[Howto] Install CWM, Custom ROM, Flash Player, and Market Fix for 1.1 based ROMs

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Hi everyone, I just got my g tab and am trying to get the clockworkmod to work. It looks like it installed and it shows the recovery key thing when I hold the on and + buttons but I caqn't get it to go into the full mode. Still looks like it is trying to download when I start up as well. I have read these directions and followed all of them. Even watched a YouTube and did it right along with it. I have done this from both the SD card and internal. What am I doing wrong. Sorry to be such a nooby about all of this...just want to have all of the fun you guys are!!

Debbie

Debbie, not sure if I understand the issue that you had. So, I'd suggest two tips:
1> You will need to hold the power on key and the volume + key at the same time, and will not release them until you see a tiny line of letter on the top left of the screen. This will boot the gtab into either CWM if you had it installed, or into standard recovery mode.
2> After you installed CWM, or any rom using standard recovery, the COMMAND file inside the recovery folder will be erased, but the update.zip file stays. This may be what you are seeing.
Anyway, try the <1> and we go from there.

Dave

alb

Apr 22, 2011
I've read about a thousand ways to flash a new rom and gotten as far as CWM working and backup current stuff. Afraid to do more as there are questions:

Objective 2:

Install a ROM

For this section I will use TnT G-Harmony v1.2. You can change the steps according to the ROM you decided to install. You can find a list of current ROMs here.
ANother website (Android tablets for dummies off of XDA forum) went into "branches" of adroid (1.1 and 1.2???) does it matter which rom goes with what branch? do branches matter?

1. Clean
your MicroSD card or delete the update.zip in the internal storage from Objective 1.
there is no update.zip from step #1 that i can see either in es file exp or on my PC. I put one IN there when i did the CWM install but now it appears to be gone. can it be hidden? why is it not there

2. Create a folder
called ROMs on your internal storage. DONE
3. Copy the gharmony.zip/yourrom.zip to the ROMs folder you just created. (Do NOT unzip the file. CWR uses .zip files. If your file has an update.zip in the original zip file (ie. tnt lite 4.20has an update.zip inside of the gtab_tnt_lite_4.20, rename it toromname.zip or something for easy identification.)
I plan on using Vegan 5.1 as there seems to be conflicting stuff on other sites about branches (1.1, and 1.2 and different ROMs for different branches that this thread does no address. I THINK 5.1 will work with my branch (1.1) but am not sure. I am not sure 5.1 vegan has update.zip in the

Here is where i stop and wait further information from the kind souls here. in any event thanks for getting me to a better recovery boot mode. I hope to get better at this

BTW you may want to mention that you need to move the backup off the SD internal only obvious to me after i wiped it out when i repartitioned 2048/0 (which i prob didnt need to do but read elsewhere that it was "required")

I have an SD plugged in the slot if that helps

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
I've read about a thousand ways to flash a new rom and gotten as far as CWM working and backup current stuff. Afraid to do more as there are questions:

Objective 2:

Install a ROM

For this section I will use TnT G-Harmony v1.2. You can change the steps according to the ROM you decided to install. You can find a list of current ROMs here.
ANother website (Android tablets for dummies off of XDA forum) went into "branches" of adroid (1.1 and 1.2???) does it matter which rom goes with what branch? do branches matter? The link is to my ROMs thread. Not another website. + I even hosted all of the ROMs you will find in that thread.

1. Clean
your MicroSD card or delete the update.zip in the internal storage from Objective 1.
there is no update.zip from step #1 that i can see either in es file exp or on my PC. I put one IN there when i did the CWM install but now it appears to be gone. can it be hidden? why is it not there. You need to do this by putting the SD card back into your PC. Or connect the tablet by USB again to delete the file from the internal storage.
2. Create a folder
called ROMs on your internal storage. DONE
3. Copy the gharmony.zip/yourrom.zip to the ROMs folder you just created. (Do NOT unzip the file. CWR uses .zip files. If your file has an update.zip in the original zip file (ie. tnt lite 4.20has an update.zip inside of the gtab_tnt_lite_4.20, rename it toromname.zip or something for easy identification.)
I plan on using Vegan 5.1 as there seems to be conflicting stuff on other sites about branches (1.1, and 1.2 and different ROMs for different branches that this thread does no address. I THINK 5.1 will work with my branch (1.1) but am not sure. I am not sure 5.1 vegan has update.zip in the.
I have no idea what theses "branchs" are that you talk about.

