[Howto] Install CWM, Custom ROM, Flash Player, and Market Fix for 1.1 based ROMs

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Fuganater - thanks for the reply. I only have the internal sdCard - no sdCard2. The directions for the internal card installation was followed. As you may recall from a previous post, have not been able to get my sdCard2 slot to work. A new sdCard has been ordered and I am waiting delivery.

In the step where I boot into ClockworkMOD and it tells me to choose Restore/Backup and create a backup, that step was followed.

BTW - where can I get the stock ROM?

Thanks for the clear instructions...

GTab recovery firmware (homebrew and official Viewsonic versions) - xda-developers

patricks

Mar 23, 2011
Fuganater,

I've flashed my gtab using CWM and VEGAn, but today on XDA i looked at the instructions again and it said something about re-partitioning the tablet. I don't know if this was a new addition, but I did not do it before. Should I do that now? I'm guessing it will erase everything. Is it ok if I don't?

Old Rick

Mar 28, 2011
Fuganater, Thanks to your excellent directions, I got CWM and G-Harmony installed on the first try. On Objective 6, in trying to modify build.prop, it will not save. In checking properties, it shows as not writable. Where/how can I change the file permissions to allow a write?

Thanks,
Old Rick

voyageurs60

Dec 27, 2010
Objective 6:

Perform 2nd Market Fix

1. Open your favorite File Explorer. (Astra, ES, etc)
2. Navigate to /system/build.prop
3. Long press on build.prop and select Open As > Text
4. Edit the line ro.product.device=ANYTHING to read ro.product.device=olympus (ANYTHING will be the name of your ROM)
5. Hit the back button and Save your changes.
6. Open the Market and enjoy all the new apps. You should see all the HD apps now.

This fix fools the Market into thinking you are using a Motorola Atrix 4G and gives you access to the Tegra 2 apps.

Same as Rick - the errors I get are...

Error - "The directory system is not writable" - select cancel - and then "Unable to save file" is displayed...

Last edited:

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Ok Ok... trying to find a fix. I don't get the error but it does not save my changes. I'll work on making /system rw.

Edit: Figured it out. Check Objective 6 for details.

Old Rick

Mar 28, 2011
Edit: Figured it out. Check Objective 6 for details.[/QUOTE]

Fug: Works like a champ!! Full Market access now. Thank you, Thank you

smshelton

Apr 7, 2011
My new gTab just arrived and I was wondering if I can load a custom rom without having a microSD card. Objective 2 seems to only talk about loading from SD card. Thanks in advance. I'm really excited to get to more familar with the gTab.

Fuganater, thanks for all your efforts and a great thread.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
My new gTab just arrived and I was wondering if I can load a custom rom without having a microSD card. Objective 2 seems to only talk about loading from SD card. Thanks in advance. I'm really excited to get to more familar with the gTab.

Fuganater, thanks for all your efforts and a great thread.

You do not need an SD card. You can install CWM via the internal method and follow the directions the rest of the way.

smshelton

Apr 7, 2011
You do not need an SD card. You can install CWM via the internal method and follow the directions the rest of the way.
That's GREAT to hear; I hope to do this tonight then. What threw me off was step 11.1 and 11.2 (obj 2) talks about... "from sdcard".

voyageurs60

Dec 27, 2010
Objective 6:

Perform 2nd Market Fix

First we have to make the /system r/w
1. Download Android Terminal Emulator.
2. Launch the Terminal Emulator.
3. Type the following commands.
a. su (Superuser will pop up. You will need to hit Allow so you can have SuperUser access)
b. mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
c. chmod 777 /system
4. Now reboot your device.
5. You should now be able to edit the /system directory. You can now proceed with the market fix.

Be EXTREMELY careful in doing this. You can cause great damage to your devices OS.

1. Open your favorite File Explorer. (Astra, ES, etc)
2. Navigate to /system/build.prop
3. Long press on build.prop and select Open As > Text
4. Edit the line ro.product.device=ANYTHING to read ro.product.device=olympus (ANYTHING will be the name of your ROM)
5. Hit the back button and Save your changes.
6. Open the Market and enjoy all the new apps. You should see all the HD apps now.

This fix fools the Market into thinking you are using a Motorola Atrix 4G and gives you access to the Tegra 2 apps.

Followed the steps exactly - still no joy saving the changed file... running GHarmony 1.2... Thanks

following is a link to my screen shot of my Android Terminal Emulator input... do you see something wrong? What about the first line path... additionally what about the change of leading character after "su"?

http://www.4shared.com/photo/m6pSfQbz/20110408113323.html

20110408113323.html

Last edited:

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Followed the steps exactly - still no joy saving the changed file... running GHarmony 1.2... Thanks

following is a link to my screen shot of my Android Terminal Emulator input... do you see something wrong? What about the first line path... additionally what about the change of leading character after "su"?

20110408113323.jpeg - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

20110408113323.html

Not a Linux pro but why do you have the $ in front of su ? Don't use the reboot command. Exit the terminal and restart the device. See if that makes a difference.

voyageurs60

Dec 27, 2010
Fug - appreciate you taking the time with me. I also am not a unix/android pro. The reason I uploaded the screen shot is for exactly what the screen was showing. I DID NOT place the $ in front of su... in terminal it had the "set". after SU there is a note on screen that says permission has been granted. The leading character then changes to a "#" for some reason.

Originally I did try to exit the terminal emulator and then reboot by using the power button - power button/power off... and then reboot.

Does the initial "Path" which is the default for the emulator look correct?

Thanks - Dan

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Fug - appreciate you taking the time with me. I also am not a unix/android pro. The reason I uploaded the screen shot is for exactly what the screen was showing. I DID NOT place the $ in front of su... in terminal it had the "set". after SU there is a note on screen that says permission has been granted. The leading character then changes to a "#" for some reason.

Originally I did try to exit the terminal emulator and then reboot by using the power button - power button/power off... and then reboot.

Does the initial "Path" which is the default for the emulator look correct?

Thanks - Dan

Ya I mean your performing the commands at the root of the device so that shouldn't matter. I'd have to reload Harmony v1.2 to play with it and figure it out. Unless Peter or another user knows the answer.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I am not sure what to tell you all about this, but this is not the method I used to do this change.

For me what I did is as follows:

1. opened Root Explorer, copied file to my SugarSync directory
2. opened the file on my PC (via SugarSync)
3. edited it in my favorite text editing program (EditPlus3 for me when working with code)
4. saved file back to my PC SugarSync directory
5. opened Root Explorer on my tablet, copied file
6. navigated to the system dir, set it to R/W, pasted file and said yes to overwrite
7. rebooted

done.
took about 5 minutes, and most of that waiting for SugarSync to do it's thing.