[Howto] Install CWM, Custom ROM, Flash Player, and Market Fix for 1.1 based ROMs

grinchy

Feb 11, 2011
This is a step by step guide to install ClockworkMod v08, a custom ROM, Flash Player and how to fix the Android Market.

I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR THE FOLLOWING STEPS. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU BREAK YOUR DEVICE.

Objective 1:

Install ClockworkMod V08

1. Download ClockworkMod V08 from here. You will see two different versions. Internal and MicroSD. Both work just the same.
2. Unzip the file you downloaded (cwmod_internal.zip OR cwmod_microsd.zip) to the root folder of the internal storage or your MicroSD card.
3. Turn off your device.
4. Press the power button and the Volume+ button at the same time and release them when the Viewsonic splash screen pops up. You should see "Detect a recovery key pressed" pop up in the upper left corner of the screen.
5. Watch ClockworkMod install. This will not take long. Your tablet will reboot when installation is complete. Nothing will look different unless you enter ClockworkMod by following the steps below…

Entering ClockworkMod:

1. If you want to get into ClockworkMod you need to shut down your device, then press the Power and Volume+ button (the same way you did to install ClockworkMod).

How to navigate ClockworkMod:

1. The Vol+ and Vol- are to scroll up and down, the home button selects whatever you have highlighted , and the back button backs up one level.

Objective 2:

Install a ROM

For this section I will use TnT G-Harmony v1.2. You can change the steps according to the ROM you decided to install. You can find a list of current ROMs here.

1. Clean your MicroSD card or delete the update.zip in the internal storage from Objective 1.
2. Create a folder called ROMs on your internal storage.
3. Copy the gharmony.zip/yourrom.zip to the ROMs folder you just created. (Do NOT unzip the file. CWR uses .zip files. If your file has an update.zip in the original zip file (ie. tnt lite 4.20has an update.zip inside of the gtab_tnt_lite_4.20, rename it to romname.zip or something for easy identification.)
4. Power off your device.
5. Boot into ClockworkMod.
1. Press the power button and the + button at the same time until you see "Detect a recovery key pressed”. Release the buttons and your device will boot into CWR after a few seconds.
6. Backup your device
1. Go to "backup and restore"
2. Highlight "backup" and press the home button. (This will take a few minutes depending on your data)
3. You will now be able to go back to the stock ROM if you mess up the rooting process.
7. Go to "mounts and storage"
8. Highlight "mount/system" and press the home button. It should now say "unmount/system"
9. Do the same for "mount/data". Will say "unmount/data" if done correctly.
10. Press the back arrow to return to the main menu.
11. Flash the ROM
1. Highlight "install zip from sdcard" and press the home button.
2. Highlight "choose zip from sdcard" and press the home button.
3. Highlight "ROMs" and press the home button.
4. Highlight "G_Harmonyv1.2.zip" or "yourrom.zip" and hit the home button.
5. Highlight "Yes - Install yourrom.zip" and hit the home button.
6. Once the process is complete you should see something like "Install zip from sdcard complete" at the bottom of the screen.
7. Press the back arrow until you return to the main menu.
12. Highlight "mounts and storage" and press the home button.
1. Make sure /data and /system both say "unmount". If not, mount them the same way as steps 8 and 9.
2. Press the back arrow to return to the main menu.
13. Highlight "wipe data/factory reset" and press the home button.
14. Highlight "Yes – delete all user data" and press the home button. (You MUST do this for the ROM to run correctly. If you do not, it may cause a boot loop.)
15. Highlight "reboot system now" and press the home button. (Be patient for the first boot up. It can take anywhere from 5 - 15 minutes)

Objective 3:

Initial Setup

1. Hit "Accept" at the End User License Agreement screen.
2. Select your Timezone, Date and Time. Then hit "Next"
3. If you have a wireless network, select it and type in the security code. Then hit "Next"
4. At the User Profiles screen type in your name or w/e you want it to be. Then hit "Done" (I do not think this step really matters)
5. You will then be given the a choice between the default Launcher and ADW Launcher. (Pick your poison)

You have just successfully installed TnT G-Harmony v1.2 or whichever other ROM you decided to install. Next we will install Flash Player and then Fix the Android Market.

Objective 4:

Install Flash Player

1. Download “Adobe Flash Player 10.1.120.1.apk” from here.
2. Save it to your device under a folder called APKs. (This makes it easier to manage your data)
3. Open the file explorer that comes preloaded with your ROM and browse to the APKs folder.
4. Tap on the .apk and select "Install". This will only take a few seconds.

