[HowTo] Based 1.2 Custom Rom 'Brilliant Corners' - Basic Info & Installation !

thomaslarsen1

Jul 17, 2011
Dave, yep, there is a command file. If I open it in notepad, it contains:
--update_package=SDCARD:/update.zip

It's only 1kb in size.

Thanks for your help, I'm in this for the long haul!

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Thomas, everything that you explained should work in a normal situation. I've read a lot, but I have not seen anything like this. Therefore, I am most concerned about your tablet.

I've seen quite a few bad bricking from people bought new gtablets that came with 1.2.4349 while trying to install custom rom's, or nvflash, or switch to a different bootloader. I would, if I were you, stay with with the current stock for now, while contemplate the following options:

1> Search all the threads that was posted by user rajeevvp at XDA. He seemed to know quite a lot about the internal sd card. You could pm him for help.
2> PM this forum's mods and admin. They may have suggestions to try.
3> Return and exchange for another tablet if you can. I don't know if the tablet is good, or bad. But the said behavior is not normal and may present more serious problem in a long run.

In summary, make sure to understand more before taking action, except for return and exchange. The gtablet is forgiving, but not fool proof.

Dave,

Edit 7/18/2011, on a second thought, I was thinking that you may want to delete both the update.zip and the recovery folder. Then disconnect from the PC and boot into recovery, wipe data and cache, then repeat <D> instruction again. This may be farfetched. Think this thru carefully.

Dave

Last edited:

thomaslarsen1

Jul 17, 2011
Ok, I tried it. I deleted the Recovery and Update.zip files. For whatever reason, I can't get it to boot into recovery mode, where I can wipe data, calibrate the touchscreen, etc.
When I reboot the machine, I just get that same little message in the upper left saying 'Recovery key detected' and right below that, 'Booting recovery kernel image.
At this point, maybe I need to figure out how to do a full hard reset to get back to stock, so I can at least undo what I did...

It still is able to boot into the regular stock user interface, but it worries me that I can't do the power/Vol+ thing to get into recovery mode.

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Thomas, so you are going to keep the tablet and try to get it to work ? Do a search in this forum, XDA and Slatedroid for something like 'cannot boot into recovery' or 'can't boot into recovery' etc . . . You may find the right solution.

Chances are good that the 'standard recovery' may be bad. Google '1.2 recovery gtablet 4349' and read thru different options for your most comfortable method. If you like, you could post a 'possible solution' here before implementing.

Perhaps you would consider installing an 1.2 bl friendly CWM [Recovery BL 1.2] CWM 3.0.2.8 rev5 for BL 1.2 - xda-developers ?

Keep us posted.

Dave,

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
If I want to upgrade from 1.2 to 1.3 BC, do I just do the copy update.zip and recover folder thing again?

I think so, according to the OP at Slatedroid:

Installation for 1.2-based stock/mod users (ie. TNT Lite 5 / TwoTapsX / 4349 stock / Century Eyes / Mountain Laurel)
- Extract the RAR to the root of your internal memory. So, you'd have a recovery folder and an update.zip on the root of the mounted drive.
- Reboot into recovery. The Brilliant Corners update should occur automatically (click on the Home button to see the build details while it's running) . Once completed, it should reboot automatically.
- The device should take some time to initialize (two to three minutes, so be patient), then will boot into the GUI. If it gets stuck (and it likely will if you came from a different ROM), reboot into recovery one more time and wipe data / factory reset and reboot.

I am not using this rom at the moment so I can't verify. But all Roebeet's releases are solid.

Dave,

golfblogger

May 24, 2011
Thanks. That 's what I thought, but what's happening for me is that I get

Recovery Key Detected
Booting recovery kernel image

And then it doesn't do anything else. Not at all what happened when I updated from stock to BC 1.2

Anyone have thoughts?

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Hmmm, that is strange.

Check to make sure that you have a 'recovery' folder and an 'update.zip' file at the root of the sd card.
Within the recovery folder, there should be a 'command' file without a file extension.
The command file, if you use notepad to open, should contain '--update_package=SDCARD:/update.zip'

If you have the above, then it should work. Double check to be sure.

Another alternative method is to use CWM. Here is the link for a comparable version with 1.2 bl.
[Recovery BL 1.2] CWM 3.0.2.8 rev5 for BL 1.2 - xda-developers

Dave,

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
I flashed up to 1.3 using clockworkmod with no difficulties. Try going that route as Dave suggested. Copying the recovery folder and update.zip may be for the 1.1 bootloader.

Or you could remove the recovery folder but leave the update.zip in the root directory. Then when you boot into recovery, you should get either clockwork or the stock 1.2 recovery tool. Either of those will have the "install update.zip from sdcard" option. Select that and it should install BC 1.3 for you.

Mark

Sent from my Brilliant Corners using Android Tablet Forum

golfblogger

May 24, 2011
I tried removing the recovery folder. No dice.

Installed ROM Manager from the market. Even with this installed, the device doesn't boot into clockwork mod. It just starts over. Holding power/volume up just hangs.

I'm sure I'm making a major newbie mistake or two here.

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
Well my next piece of advice is to read over this thread at slatedroid:

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/171...-using-either-11-or-12-based-images-g-tablet/

NVflash is a great tool to use for resetting back to factory. You could go back to stock 1.2 and use the recovery folder and update.zip method you are familiar with from there.

Just had another thought, you should be able to use terminal emulater o load clockworkmod from inside BC 1.2. Type su to give the terminal superuser powers then type cwmrecovery.sh

When you restart with power & volume up, you should go into clockworkmod and be able to flash the update.

Hope this helps,

Mark

golfblogger

May 24, 2011
Thanks for all the advice. I've NV Flashed it, and reinstalled the original tapntap. Now I'm working on installing clockwork mod. I'm a newbie, but so far so good

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
Keep working on it and let us know if you hit a snag

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Alright, you got me. Flashed a few hours ago and love it. Came up from 5274 unofficial release.

sent from my Brilliant Corners Gtablet using Tapatalk