[HowTo] Unlocking the Bootloader (Windows)

mcl630

Dec 3, 2012
The guide is intended for Windows users. I know some have gotten this to work in Linux, maybe someone can write a guide for Linux.

Why unlock your bootloader?
In order to install ClockworkMod recovery (or any other custom recovery), root, install custom ROMs or custom kernels you need an unlocked bootloader.

Warning: Unlocking the bootloader will automatically do a factory reset, wiping all your data and settings, as well as any files you have on the internal sd card.

You may be able to use adb backup (see here: [GUIDE] Full Phone Backup without Unlock or Root - xda-developers) and restore after unlocking, but I haven't tested this.

The first thing you need is Lenovo's LeTools. You can download them here: http://download.lenovo.com/slates/k1/letools/letools/LeTools_MultiLang_x86_x64_Full_setup_20320.exe

Steps to setup fastboot:

1. Install the LeTools on your PC.
  2. Reboot your A2109 into the bootloader. There are two ways of doing this:
    1. With the tablet connected to your PC, at a command prompt, type 'adb reboot bootloader'.
    2. Power off the tablet, power it back on and immediately tap the Volume Down button. Connect the tablet to your PC after doing this.
  3. If Windows doesn't recognize your tablet now, follow anika200's guide for setting up the fastboot drivers: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/lenovo-ideatab-a2109-technical/51074-howto-a2109-fastboot.html

You will need to use Lenovo's version of fastboot, NOT the one that comes with the Android SDK. It should be located in:
C:\Program files\Lenovo\LeTools for 32-bit Windows, or
C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\LeTools for 64-bit Windows

Open a command prompt and type:
Code:
cd "\Program files\Lenovo\LeTools"
or
Code:
cd "\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\LeTools"

Now test fastboot by typing:
Code:
fastboot devices

If fastboot is setup properly you should see (depending on what version of firmware your A2109 is running):
Code:
?      fastboot
or
Code:
015d21d938240e13   fastboot
(the letters and numbers might be different for you)

If you see instead:
Code:
{waiting for device}
Then fastboot is not recognizing your device. Go back through anika200's guide and try again.

Now to unlock the bootloader (remember this will wipe your device):

At your command prompt, type:
Code:
fastboot oem unlock

On the tablet's screen you will see two choices: 'No don't unlock' or 'Yes unlock it'. Tap the Volumn Down button until the 'Yes unlock it' option is highlighted, then press the Volume Up button to select it. Your tablet is now unlocked.

To reboot back to Android, at the command prompt, type:
Code:
fastboot reboot

Please let me know if anything here is unclear.

Last edited:

Davy49

Aug 13, 2011
Dear mcl630,
Thanks to you and this guide, I was able to get my A2109 bootloader unlocked. Yeah !
David :D

tasinofan

Jan 13, 2013
Hi androidtablets A2109 experts,

I have a question, ... does unlocking the bootloader reset device to factory defaults, or change device in any other way? For example, does it remove root or does it overwite recovery partition?

Also, how would I know if the bootloader is locked to begin with?

FWIW: from linux, in fastboot, adb does not see device, but, in recocery or normal boot, adb does see device.

note, I have a Medion Lifetab MD 99300 (S9714) which seems basically to be a A2109 with 10" screen (and is seen as A2110 Lenovo). I have hope to have sufficient similarities with A2109 in order to benefit from (and perhaps contribute to) A21xx ROM development (like CM10).

I already rooted (using XDA root many method) and built my own CWM6 which I cloned to SOS partition using 'dd' (agreed not standard method, but, it works fine!).

and CWM backup/restore works fine.

So, right now, it looks I could flash from CWM even if, AFAIK, my bootloader may still be locked (again how would I know?). But, I don't mind trying to unlock bootloader anyways, but then I should be prepared in case anything is going to be erased.

