Huawei E1750 Sim Card needed??

1thepapa

Mar 25, 2011
First, thanks to all for fielding a noob question.

I'm looking at a Huawei E1750 for my Wife's Flytouch 3. but the ads say "Unlocked, Sim Card not included" soooo... Can they be used without a Sim card? or, do I need one just to get online? If I do need a card, do I have to take it into a Cel phone provider to make it work?
I looked at the installation instructions below, but I didn't see any mention of a Sim card. Any light you could shed on this subject will be much appreciated.

Mar 20, 2011
First, thanks to all for fielding a noob question.

I'm looking at a Huawei E1750 for my Wife's Flytouch 3. but the ads say "Unlocked, Sim Card not included" soooo... Can they be used without a Sim card? or, do I need one just to get online? If I do need a card, do I have to take it into a Cel phone provider to make it work?.

Short answer: NO without a sim card and a sim account you cannot use your dongle to get online

in order to use a 3G service through a dongle of any kind you need a cell provider account
for your convince ill list the easiest way to get it functioning:

you will need

* the dongle itself (UNLOCKED)
* a sim card with your provider of choice*
* your android tablet

* ANY sim will do so long as it is activated. for your initial needs a "simplicity" pay as you go sim is your best bet
Buy your sim and activate it through a cell phone rather than your tablet choosing a high data low talk profile setting

* once activated (and initial pay as you go payment confirmed) place the sim in the dongle

* confirm connection (signal and connection speed through speedtest.net)

1thepapa

Mar 25, 2011
Thank you for that concise answer. It seems pretty clear. Now allow me to throw a monkey wrench into the works. How come my good old black and white nook can get on 3G without a pay service associated with it?

tron62

Apr 23, 2011
I have a 10.2 inch super pad, in the settings it says the brand name sawee pad, however the outside and all the switchs and are the same as the fly touch, I live in Australia but have been told that where I live I cannot access the via a 3G dongle, it says to use a WCDMA Huawei - E1750, can any one tell me if it will work, I live townsville, Queensland, they told me it will work in the capital cities but not here, the ebay seller says they can get a Hangxun E1916 which they say will work but will it work in Australia, thanks for any help.

Mar 20, 2011
Thank you for that concise answer. It seems pretty clear. Now allow me to throw a monkey wrench into the works. How come my good old black and white nook can get on 3G without a pay service associated with it?

ok this took quite a bit of research but it seems that there is a hardware integrated sim in the nook specifically keyed to that device set up to run a no fee 3G service.
Due to the B&W nature and very low data usage AT&T allowed nook users to use "micro burst 3G service" for a fraction of the price of the ongoing NOOK sales.

With this in mind the AT&T cell account that is attached to your NOOK is paid for by you in your initial purchase but not owned by you specifically but instead registered via its serial number to a 3G account tied directly to Barnes and Noble who in turn tie it to your registered NOOK.

So short answer is you paid a premium for company specific tablet that in order to make it popular signed a contract with a huge cell company to make there product much more popular and give you access to there download library without having to access a PC/Mac.

so long as the NOOK remains a viable means of reading e-books (or to be more precise so long as sales outweigh the combined NOOK 3G cell bill) the contract will continue to force AT&T to provide cover for all nooks

this is also the reason many of the NOOKS features simply will not function until it is registered

and no you cannot hack your nook to use it as a wifi=3G hub as the "free" data usage is monitored and limited (although how much data you are allocated i do not know)

again sorry this took so long but proper research takes time

Last edited:

belledee

Oct 18, 2011
* ANY sim will do so long as it is activated. for your initial needs a "simplicity" pay as you go sim is your best bet
Buy your sim and activate it through a cell phone rather than your tablet choosing a high data low talk profile setting

Hello, what do you mean by activating it through a cell phone? Do I have to buy a phone with the card for them to activate it? Thank you