Here is where i stop and wait further information from the kind souls here. in any event thanks for getting me to a better recovery boot mode. I hope to get better at this

BTW you may want to mention that you need to move the backup off the SD internal only obvious to me after i wiped it out when i repartitioned 2048/0 (which i prob didnt need to do but read elsewhere that it was "required")
What backup are you talking about? The CWM backup? And you do NOT need to repartition. Unless you do not follow the directions and mess something up. I have flashed dozens of times with almost 20 different ROMs and have never had to repartition.

I have an SD plugged in the slot if that helps

See my answers in red. I tried to make this HowTo very very simple. Please let me know if there is something more you do not understand.

alb

Apr 22, 2011
Thanks Fuganater, it would be easy except for:
Reading all the cases of bricking I read and wanting to avoid this.
First experience with android (from a DOS background)
Probably overthinking this!

Install a ROM

ANother website (Android tablets for dummies off of XDA forum) went into "branches" of adroid (1.1 and 1.2???) does it matter which rom goes with what branch? do branches matter? The link is to my ROMs thread. Not another website. + I even hosted all of the ROMs you will find in that thread.

Yes thanks for doing that I was just on this website and it was mentioning branches which I'm betting are not relevant (but in case they are I'm on 1.1 branch)

1. Clean your MicroSD card or delete the update.zip in the internal storage from Objective 1.
there is no update.zip from step #1 that i can see either in es file exp or on my PC. I put one IN there when i did the CWM install but now it appears to be gone. can it be hidden? why is it not there. You need to do this by putting the SD card back into your PC. Or connect the tablet by USB again to delete the file from the internal storage.

I did the update on the internal memory and was perplexed that although there was an update.zip i moved in there for CWM, I could not find it after i executed the CWM either via Es file explorer or connecting to PC

2. Create a folder called ROMs on your internal storage. DONE
I plan on using Vegan 5.1 as there seems to be conflicting stuff on other sites about branches (1.1, and 1.2 and different ROMs for different branches that this thread does no address. I THINK 5.1 will work with my branch (1.1) but am not sure. I am not sure 5.1 vegan has update.zip in the. I have no
idea
what theses "branchs" are that you talk about.

here was
the website that refers to them

BTW you may want to mention that you need to move the backup off the SD internal only obvious to me after i wiped it out when i repartitioned 2048/0 (which i prob didnt need to do but read elsewhere that it was "required") What backup are you talking about? The CWM backup? And you do NOT need to repartition. Unless you do not follow the directions and mess something up. I have flashed dozens of times with almost 20 different ROMs and have never had to repartition.

the backup was the one you would do after installing CWM which resides o internal mamory (i should have figured this and moved it off) I wiped it out when I repartitioned per the website above which i really didnt need to do in retrospect (Any HARM in this 2048/0 repartition?)

SO My plan now is to take the zip file (vegan 5.1)from your download move it to my newly created ROM folder on the internal memory and then load it using CWM. does this sound right?

thanks again for your support and guidance

alb

Apr 22, 2011
OK DONE!!! HAPPY DANCE

A few notes/questions:
1. MILES faster, (Vegan 5.1) and more features right out of the box
2. Android market seems to work fine after first market fix...is there MORE functionality after applying second one?
3. ANy way to get video skype working? audio works well

THANKS To Fuganater for yet another successful guide of a noobie thru the upgrade process

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
As far as I know skype video still does not work.

With the 2nd market fix you can get the HD apps.

alb

Apr 22, 2011
Ok tried second market fix, did the first part made the /system r/w (or maybe not)

it appeared to work as there were # signs as i hit return for each command

when i went to edit the build.prop i changed the line as instructed to olympus but it said there was an error when trying to save and when I opened it again no changes had been made and no HD apps showed in marketplace did this twice so I am assuming I did not complete the rw correctly. hmmm

Is the command mount -o remount or mount -0 remount? assume its the first one as that's what you wrote
Do I power off or just reboot, tried both, I assume the command is persistent thru a reboot

pistoffjstr

Apr 23, 2011
Im trying to install clockwork mod on my G Tablet it trys to boot to back up recovery kernal but gets stuck
any ideas?

ops8888

May 28, 2011
Thanks Dave for responding! I finally got to work!! I was putting the whole file in instead of just what I needed. I think that is what is happening to alot of us.

