HP dumping touchpads

taichimaster

Apr 29, 2011
HP is dumping their touchpads. 16gb for $99 and 32gb for $149 (if you can find them)

Big question: Can honeycomb be put on this device?

Ken

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
As of right now there are any publicly active ports of HC for the Touchpad. Doesn't mean it won't happen though.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Tablet Forum

HD87

May 14, 2011
As of right now there are any publicly active ports of HC for the Touchpad. Doesn't mean it won't happen though.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Tablet Forum
can't seem to find one online.. post up a link! if you already purchased.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
I believe the HP TouchPad has a locked bootloader.

Not sayin' someone won't crack it an get Android on it, but the only thing that makes the hardware attractive is that it is now going for fire sale pricing. WebOS performance sucked on it, which is part of the reason nobody wanted one.

alphawave7

May 1, 2011
I'm surprised they're suddenly so popular...I guess a 'deal' is simply too good to pass up, even if the money could be better spent! ;)

Reese1ar

Jul 6, 2011
We got so many phone calls and people asking about this today at work (target) and I can't believe how popular it is too. Of course it's funny they are still advertising it on tv. Personally I wouldn't buy any device that 1.) not the best reviews 2.) no future support. Even if it was free, I wouldn't keep it just based on lack of support. Especially since whatever apps were available are all you'll ever get.

alphawave7

May 1, 2011
I'm pretty sure most of the flurry of interest is the upsell potential (fleabay,etc.)..although a few hackers would love Android on the thing. :) I prefer to put money towards current technology, even if it's only current for a few more months than webOS! LOL! Bring on ICS!!!

taichimaster

Apr 29, 2011
My wife has been wanting a Kindle for over a year now. She's been waiting for a color version. I bet when it comes out it will be a couple of hundred bucks.

I thought a $99 Touchpad that runs the Kindle app and can get to her email just might be the thing for her.

I know that it doesn't compare at all to the A500 but a comparison to the Kindle with a possible port to android in the future might be a good buy.

Ken

PS: I've looked all over town and have yet to find one. I've been told the best bet is to leave your email at HP.com and keep an eye on Radio Shack.

taichimaster

Apr 29, 2011
I think you might have just hit a home run with your suggestion.

I had no idea that this product even existed. Will let you know what the family thinks about this.

Ken

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
On Amazon . I read allot of the feedback and it's mixed seems to be either a love or hate thing.

The reason I am interested is my wife has the Kindle 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 3G but likes my a500, however the screen is to large for comfort for reading eBooks. She would like a small tablet so she can read and also do some light surfing.

My concern with this tablet is from what I have read is that there isn't a Market for apps. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Marquis

Aug 22, 2011
Taichimaster, it would compare to Iconia A500, even more, it packs a 1,2 GHz processor, other specs doesn't differ that much.
But indeed, we'll have to wait for the TouchPad port for Android.

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
Taichimaster, it would compare to Iconia A500, even more, it packs a 1,2 GHz processor, other specs doesn't differ that much.
But indeed, we'll have to wait for the TouchPad port for Android.

Agreed but the size almost prohibits it from being used as an eBook reader. That's the reason I was looking for and at 7" low cost Android Tablets.