You now have working Adobe Flash Player on your device.

Objective 5:

Fix the Android Market

1. Launch the Market app. Once it loads close it. (Just tap the Home button)
2. Go into Settings - Applications - System Applications - Market and select "Clear Cache" then "Force Stop". (May be different for different ROMs)
3. Press back once, find "Google Services Framework" and select "Clear DATA" then "Force Stop".
4. Go back to your home screen and launch the Market App again. If you did steps 1-3 correctly you should get an error. If not, redo steps 1-3.
5. Reboot your device. Launch the Market App again.
6. Close the Market App and reboot your device again.
7. Open the market again and do your happy dance. (I've only tried this on 3 ROMs but I have read it works on every ROM)

If I have missed anything please let me know. Cheers.

my tablet just hangs after formatting data/factory reset...

voyageurs60

Dec 27, 2010
pbrauer - I was trying to cheap out. Root Explorer did the trick. Actually was able to use this to enable write privileges to the folder... used the text editor from ES File Explorer which is installed default and did not even need to use the PC... Think it now works... I can see "Old Time Radio" which a previous post said was not available...

PS - from what I can tell SugarSync is kinda'like Dropbox - agree?

Thanks

venkavis

Apr 8, 2011
Just installed the ROM using the instructions. It just worked as described. The tablet seems to be working far better than it was an hour ago. Thanks a ton to Fuganater.

By the way I am stuck on finding the Angry bird app. Searched 'Market Place' but no luck.

How do I get the app installed from Amazon? I see no link to download from Amazon.

Any pointers appreciated.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Just installed the ROM using the instructions. It just worked as described. The tablet seems to be working far better than it was an hour ago. Thanks a ton to Fuganater.

By the way I am stuck on finding the Angry bird app. Searched 'Market Place' but no luck.

How do I get the app installed from Amazon? I see no link to download from Amazon.

Any pointers appreciated.

Not sure why you don't see Angry Birds. I see it When I open the market, go to games, then all games. its the 3rd game down.

Go here Amazon.com: Appstore for Android and on the top right side you will see a Get Started box. Type in your email and open it up on your tablet. It will send you a link for the Amazon Market download.

greystreet

Apr 10, 2011
Thanks for the post! I installed TnT G-Harmony v1.2 and the device ran much better.
I had some issues however a few days after installing TnT G-Harmony v1.2. I noticed that most of the files on the/sdcard folder are gone. I don’t remember what all the files were but I had created a folder called roms in which I had saved TnT G-Harmony v1.2. Also, I created a folder called apk, to which I saved apk files. That is also gone. I think there was a folder called recovery in there as well. All gone. The only folders left are; android secure, android, backups, data, dcim, lost.dir, and miren browser.
I went back into clockworkmod and tried to do a restore. I received a message back that said there was no restore available. I remember specifically, creating a backup before installing a rom (as stated in your instructions) Since the backup is unavailable, I can only assume that it was also deleted somehow from the /sdcard folder or wherever clockworkmod saves it.
I’m not sure what to do next and I’m afraid of bricking the device. Any guidance at this juncture would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Thanks for the post! I installed TnT G-Harmony v1.2 and the device ran much better.
I had some issues however a few days after installing TnT G-Harmony v1.2. I noticed that most of the files on the/sdcard folder are gone. I don’t remember what all the files were but I had created a folder called roms in which I had saved TnT G-Harmony v1.2. Also, I created a folder called apk, to which I saved apk files. That is also gone. I think there was a folder called recovery in there as well. All gone. The only folders left are; android secure, android, backups, data, dcim, lost.dir, and miren browser.
I went back into clockworkmod and tried to do a restore. I received a message back that said there was no restore available. I remember specifically, creating a backup before installing a rom (as stated in your instructions) Since the backup is unavailable, I can only assume that it was also deleted somehow from the /sdcard folder or wherever clockworkmod saves it.
I’m not sure what to do next and I’m afraid of bricking the device. Any guidance at this juncture would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I also lost my original backup. Not sure how but i did. Then again I have flashed my tablet probably 2-3 dozen times since the initial purchase.