Debbie

ops8888

May 28, 2011
This will probably sound like a stupid question, but how do you reboot the g tablet? I would like to do the market fix and I am just unsure how to do this step!

Thanks for any help!

Debbie

2di4u

Jun 19, 2011
Ok, I hope there is an easy answer here. Got my hands on a Gtablet for the wife today(no really, it is for her!). It came with bootloader 1.1 and i upgraded to 3588. Then I installed Clockwork mod. It went like a charm. But then I followed Fuganater's how to on the first page. I formatted the micro sd card, created a folder and labelled it ROMS. Then I downloaded tnt lite 4.20. I copied the zipped file and put in in the ROM folder. I rebooted into clockworkmod and followed steps. I am stuck at step 11, subtask 3. When I select ROMS folder I don't see any tnt4.20 in there. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.

This is the error msg I am getting;
Installing : SDCARD:update.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
E: Can't open /sdcard/update.zip
(no such file or directory)
Installation aborted

Thanks to this great community I know I will be up in no time.

Last edited:

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
. . . I downloaded tnt lite 4.20. I copied the zipped file and put in in the ROM folder. I rebooted into clockworkmod and followed steps. I am stuck at step 11, subtask 3. When I select ROMS folder I don't see any tnt4.20 in there. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. . . . .

Suggested that you read section Instructions for those with clockworkmod .8 from this thread [ROM - 1.1] RETIRED - TNT LITE alternate 1.1-based GTAB firmware - [G-TABLET&#092;ZPAD T2] - SlateDroid.com and download TNT Lite 4.4.0.

Good luck,

Dave

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
This will probably sound like a stupid question, but how do you reboot the g tablet? I would like to do the market fix and I am just unsure how to do this step!

Thanks for any help!

Debbie

Reboot = Press and hold the power button for a bit and a message would pop up offering some options. One of the option is 'power off'. Select it. The tablet will shut down. Press the power button again, and the tablet will power up. This is call 'reboot'.
Note: If we just tab on the power button while the tablet is on, the tablet will go to sleep mode. Tap it again, it will wake up.

Some rom may require no market fix. Which rom are you installing ?

Dave

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Ok, I hope there is an easy answer here. Got my hands on a Gtablet for the wife today(no really, it is for her!). It came with bootloader 1.1 and i upgraded to 3588. Then I installed Clockwork mod. It went like a charm. But then I followed Fuganater's how to on the first page. I formatted the micro sd card, created a folder and labelled it ROMS. Then I downloaded tnt lite 4.20. I copied the zipped file and put in in the ROM folder. I rebooted into clockworkmod and followed steps. I am stuck at step 11, subtask 3. When I select ROMS folder I don't see any tnt4.20 in there. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.

This is the error msg I am getting;
Installing : SDCARD:update.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
E: Can't open /sdcard/update.zip
(no such file or directory)
Installation aborted

Thanks to this great community I know I will be up in no time.

The error above is because you are selecting "Install zip from SDCARD > Install update.zip". You must select "Choose .zip from SDCARD" to be able to browse to your ROMs folder.

Did you format the SDCARD in your device or your PC. Try this:

Format the SDCARD in your PC.
Put it into your tablet and boot up.
Format the card via the settings > storage. Unmout it and hit Format SDCARD.
Power off the tablet.
Put the SDCARD into your PC and create your ROMs folder.
Put w/e ROMs you want into that folder.
Put it into your tablet and boot into CWM.
Select "Install zip from SDCARD > Choose zip from SDCARD" (Thats from memory so it might not be the exact words used)
After you install continue with the guide in Post #1.

If you have issues still please let me know.

Suggested that you read section Instructions for those with clockworkmod .8 from this thread [ROM - 1.1] RETIRED - TNT LITE alternate 1.1-based GTAB firmware - [G-TABLET\ZPAD T2] - SlateDroid.com and download TNT Lite 4.4.0.

Good luck,

Dave

There is no reason to search other sites when this thread contains all the information needed to sucessfully do what the title says. Most users do not read the directions correctly the first time and rush through the process and miss a crutial step and get stuck then freak out. I've seen this dozens of times here.