Huawei - Ideos 7" Tablet S7 Just showed up on Best Buy's site

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Wifi only? How?

I thought Snapdragon = 3G functionality: Snapdragon (processor) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The GPS and celluar modem are supposed to be integrated into the chipset. If those features are not present, can it even be called Snapdragon?

Oh and Android 2.2 works fine on 256MB of RAM. Look for information about the Acer Liquid running Android 2.2.

AndroidIsTheTruth

Aug 15, 2010
I'm just going by what both sales rep told me. They had all the spec and didnt mention anything about 3g being on. Said what they were selling were only wifi only and may sell w/ 3g later, but you know sometimes Sales Rep don't be knowing squat. I'm personally thinking they will, but I've seen crazier things with last minute changes on product. They could just be using a stock image.

manfly9884

Jun 18, 2010
Just ordered this tablet today from Best Buy. Once I get it around the 10th-15 of Nov. Will post my findings

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Well I find that really strange. I guess we'll find out. $300 is about where the price point could be even if there's 3G built in... That would have made it more interesting.

Oct 2, 2010
I went to Best Buy today and was told that they would be coming within the next two weeks and that it would be WiFi only.

nrage23

Nov 8, 2010
I picked one up this afternoon at Best Buy. It is awesome. Angry Birds is great on the 7" screen. Makes my Archos 5IT seem like a dog.
3g (CDMA or GSM)
wifi
gps
bluetooth
front and rear cameras
8gig card inside and microsd hc external
Android 2.1

Last edited:

crogs571

Nov 8, 2010
You do know he was referring to it getting 2.3 Gingerbread. Nobody was questioning 2.2 beyond the fact that it only shipped with 2.1. Either way, i'd still rather get the Archos 7 than this. Ti OMAP 1GHz processor, capacitive screen, same lowly 256mb for apps, and it will have Froyo as soon as they work out the bugs. Heck, my Epic doesn't even have Froyo yet due to bugs.
Oh and Android 2.2 works fine on 256MB of RAM. Look for information about the Acer Liquid running Android 2.2.

nrage23

Nov 8, 2010
I have seen complaints about the touch screen being resistive in lieu of capacitive but I have had no problems with it. I was using an Archos 5 IT that is capacitive and have not noticed much difference.

catchacold

Nov 8, 2010
I dont think this has phone capibilities. Can someone confirm?

Just went and looked at Best Buy's site and it looks like they change the Product Features

Product Features

• 7" color touch screen
    For clear viewing of your messages, photos and videos.
  • Built-in Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n network
    For Internet capability on the go (additional fees may apply).
  • Android 2.1 operating system
    Allows you to stay connected and productive on the go.
  • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR capability
    For wireless communication with a Bluetooth-enabled device.
  • Store photos and videos
    Up to 8GB with the microSD card slot (media not included).
  • Built-in 2.0MP front/rear digital camera
    For taking still photos.

cricker

Nov 10, 2010
I just picked one up from BestBuy (physical store, not online). While the weekly ad, the store clerk, and the display in the store both stated that it was wifi only, the box itself stated 3g. I popped my SIM in and placed a call; call quality was quite good.

As far as other impressions:
- Doesn't charge off USB :(
- Rumoured of mediocre battery life (3-5 hours), I'll test this out tonight after letting it charge. However, given that it's a 2200MH battery, I'll be surprised if it gets great battery life.
- The (resistiive) screen quite responsive, although my cell phone (Nokia N900) is also a resistive screen so I'm used to having to use a little more pressure.
- Picture is quite good, although washes out in direct sunlight.
- I like the interface. The icons are a little cheesy / dated, but there's a number of nice touches that work well.
- Build quality seems quite good.

If battery life is at least passable, I'll be happy.

I dont think this has phone capibilities. Can someone confirm?

Just went and looked at Best Buy's site and it looks like they change the Product Features

Product Features

• 7" color touch screen
    For clear viewing of your messages, photos and videos.
  • Built-in Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n network
    For Internet capability on the go (additional fees may apply).
  • Android 2.1 operating system
    Allows you to stay connected and productive on the go.
  • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR capability
    For wireless communication with a Bluetooth-enabled device.
  • Store photos and videos
    Up to 8GB with the microSD card slot (media not included).
  • Built-in 2.0MP front/rear digital camera
    For taking still photos.

viafonetech

Nov 10, 2010
Hi,

I am trying for the world of me, to identify whether the Ideos Tablet S7 on the best buy website, actually has 3G built in or not?

It doesn't specify and I can't figure it out for the world of me. I have tried writing to Huawei directly as well....however no help.

Many thanks.

nrage23

Nov 8, 2010
Hi,

I am trying for the world of me, to identify whether the Ideos Tablet S7 on the best buy website, actually has 3G built in or not?

It doesn't specify and I can't figure it out for the world of me. I have tried writing to Huawei directly as well....however no help.

Many thanks.

Yes it does. GSM for sure and I believe it will do wCDMA aswell. They processor is a QualComm SnapDragon @768mhz which supports wCDMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.