[Howto] Install CWM, Custom ROM, Flash Player, and Market Fix for 1.1 based ROMs

MKITGO2

Apr 15, 2011
Objective 6:

Perform 2nd Market Fix
3. Type the following commands.
a. su (Superuser will pop up. You will need to hit Allow so you can have SuperUser access)
b. mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
c. chmod 777 /system

With the above commands are we hitting enter after each line? And are the spaces needed?

Obviously I am having a hard time getting this one to work.

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB-v1.0.0b5.1.1 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

majorwest

Mar 27, 2011
XDA is for more advanced Users/Devs/Cooks in my eyes. I only go there for the new ROMs. Most users come here for information on day to day usage of their device.

I will never bash someone for being a noob. We were all there once.

No worries. I tend to freak out when I sense inconsistencies. Your guide is clear, concise and very instructive and your effort is appreciated. Thank you!

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
With the above commands are we hitting enter after each line? And are the spaces needed?

Obviously I am having a hard time getting this one to work.

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB-v1.0.0b5.1.1 using Android Tablet Forum

Yes hit enter after each command. And type it in exactly as I showed it. Some places have spaces others don't.

majorwest

Mar 27, 2011
Question about the 2nd market fix: I have NOT performed the fix yet, however, in market, I see many apps with the HD designation. Is it correct to assume that these are NOT the Tegra 2 apps that the fix enables? How are the Tegra 2 apps different from the HD apps without the fix? Do they perform better on the gtab?

Just debating whether it's worth the risk of performing the 2nd fix.

Last edited:

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Question about the 2nd market fix: I have NOT performed the fix yet, however, in market, I see many apps with the HD designation. Is it correct to assume that these are NOT the Tegra 2 apps that the fix enables? How are the Tegra 2 apps different from the HD apps without the fix? Do they perform better on the gtab?

Just debating whether it's worth the risk of performing the 2nd fix.

No real risk involved.

majorwest

Mar 27, 2011
Ok, good to know. I was basically concerned with the warning in red letters that you can cause damage to the os if not careful. This old man can't afford too much stress in his life.

Falcoty

Apr 19, 2011
I just got my tab today, but I am still having trouble getting ClockworkMod to boot.

I also see the loading screen where it is looking for a recovery boot, and I'll see the box with the arrow, but it just boots normally.

I have deleted the update and recovery folers. The cwmod_microsd.zip is currently inside of the sdcard folder (I've tried leaving it unzipped and unzipping it, neither work).

When I try to move it out of that folder and into another (say, the 'root' folder), it always says 'copy failed'.

What am I missing/don't know? I've read the guide through several times and cannot figure this out. Thanks for any help!

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
I just got my tab today, but I am still having trouble getting ClockworkMod to boot.

I also see the loading screen where it is looking for a recovery boot, and I'll see the box with the arrow, but it just boots normally.

I have deleted the update and recovery folers. The cwmod_microsd.zip is currently inside of the sdcard folder (I've tried leaving it unzipped and unzipping it, neither work).

When I try to move it out of that folder and into another (say, the 'root' folder), it always says 'copy failed'.

What am I missing/don't know? I've read the guide through several times and cannot figure this out. Thanks for any help!

You didn't read my instructions correctly. It tells you not to unzip the file. CWM uses .zip files for the installs. You also put the wrong cwm image in the wrong directory. Use the external version and put it on your SDCARD in you PC. Then put it into your G-Tablet.

FYI.... This is all in the instructions.

Falcoty

Apr 19, 2011
Do you mean SDCARD as in the internal one already IN the tablet, or a blank external microsd?

Install ClockworkMod V08

1. Download ClockworkMod V08 from here. You will see two different versions. Internal and MicroSD. Both work just the same.
2. Unzip the file you downloaded (cwmod_internal.zip OR cwmod_microsd.zip) to the root folder of the internal storage or your MicroSD card.
3. Turn off your device.
4. Press the power button and the Volume+ button at the same time and release them when the Viewsonic splash screen pops up. You should see "Detect a recovery key pressed" pop up in the upper left corner of the screen.
5. Watch ClockworkMod install. This will not take long. Your tablet will reboot when installation is complete. Nothing will look different unless you enter ClockworkMod by following the steps below…

And it does say to unzip it, to the root folder of the internal storage. I guess I'm being confused by the specifics. I just tried it unsipped in the sdcard foler (/sdcard/) and still nothing. If that is still the wrong directory, is there a detailed explanation on how to find it exactly?

