Huawei - Ideos 7" Tablet S7 Just showed up on Best Buy's site

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishy

Aug 2, 2010
am told that TMobile 2G works on this;

You didn't need to do anything to apn? It sounds like I got one of the bad ones. Will try it again tonight and if still bad will exchange it when I get back in town this weekend. Hopefully I won't have to do it 3 times like shanksv.

Sorry meant to ask Steve that question.

Last edited:

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
^i have not tried it yet, will get my S7 tonight; but will not be able to test TMobile since i do not have a TMo sim;

(i read earlier on this forum that someone got their TMo sim working...)

nurse_gal

Nov 15, 2010
Hello, I am new here. after reading the forum I purchased an S7 and a prepaid sim card with data from AT&T. I followed the directions on this post but have not been able to get voice or data working. I thought that maybe the settings for the prepaid sim might be differeant then the above. Does anyone offhand know if this might be the case? Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
Hello, I am new here. after reading the forum I purchased an S7 and a prepaid sim card with data from AT&T. I followed the directions on this post but have not been able to get voice or data working. I thought that maybe the settings for the prepaid sim might be differeant then the above. Does anyone offhand know if this might be the case? Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

nurse_gal, hopefully you do not have issues like I did. Try the following and see if it makes any difference. First off the obvious have you tried the SIM card on another phone to make sure it works:) The device seems to recognise the SIM only with a complete power cycle, so turn it completely off (long press power button) and on. Goto settings-wireless & networks-mobile networks-enable data service-change network mode to GSM and add the APN as stated earlier in this thread. Turn it completely off and on again and see if it works.

Good luck

nurse_gal

Nov 15, 2010
shanksv, i think I may be experiencing the same issues you did. unfortunately I do not have another At&T phone to test the sim card on but it did work in the Huawei one time, but after I powered the unit off i could not get it to work again. I may swap the unit out at best buy before the 14 day period is up. I 'll update after the swap. Thank you for the help. :)

tcat

Nov 17, 2010
I was playing with the S7 at BB last night. I made the mistake of playing with the ipad before that, so I was not "that" impressed, but for $200 less can't beat it (this week). I have a few questions:
1. I searched the camera settings and could not find how to switch from front to rear, is that setting there somewhere?
2. What can you tell me about SIM cards? I have a prepaid VM Oystr (cheap phone), can I use it's SIM (if it has one)? If not where do I buy SIM cards? Do I need service contract? Does VM sell their unlimited data 300 minute voice plan on a SIM card? I may be happy with WiFi, but just wondering what the options are.
3. How well does Ndrive work (GPS)? Does it work on WiFi alone (if no SIM is installed)?
Stuck thinking about this, the Archos 43 or 70, or Dell m101z (yeah totally different direction, but can use Google Voice directly with it).

Thanks!
Tom

ufxss

Nov 16, 2010
The good thing that i found with the Cruz vs the S7 are:
-Capacitive Touch Screen
-Battery lasts much longer
-It can be charge by the USB port which is a Big thing for trips

Of course does not have phone capabilities,carmera, bluetooth or gps.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
The usb charge on the Cruz is a trickle at best based on my testing. USB simply is not designed to provide enough current to charge devices as large as that.

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
I was playing with the S7 at BB last night. I made the mistake of playing with the ipad before that, so I was not "that" impressed, but for $200 less can't beat it (this week). I have a few questions:
1. I searched the camera settings and could not find how to switch from front to rear, is that setting there somewhere?
2. What can you tell me about SIM cards? I have a prepaid VM Oystr (cheap phone), can I use it's SIM (if it has one)? If not where do I buy SIM cards? Do I need service contract? Does VM sell their unlimited data 300 minute voice plan on a SIM card? I may be happy with WiFi, but just wondering what the options are.
3. How well does Ndrive work (GPS)? Does it work on WiFi alone (if no SIM is installed)?
Stuck thinking about this, the Archos 43 or 70, or Dell m101z (yeah totally different direction, but can use Google Voice directly with it).

Thanks!
Tom

This should not be compared to an iPad, they are just 2 different devices. As for your questions
1. Press Menu while in your camera app and select secondary camera
2. Don't know, I would guess any SIM with data plan and the correct APN settings should work
3. GPS does not need SIM or WiFi if the mapping software and maps are all locally installed.

tcat

Nov 17, 2010
So how does GPS know where you're at if not with WiFi or SIM? Straight satellite shot? So if mapping software were downloaded to say an Archos 43, it would not work (unless you had WiFi), right? S7 is looking better everyday. It's not "that" different from an Ipad is it (other than screen size, screen type, OS, and half price).

I mainly want gmail and browsing, but want something bigger than a 3" phone. I'll probably wait for the non SIM version to hit BB... there's hot spots all over here (Austin, TX), and in my house (where there's no phone service at all). Thanks for your answers!

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
Satellites are constantly bombarding us with the signals so if you have a GPS receiver and a client mapping software you do not need internet access. If you want to use Google maps, Bing etc. you will require internet access. So that is the key locally loaded maps and mapping software of maps from the cloud :)

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010

Thanks!
Tom

To follow up with Shanksv's response, here are a couple of other thoughts:

2. My smartphone is, and will continue to be, an HTC Incredible on Verizon. I use my phone and my tablet in different, but complimentary ways. That being said, I have played with a Pre-paid SIM card and it works just fine that way, but even better is Google Voice and Skype, both of which work over Wifi. I don't even keep the SIM chip in the device

3. The GPS is part of the Snapdragon, and N-Drive locally stores the maps, so there is no need for WiFi or a SIM. Personal Experience, I have not tested that, but I have been using Google Maps tethered to my Incredible for the larger screen and that works a treat.

scottyb1967

Nov 18, 2010
If I do not want to take my SIM card out of Blackberry on ATT, is there any type of prepaid SIM card that would be a cheap way to use the device when occiassionally not in WIFI area?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
The O2 Prepaid Wireless SIM card at Best Buy. Cheap, makes it a phone when you need it. Runs over the AT&T network.

TheVicster

Nov 14, 2010
If I do not want to take my SIM card out of Blackberry on ATT, is there any type of prepaid SIM card that would be a cheap way to use the device when occiassionally not in WIFI area?

The O2 Prepaid Wireless SIM card at Best Buy. Cheap, makes it a phone when you need it. Runs over the AT&T network.
True, just remember that card is voice only, no data. I personally pull the sim card out of my iphone and put it in the S7 for most of the day while at work. That gives me access to anything I want to do over the net, and keeps my in phone contact as well should somebody call me. End of the day, or when I run out of juice, I put the card back in my iphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.