Thanks!

mcl630

Dec 3, 2012
Unlocking the bootloader is equivalent to a factory reset, meaning it wipes /data (I forget if it also wipes the internal sd card). It doesn't do anything to /system or the recovery. Of course if your bootloader is locked you couldn't possibly have anything other than the stock firmware and recovery.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hi androidtablets A2109 experts,

I have a question, ... does unlocking the bootloader reset device to factory defaults, or change device in any other way? For example, does it remove root or does it overwite recovery partition?

Also, how would I know if the bootloader is locked to begin with?

FWIW: from linux, in fastboot, adb does not see device, but, in recocery or normal boot, adb does see device.

note, I have a Medion Lifetab MD 99300 (S9714) which seems basically to be a A2109 with 10" screen (and is seen as A2110 Lenovo). I have hope to have sufficient similarities with A2109 in order to benefit from (and perhaps contribute to) A21xx ROM development (like CM10).

I already rooted (using XDA root many method) and built my own CWM6 which I cloned to SOS partition using 'dd' (agreed not standard method, but, it works fine!).

and CWM backup/restore works fine.

So, right now, it looks I could flash from CWM even if, AFAIK, my bootloader may still be locked (again how would I know?). But, I don't mind trying to unlock bootloader anyways, but then I should be prepared in case anything is going to be erased.

Thanks!

ADB isn't suppose to work in fastboot mode, that's why its called fastboot mode, use fastboot binary and fastboot commands forget about adb while in fastboot mode.
Also if you can change the recovery and or modify system your bootloader isn't locked.

Last edited:

Blackswift

Jan 18, 2013
Hello,

When I do the Unlock I keep getting;

C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\LeTools>fastboot oem unlock
... FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.005s

I try 2 diferent driver and Same issue with both and when I do fastboot devices I get this so I know device is working;

C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\LeTools>fastboot devices
???????????? fastboot

Before I try all this I did run the fastboot -i 0x17ef flash recovery A2109_CWMrecovery-6.0.1.9c.img from another Site in the procees of rooting my tablet but I did not know about the Bootloader unlock at that point so maybe it's my problem.

Please let me know if you help me with this issue or point me to the right direction.

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
Hello,

I try 2 diferent driver and Same issue with both and when I do fastboot devices I get this so I know device is working;

???????????? fastboot

Before I try all this I did run the fastboot -i 0x17ef flash recovery A2109_CWMrecovery-6.0.1.9c.img from another Site in the procees of rooting my tablet but I did not know about the Bootloader unlock at that point so maybe it's my problem.

Please let me know if you help me with this issue or point me to the right direction.

Program files(x86) is if you're running 64 bit windows, just try program files\lenovo\letools

(Don't ask me for help, as I don't care if your phone or tablet explodes, eh:) :) :) :) :) )

tasinofan

Jan 13, 2013
thanks mcl630 and vampirefo for replies

yes I guess my bootloader is unlocked

Note that I did not flash my own CWM using fastboot but I copied using dd while running normal mode. Perhaps I should try using fastboot as well to convince myself that this works too.

have a nice day

yousefhammad

Feb 27, 2013
Hello there, did you find a solution?
Hello,

???????????? fastboot

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
Are you using windows 8? If you are the drivers will not install. I believe there's away of tricking windows 8 to install unsigned drivers, look at xda for a solution

Sent from my Evo 3D GSM using Tapatalk 2

mike100

Mar 1, 2013
Just unlocked bootloader via command prompt, no problem. Now, when trying to flash CWM Command Prompt is saying 'list of devices attached' (nothing) when I type adb devices, and 'error, device not found' when i type 'adb reboot bootloader.'

Given the fact i unlocked five mins ago with no issues I'm assuming this is a simple oversight, anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

mcl630

Dec 3, 2012
Make sure debugging is enabled in the Developer options. When you unlocked the tablet, it did a factory reset, which may have disabled debugging.

beto_nl

Apr 18, 2013
Thank you for this..

Just got my A2109 and will try this as soon as possible, just subscribing for now.
This tablet is for my wife, I am to hoocked on my Phablet the galaxy Note 2

By the way, how to get this thread sticky ?
It should be...unless..there are easier ways to root this device ....