HTC Flyer's Ridiculous Pricing Revealed at Amazon.de - 669 Euros = Over $900 Bucks!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
HTC-flyer-Amazon-page_thumb.png

Yesterday, we reported that HTC won "Device Manufacturer of The Year," and it is well deserved. They consistently have higher build-quality and more advanced smartphones than most of their competition. It would seem that everyone is entitled to "slip-up" now and again, and HTC is not excluded.

HTC is about to release a weak product with a ridiculous price-tag. If you thought the Motorola Xoom seemed pricey, you'll gag at this one. Amazon.de (a European arm of Amazon in case you didn't know) revealed the price of HTC's new Flyer tablet, and it's going for 669 Euros. As of the exchange market today, that coverts to almost $910 dollars! We reported the lackluster specs of this non-Honeycomb, non-dual core Tablet previously, and it still doesn't compare to the Xoom, or even the Toshiba Tablet.

I'm scratching my head on this one. Let's hope HTC realizes how insane this pricing is, and reconfigures their marketing and pricing strategy. I'm confident they can do for the Android Tablet market what they have done for the Android smartphone market. They just really need to get serious. (Just for the sake of CYA, I suppose it's possible that this is a misprint. - Let's hope so.) What do you guys think?

Source: AndroidPolice via Amazon.de

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
is it perhaps the Non-Vendored version? And we will see cheaper pricing if it comes with a contract?

Jaxidian

Jan 7, 2011
I'm sure this is just like Best Buy's listing of $1,200 for the Xoom. It's not going to cost $900 in the US - they cannot be more expensive than the Xoom unless there is something we don't know about this tablet. Now keep in mind in Europe, they have some huge taxes on imports. We're not talking 5% taxes or anything. So take this with a grain, err, shaker of salt.

Carbira1

Aug 7, 2010
Product Features and Technical Details

Highlights

• Android OS version 2.4 with HTC Sense surface, Android Market, tablet PC, upgrading to Android OS 3.0 is planned
  • 17.8cm (7 inches) tall, kapazativer LCD touch screen, 3.5mm jack, HDMI port (12 pin)
  • Supports HSDPA, WCDMA and GSM network, 1 GB large memory, 32GB internal memory, WiFi (b / g / n), DLNA, micro-USB connector
  • 5 megapixel camera with auto focus and a front camera with 1.3 megapixel resolution for video calls
  • Delivery: HTC Flyer Tablet, 4000mAh battery, stereo headset, charger, micro USB cable, user manual

Features

• Camera, e-mail, GPS, Internet, MP3, radio, touch screen, wifi

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Amazon knows nothing about Android

Edit:

In this case, I may have been wrong. HTC is updating some devices to Android 2.4 in spring, so...

superbike81

Jan 3, 2011
A quick global economics lesson:

You CANNOT just convert a foreign currency to USD and expect that to be the price it will be in the US.

Example:

2011 Porsche 911 Carerra S is €100,400 (which converted is $136,000)

2011 Porsche 911 Carerra Site in the US is actually $90,500.

Quite a big difference huh?

Lesson is: Don't judge the price in America based on the prices in other countries.