweroff
When I open terminal, and type in "adb devices", nothing shows up. However, when I press Vol Up + Power, I do get a blue menu similar to CWM but without all the options. When I press, add application via abd, Terminal DOES see it. I'm TERRIBLY lost and haven't any idea how to move forward. I'm on day four of trying to get bloody root on this thing. Even installed Win7 in VMWare Fusion only to get errors with the repository. Can someone please tell me how to fix this or simply give me a link where I can go to do it? Thanks for anything and everything you can do.
I am a little confused if you are working with linux or windows at this point, which OS are you working with?Anyway,You actually have to put the device into "fastboot" mode before issuing the fastboot commands from the terminal/command prompt. It looks like you are skipping a step.So you need to:1) Have the recovery in the same folder as adb and fastboot application.2) Turn on the a2109 and plug it into the usb port on the back of the pc3) Put the a2109 into fastboot mode by issuing
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
4) Wait for the a2109 to reboot into fastboot mode, there will be some tiny text in top left of a2109 screen5) Issue the fastboot commands you want from the pc terminal/command promptFor example
Code:
fastboot -i 0x17ef flash recovery A2109_CWMrecovery-6.0.1.9c.img
6) Wait for it to be done.7) As soon as possible do a nandroid backup

Last edited:

FloRider

Dec 2, 2012
Ok, that first menu you mention is the bootloader menu. It's actually your first stop. That's where you unlock the bootloader: fastboot oem unlock. Then, you'll want to flash ClockworkMod (cwm). You'll have to copy the ROM and SuperUser files over to the tablet too. The easiest way is to just boot the tablet. Oh, and while you're there, make sure USB debugging is enabled in Settings->Developer options. You won't get far without that. In fact, fastboot may not work without it (type 'fastboot devices' in bootloader mode to see if you are connected).

Sorry my message is a bit disordered. Boot your tablet, check USB debugging, copy those two files over, then boot into the bootloader menu to unlock the bootloader and flash cwm. Let me know how that goes.

Last edited:

anika200

Dec 2, 2012
I'm using a Mac and I can follow most of the Linux commands in Terminal. However, when pushing the Vol Down button & Power, I'm greeted with the USB symbol in the center and the following for a menu:
  • Press to select Volume Up to select Volume Down for selection move
  • Continue
  • Reboot-bootloader
  • Reboot
  • Poweroff
When I open terminal, and type in "adb devices", nothing shows up. However, when I press Vol Up + Power, I do get a blue menu similar to CWM but without all the options. When I press, add application via abd, Terminal DOES see it. I'm TERRIBLY lost and haven't any idea how to move forward. I'm on day four of trying to get bloody root on this thing. Even installed Win7 in VMWare Fusion only to get errors with the repository. Can someone please tell me how to fix this or simply give me a link where I can go to do it? Thanks for anything and everything you can do.

Is anyone else having a problem getting into fastboot on linux and JB? Its ok to say so, really. I have also been stymied by the JB bootloader and fastboot. Does anyone have step by step instructions for generic linux? This would be the factory 4.1.1 JB install.