[HowTo] Going from 4349 Firmware to Mountain Laurel ROM (some basic steps)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I saw a few new owners here who wondered how to install a ROM compatible with the latest (as of 5/19/11) Viewsonic firmware build, #4349. Thought I'd post a very basic how-to AT THE NEWBIE LEVEL for those who want to try.

DISCLAIMER: pretty much everywhere you see ROMs offered, there is a reminder that each user is responsible for whatever happens to their device. So please don't try and modify it until you've studied the process--maybe watched a few youtube videos--and you're certain that you understand each step!

Step 1: Confirm that you are running the stock 4349 ROM

Check in Settings -> About tablet. Some owners appear to be getting it on recently-shipped units, while others have gotten it in an over-the-air (OTA) update. At the moment it looks like VS has paused in sending it out OTA. If you don't have the 4349 build on your gTAB, do not continue.

Step 2: Download roebeet's Mountain Laurel (ML) ROM, which is modified off the stock 4349 build:

Direct Link: gtab.Mountain.Laurel.1.0.0.rar
Full thread at slatedroid.com: [ROM] Mountain Laurel alternative 1.2-based firmware - [G-TABLET\ZPAD T2] - SlateDroid.com

I suggest going to the full thread and downloading there (towards the end of the first post in the thread) to ensure that you're getting the latest version.

Step 3: Extract ML and copy to the gTab

The download comes as a compressed "rar" file. My favorite utility for dealing with compressed files is 7-zip (Download). With 7-zip, I notice I can't double-click on rar files. No problem...just open 7-zip, navigate to the file, and open it from there. You'll see two things: "update.zip" and "recovery".

Connect your gTab to your PC, and assuming you can view the file system on the gTab, drag update.zip and recovery to the root-folder (highest level) on the gTab. If these already exist on your gTab, overwrite with the new ones. Disconnect the gTab, and shut it down.

Step 4: Install ML

Reboot the gTab into recovery, by holding down the VOLUME-UP and POWER buttons at the same time. The recovery program will detect the new update.zip and install it automatically. (NOTE: I'm not entirely sure if the recovery on the stock 4349 ROM presents options or not...report back if you get to this point and have a question, but presumably you should choose the "Apply internal update.zip" option or similar, if you see it.) It should reboot when done...some users are reporting fairly long (on the order of several minutes) reboot time. Check settings again to confirm that you're now running the Mountain Laurel ROM. :D

(OPTIONAL) Step 5: Revert back to stock 4349

Rolling back to stock 4349 is a piece of cake. Just repeat the steps above, with the stock 4349 firmware:

Direct Link: http://tapntap.http.internapcdn.net/tapntap/viewsonic/update-smb_a1002-4349-user.zip
Full thread at slatedroid.com: GTab recovery firmware (official Viewsonic 1.2-based versions) - SlateDroid.com

In this case, you're downloading the zip-file, so rename it to update.zip when it arrives, and move it to the gTab root folder like you did above. Leave the recovery folder (from before) as is. Disconnect from PC, shut down, then recovery reboot (VOLUME-UP and POWER) as usual, and proceed! When done you will be back to stock 4349.

If you run into trouble...I should note that I am currently running an earlier ROM, TnTLite 4.4.0. I won't be upgrading to ML for a little while, as TnT is working fine for me. But for those who want the latest, go for it! However, I won't be able to provide any/much trouble-shooting help, so I'd suggest tuning into the ML thread at slatedroid above if you have questions or concerns.

-Matt

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
**** RESERVED ****

Just in case questions come up that I didn't address in my first post, I'll reserve this space. Here are some potential ones:

I see the Market app, but it doesn't work (or I can't download apps). How can I fix it?

What is nvflash, and do I need it?

Can I do the install with ClockwordMod recovery?

I am currently using ROM XYZ, can I drop the ML update.zip in and directly update from there, or can I only do it from stock 4349?

-Matt

roebeet

Oct 25, 2010
The big three issues so far are sleep mode, high-def video playback and reduced battery life. I believe these are all stock issues, so it's one step forward two steps back. :(

I'll be watching for their new update, and hoping that they are working on some of these issues. Battery life could be that cell standby issue, if they fudged something up. Sleep seems to be in the framework, not the kernel.

Last edited:

Cunny

Jun 22, 2011
Hello I am fairly new to this and I appreciate your easy to follow guidelines!! Many websites expect us to know what to do and expect us to be Guru's.

But here is my dilemma, when I get to the step to reboot holding the power key and volume + it says recovery key detected and booting recovery kernal image and that's it It just stops there. I have let it sit for several minutes (10+) and still nothing I tried it twice and still nothing. what would you recommend? should I wipe it clean (restore to factory) and then retry? thanks!

Cunny

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Hello I am fairly new to this and I appreciate your easy to follow guidelines!! Many websites expect us to know what to do and expect us to be Guru's.

But here is my dilemma, when I get to the step to reboot holding the power key and volume + it says recovery key detected and booting recovery kernal image and that's it It just stops there. I have let it sit for several minutes (10+) and still nothing I tried it twice and still nothing. what would you recommend? should I wipe it clean (restore to factory) and then retry? thanks!

Cunny

What branch are you on? Check your about on your device. If your TapUI starts with 1.1 then you can follow http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...rkmod-custom-rom-flash-player-market-fix.html , if it is 1.2 then we do not have the instructions on here yet. I'm working on it this weekend.

Cunny

Jun 22, 2011
What branch are you on? Check your about on your device. If your TapUI starts with 1.1 then you can follow http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...rkmod-custom-rom-flash-player-market-fix.html , if it is 1.2 then we do not have the instructions on here yet. I'm working on it this weekend.

I was on a 1.2 the 4349 version

So last night I decided to restore to factory and then from there it got stuck.

I did the NVFlash to restore it back and then I was able to install the Mt. L
Mt. L was working fabulous last night until this morning when I turned the tablet on and it would not go pass the dark purple honeycomb splash screen. I had to flash it again and now I am back to square one on the TNT 1.2-4349 stock LOL

I will be on the lookout for any info you find out this weekend.

Thanks!