Morgue

Apr 1, 2011
I just did all the following steps and I'm not getting the fixed market. At first I did not do the "2nd Market Fix" and wasn't getting the full market. So then I decided to do the 2nd Market Fix. I restarted and launched the Market App and now I get an error that says "Attention. An error has occurred. Please try again" I then did these steps:

2. Go into Settings - Applications - System Applications - Market and select "Clear Cache" then "Force Stop". (May be different for different ROMs)
3. Press back once, find "Google Services Framework" and select "Clear DATA" then "Force Stop".

And I'm still getting the error. What did I do wrong?

Edit: It started to work now, I restarted my device a couple of times. I got the whole market place now. Thanks a lot for this thread

I know you got it working, but I have seen this comment in multiple places. Finally going through it myself I realized what many people might be snagging on (not necessarily you). When I restarted (after getting the error that was instigated) I open up market and get another error (3 restarts in a row). Like an idiot I didn't think to wait to make sure wifi was connected before starting the app. Perhaps I am not alone, and that can help weed out some of the issues surrounding this market fix. Make sure you are on wifi before opening market again, then close it and restart one more time, then wait for wifi and open....viola.

My experience is always an error when I try to open the market and there is no network signal (phones tabs etc.).

Morgue

Apr 1, 2011
Followed the steps exactly - still no joy saving the changed file... running GHarmony 1.2... Thanks

following is a link to my screen shot of my Android Terminal Emulator input... do you see something wrong? What about the first line path... additionally what about the change of leading character after "su"?

20110408113323.jpeg - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

20110408113323.html

I ran into the exact same problem. Same $ and everything with the same app. No errors were given, but the build.prop file is still read only.

I can follow the root explorer method or a similar avenue to change that file/folder's permissions to allow me to edit it, but just wanted to make a note that whatever used to work appears to no longer be working, or the very real possibility I (and others) are doing something wrong yet seems like the posted instructions.

I'll try a few things to make sure I am doing nothing obviously wrong.

EDIT: Running Vegan 5.1.1

Last edited:

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Do you mean SDCARD as in the internal one already IN the tablet, or a blank external microsd?

And it does say to unzip it, to the root folder of the internal storage. I guess I'm being confused by the specifics. I just tried it unsipped in the sdcard foler (/sdcard/) and still nothing. If that is still the wrong directory, is there a detailed explanation on how to find it exactly?

Sorry about the unzipping. I was on painkillers when I replied and thought you were talking about ROMs. :smacks forehead:

Just use the EXTERNAL method. It works much better and is easier to understand.

INTERNAL: Means the storage on your tablet.
(Labled as SDCARD in Android 2.1 and EMMC in Android 2.2)

EXTERNAL: Means they MicroSD Card you put into you tablet.
(Labled as SDCARD2 in Android 2.1 and SDCARD in Android 2.2)

majorwest

Mar 27, 2011
I ran into the exact same problem. Same $ and everything with the same app. No errors were given, but the build.prop file is still read only.

I can follow the root explorer method or a similar avenue to change that file/folder's permissions to allow me to edit it, but just wanted to make a note that whatever used to work appears to no longer be working, or the very real possibility I (and others) are doing something wrong yet seems like the posted instructions.

I'll try a few things to make sure I am doing nothing obviously wrong.

EDIT: Running Vegan 5.1.1

Odd. I did the 2nd market fix just last night and didn't run into any problems at all. I was able to open build.prop as a text file as stated in F's tutorial here. It took me two attempts but only because I tried opening the file with the stock explorer which didn't work. I had to download Astro from the market and VIOLA the option to open as text appeared. Looking at Voyageurs60's screenshot, I see that he interpreted F's instruction to boot the device by actually typing BOOT. I didn't do that. I simply booted my device by pressing the power button. Don't know if it makes a difference, tho.

In spite of doing all that, I still don't know how to verify whether this worked or not. I could see many apps in the market with the HD designation BEFORE applying this fix. I still see them, but is there more of them now? I don't know *shrugs* What is an HD app? Does the HD classification refer specifically to Tegra 2? There is no explanation in the descriptions for any of the apps as far as I can see.

Last edited:

apxn82

Apr 26, 2011
can someone please help. I'm a noob at this just got my g-tab trying to installed the clockworkmod but unable to. I can seems to save it in the root dir or where to find the sdcard dir. someone please help.

richmo

Apr 1, 2011
Having some problems applying the 2nd market fix to Vegan 5.1.1. I get as far as making the change to build.prop, but when I go to save it, I get a message that the file can not be saved. I also did the prior Objective 6 steps with the terminal emulator and reboot. Any ideas? Thanks!