I've never lost SDCARD contents before. My ROMs and APKs folders are on my internal storage, not the SDCARD. Your card might be going bad or it could have just been a hiccup. I would recreate your folders on your internal storage and keep your movies/music on the SDCARD.

greystreet

Apr 10, 2011
I followed the instructions and started over with vegan tab. I also did another backup. I’m hoping this is a onetime thing. After installing vegan, everything is running smoothly. I will be saving folders on internal from now on! Thanks for the quick reply.

Androo

Feb 9, 2011
I just did all the following steps and I'm not getting the fixed market. At first I did not do the "2nd Market Fix" and wasn't getting the full market. So then I decided to do the 2nd Market Fix. I restarted and launched the Market App and now I get an error that says "Attention. An error has occurred. Please try again" I then did these steps:

2. Go into Settings - Applications - System Applications - Market and select "Clear Cache" then "Force Stop". (May be different for different ROMs)
3. Press back once, find "Google Services Framework" and select "Clear DATA" then "Force Stop".

And I'm still getting the error. What did I do wrong?

Edit: It started to work now, I restarted my device a couple of times. I got the whole market place now. Thanks a lot for this thread

Last edited:

ronsatter

Apr 13, 2011
When I unzipped cwmod_internal.zip to my root folder of the internal storage, I now have a folder called "cwmod_internal". Will the reboot find and install CWM from within the "cwmod_internal" folder, or do I need to move the contents of the "cwmod_intenal" folder (a folder called "Recovery" and a zipped file called "update.zip") out to the root folder?

I'm asking because I tried the reboot per your instructions and I saw the "detect a recovery key pressed" prompt. Then an install progress bar, but it doesn't apppear to be installing anything. The next reboot with the power and volume down keys does not put the tablet into CWM mode.

#### EDIT ####

I finally got the CWMod to install from the micro sd card. Now I can boot into CWMod mode and have a backup of the original tablet settings.

Last edited:

ronsatter

Apr 13, 2011
I'm confused about the procedure for the Market fix. Do I need to do both Objective 5 and 6, or just part 6. I have not flashed a rom as of this point. Can I do the Market fix with the stock rom?

Also ... in the current release of the stock rom, there is no listing of "Market" in the system applications. Anyone know what the market app is called in the latest stock rom?

Last edited:

ronsatter

Apr 13, 2011
pbrauer - I was trying to cheap out. Root Explorer did the trick. Actually was able to use this to enable write privileges to the folder... used the text editor from ES File Explorer which is installed default and did not even need to use the PC... Think it now works... I can see "Old Time Radio" which a previous post said was not available...

PS - from what I can tell SugarSync is kinda'like Dropbox - agree?

Thanks

How did you install Root Explorer? I downloaded the latest version zip and copied it to the SD Card directory, used Clockwork Mode mode to install zip ... but the app did not show up after reboot. It appeared to be unzipping and installing while in CWR mode ... can't find it.

Ron

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
I'm confused about the procedure for the Market fix. Do I need to do both Objective 5 and 6, or just part 6. I have not flashed a rom as of this point. Can I do the Market fix with the stock rom?

Also ... in the current release of the stock rom, there is no listing of "Market" in the system applications. Anyone know what the market app is called in the latest stock rom?

The Market does not come with the stock ROM. You must install a Custom ROM to have full access. You could always try to sideload the market but I'm not sure if it will work.

How did you install Root Explorer? I downloaded the latest version zip and copied it to the SD Card directory, used Clockwork Mode mode to install zip ... but the app did not show up after reboot. It appeared to be unzipping and installing while in CWR mode ... can't find it.

Ron

Sideload it. Put the APK in a apk folder on your device and use a file explorer to install it.

MKITGO2

Apr 15, 2011
Okay.. Newbie here could use a little help.

Followed the instructions to install CW. Unziped the internalSD Version to the root drive (unzipped the file on my Mac, the copied Update.zip and recovery folder to the Gtab after deleting the same named originals). Powered down, turned on with Vol+ and Power. Got the update pacakged image, then loaded like normal.

Now, here is my issue - When trying to boot into CW I get the "Recovery key detected; Booting recovery kernel image" message.. and she locks up there and has hung for 5+ minutes until I hold power and boot it normal.

I have gone back and deleted the CW version Update.zip and recovery, then copied them back over again and atempted to reinstall but I again get hung up at the Splash screen with the Recovery key message.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
MK

fridge011

Mar 19, 2011
try extracting them directly to the gtab instead of copying it. not too familiar with mac but most of this stuff has to be done through windows or linux, which i believe linux can be easily installed on a mac.

Last edited: