HTC Flyer

leecut

Mar 18, 2011
Could I use the HTC to connect to a projector and show powerpoint presentations and work on Word documents with an external keyboard? If so, it replaces a laptop for me.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Could I use the HTC to connect to a projector and show powerpoint presentations and work on Word documents with an external keyboard? If so, it replaces a laptop for me.

I'm pretty sure you will be able to. Any android operating system tablet will be able to use Quick Office app and the Flyer will have hdmi out. So you should be able to presentate to your hearts desire. :)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
At this years CTIA show at the Orange County Convention Center held in Orlando Florida, Best Buy was present to confirm an exclusive deal with HTC over the anticipated HTC Flyer tablet launch. Best Buy, Best Buy Mobile, and BestBuy.com will all be stocking the WiFi-only version of the new tablet when it launches.

While rumors suggested the tablet would arrive in March, Best Buy stated that the US release will be arriving in stores and online sometime in the spring. So reading between the lines this could mean anywhere between now and the end of May. There was no mention on price though, which is just as well really given that Amazon’s predications on price (based on its German site) was saying that we could be paying nearly $730, but personally I think this is a little far fetched and if it is going to compete with the iPad 2 it will be a lot lower.

In terms of design, the HTC Flyer sports a 7″ screen encased in a black bezel and silver aluminium backing. The device will run Android, but at this stage Best Buy have only mentioned that it will be running an operating system and have not indicated which one, though we can assume it will run Honeycomb when it finally comes out.

As per most HTC phones the OS will be joined by the....
Best Buy gets exclusive on WiFi-only HTC Flyer

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Sprint may not be the only US carrier spreading its wings with an HTC tablet this summer, oh no -- promotional materials obtained by PocketNow point to the HTC Flyer launching with T-Mobile as well. Though the marketing mockups don't prove that Madam Magenta will actually be offering the 7-inch Gingerbread tablet with Scribe stylus (or distinguish between T-Mobile USA and its European counterparts, for that matter), the carrier's clearly given it a lot of thought, and HTC's spec sheet for the Flyer has indeed listed the AWS bands necessary to carry T-Mobile USA's 3G data since day one. Sneak a peek at what T-Mobile's in-store tablet kiosks might look like at our source link below.

HTC Flyer heading to T-Mobile USA? - Phone Arena

HTC Flyer Tipped for T-Mobile (Images)
HTC Flyer headed to T-Mobile, according to marketing scrapbook? -- Engadget

maildrop

Mar 21, 2011
Make sense. HTC Flyer will go to non-Apple IPAD 1/2 carriers to test market first. Sprint calls it a View EVO. Come in summer. Kind of late to the market. HTC Speed it up. I work hard to find out who or which company is behind this "Scribe technology" beside HTC. I meant which manufacturer or which partner.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I'll be happy when a decently priced "wifi only" version is eventually released.

maildrop

Mar 21, 2011
HTC Pen is sold as an accessory for $79.99. This "Pen" technology is awesome.

HTC Flyer pre-sale to start April 24 at Best Buy, $499

Best Buy confirmed in a statement on its blog that it will be offering the HTC Flyer on pre-sale starting April 25th. The WiFi-only Flyer will sell for $499 when it hits the retail of shelves of Best Buy. The HTC Flyer is the first Android tablet offering from the Taiwanese manufacturer and joins a growing list of Android tablets such as the Motorola Xoom and G-Slate which debuted this year.

HTC's first tablet PC to go on sale in Taiwan soon - CNA ENGLISH NEWS

Taipei, May 10 (CNA) HTC Corp., the world's No. 5 smartphone maker, announced Tuesday that its first tablet computer will hit select stores in Taiwan later this month, as part of its efforts to boost sales in the Asia-Pacific region.

Following the April launch in Malaysia, the 7-inch HTC Flyer will be sold in Taiwan through Chunghwa Telecom Co., Taiwan Mobile Co. and Far EasTone Telecommunications Co., the company said.

HTC said it is also set to launch a cloud-based service on the device in June that will provide 500 to 600 downloadable streaming films for paid subscribers in the country.

Dealers said worldwide sales of the HTC Flyer will be around 2 million units this year, which will help to generate revenue of NT$3 billion (US$105 million) for the Taoyuan-based manufacturer......................................

Last edited:

maildrop

Mar 21, 2011
HTC Flyer's user experiences at Best Buy.

Best Buy - HTC Flyer Tablet - White customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

Some posts:

Great tablet, short on accessories, long on price.

Posted by: gadgetguru4you
from West Coaston 05/23/2011
I just picked up the new HTC Flyer today and had the pleasure of being the first person to open the newest tablet to hit the market. Quality, well built, solid comes to mind when holding the 7" android tablet. All of the kinks have been worked out of Android 2.3.3 and the tablet performed flawlessly unlike my Motorola Xoom which runs Android 3.0. The Android Market is more than well stocked with thousands of apps to find what you are looking for. The screen is crisp, clear and has a wide viewing angle making it a pleasure to view.
The HTC Flyer falls short on what accessories are packed with it, or lack of. The Flyer ships with no case, no headphones and, most importantly, no stylus! For $500.00 HTC should have included a case and stylus at minimum. You'll be into the Flyer well over $625.00 if you buy the stylus and a decent case. Given this price point, you must ask yourself do I want to spend $625.00+ for a 16 gig tablet running android 2.3?
In summary, the Flyer is an excellent tablet. HTC needs to include more accessories for the asking price otherwise I think the Flyer will fly no longer and be a flash in the plan in this fast growing market.
What's great about it: Rock solid quality, exquisite feel in ones hands.
What's not so great: No accessories included, such as, no stylus, no case, no earphones.
No, I would not recommend this to a friend.
19out of24found this review helpful.
Share this review:
Review 9 for HTC Flyer Tablet - White
Wow...Read this one. I've owned most of them

Posted by: JeffreyA
from Charlotte, NCon 05/22/2011
Ok, So I own an iPad (1). I purchased a Xoom, Acer and an iPad 2 and returned them all. Honeycomb is still buggy. The Xoom is too heavy and my wrist started hurting after a week. At first I didn't realize it was from holding the Xoom until I returned it for an iPad 2. The iPad 2 was light and worked faster than the first. But we didn't need two, plus I don't like the restrictions on Apple products. No Flash support is frustrating. Friends post things on Facebook all the time that just won't play on the iPad. I then returned the iPad 2 for the Acer a500. While it is more balanced and easier to hold then the Xoom, it was buggier the Xoom....foreclosures occurred frequently. And it also would wake up for seemingly no reason at all. Nice price but performance seemed loose. I then returned it for the HTC Flyer. Love the flyer. Easy to hold and the screen is crisp and easy to read. The built in browser comes set to view full web sites, which I love. However if you like to see the mobile sites it's an easy option to change in the browser settings. HTC Sense 3.0 looks and works great. No foreclosures so far and the operation is smooth, fast and crisp, Awesome!!! The built in widgets are great. You have the freedom to customize your screens to provide cool dashboards and simple quick access to apps. I really don't miss Honeycomb and will be happy to wait for future versions of Honeycomb that improve performance. I can watch movies, watch slingbox, connect remotely to my mom’s PC with PhoneMYPC, check weather, sports, Facebook, email and set alarm for work in the morning. I’m really impressed with the HTC and 7” may be my tablet size of choice. I also used it on the golf course this morning as a range finder (FreeCaddie Pro or SkyDroid). I also listed to music on Slacker and use it for navigation in the car. All this without errors, foreclosures or unsupported Flash messages. In my educated opinion, this is easily the best tablet on the market. Can’t wait to see the bigger HTC tables. I think they have the right plan. Just looking at the screens and widgets is enough to blow you away. Visually pleasing. Learn from my experience with the other options and buy this one if you’re ready. Obviously others are coming, but this one gets the 5 stars now.
What's great about it: Size, graphics, no foreclosures, fast, easy to customize!!
What's not so great: Nothing so far
I would recommend this to a friend!

kenzo

Jun 14, 2011
I got my Flyer last Sunday and I love it! It has met all my expectations.

My top criteria for selecting a tablet was the OS. I am an Android user (HTC desire) and I wanted to do many things I'm able to do on my phone like email, reading news, watching videos and playing games on a bigger screen. Naturally I wanted the same apps and Android experience.

2nd criteria was the size. I wanted something that I can easily carry with one hand while using my other hand to operate it. My wife has an iPad and I have limited experience in handling Android tablets playing around with my colleague's GalaxyTab and demo units - Xoom, Iconia A500. I liked the Tab form factor the most.

I was left with only 2 choices, the Galaxy Tab and the Flyer. Viewsonic and Huwaei were out of the question. As the flyer has better hardware specs than the Tab and looked great in demo videos I seriously considered it. Based on reviews and demos the performance was very good, so I was willing to overlook the fact it didn't have a dual core processor. HTC sense was a plus. I knew it would be a very stable version of Android. Honeycomb is not important to me at this time because it doesn't seem to be ready for prime time. Hence I bought the Flyer.

Comparing this side by side with the Galaxy Tab, I am very happy with my purchase. Significantly better performace, looks better, and HTC sense beats Touchwhiz hands down.

HTC's Mail app is tablet friendly and much better than stock Android 2.3's. The weather app is amazing. The scrolling news widget works great. I wasn't a big HTC sense fan (I rooted my Desire without hesitation because of the phone's limited internal memory) but seeing the newest Sense on this tablet made me a big fan.

I'm satisfied with the performance and battery life. Battery was fully charged at 7am today. Spent about an hour on games, music and video. 3g on the whole day with push exchange email, gmail and news syncing, and didn't bother checking yet which apps automatically update. It's now 10pm and battery is at 20%. Really happy with that considering the poor battery life on my Desire.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using Android Tablet Forum

kenzo

Jun 14, 2011
Just realized I didn't even mention the pen in my post above. It's a nice to have accessory. Had a good laugh with my son last night drawing on our pictures. Tried taking down notes with the pen during a meeting but I preferred typing on the on screen keyboard. I see the potential but right now its not that great.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P510e using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2011
I have added a Flyer to my collection of tablets.

It's much better than I expected. 7" is small enough to carry around. Most apps don't use two processors, so 1.5GHz ARM A8 with NEON compares well with slower CPUs in dual core machines. The pen is fun too - good for annotating PDFs, for example.

pupfish

May 11, 2011
The key to HTC is to efficiently harness the use of all available resources. SO I LIKE HTC!:):p

ulugeyik

Apr 4, 2012
Anyone here is using the HTC flyer to write small annotations on pdf files -- -as in the margins of articles etc? How do find that experience ? Is the pen usable, the ink thin enough, pen is reponsive?

How about real time note taking?