Huawei Ideos S7 - Post-Root Tips Sharing

zuc

Dec 10, 2010
I used z4root to do achieve a temporary root. Then I used Titanium Backup to uninstall Facebook and Twidroid. After a reboot, the apps are still there.

What did I do wrong?

Thank you.

Jokout

Nov 28, 2010
For the life of me I can't find any where in any of my posts where I referred directly to you, and I have way too many demands on my time to get in a silly flame war with anyone!
With that said, I will point out that not everyone shares your lofty standards for any device and through your own admission your comments were "over the top"!
I just find this entire line of speculation over a pending upgrade to 2.2 somewhat silly since the "promised" upgrade has always been stated as "1st quarter 2011"! Since this is Jan1,2011,seems to me no one has broken a "promise" yet!
Just a thought here, if your going to get mad at anyone, wouldn't it be Best buy since THEY made the promise to begin with?!
cheers

AAndrew

Dec 26, 2010
I used z4root to do achieve a temporary root. Then I used Titanium Backup to uninstall Facebook and Twidroid. After a reboot, the apps are still there.

What did I do wrong?

Thank you.

Try this : Use z4root to do a permanent root, then remove the apps, then reboot. After that, go back into z4root, and select "un-root".

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
My I suggest that we all start the new year off on the right foot. :) And remember everyone is entitled to their own opinion.:cool: And yes- i love my Hs7,... and my iphone,... and my nook, ...and my pdn( which is now going back in light of the hs7). I love them all for what they can do. They are all good in their different ways. And they will all be obsolete in light of the advances being made. And everyone of them is hacked to the best of my ability, with the exception of the hs7. But I'm waiting not too patiently to make the hs7 the best it can be. It's pretty great right now so I'll continue to try to be as patient as I can be.:eek:

zuc

Dec 10, 2010
AAndrew,

Thank you for your suggestion, but even with a permanent root, Facebook was put back after a reboot.

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
This should work, just be careful you don't brick the tablet. Root the device, get a terminal app, change the system and data partitions to read write, use busybox bash shell, look in /data/app and /system/app for a facebook sounding apk file, delete the file, reboot and hope that it all works ok.

tech

Jan 2, 2011
Can anyone suggest me how can I use my front camera while using fring vdo call

Sent from my S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

bencostello

Dec 30, 2010
For the life of me I can't find any where in any of my posts where I referred directly to you, and I have way too many demands on my time to get in a silly flame war with anyone!
With that said, I will point out that not everyone shares your lofty standards for any device and through your own admission your comments were "over the top"!
I just find this entire line of speculation over a pending upgrade to 2.2 somewhat silly since the "promised" upgrade has always been stated as "1st quarter 2011"! Since this is Jan1,2011,seems to me no one has broken a "promise" yet!
Just a thought here, if your going to get mad at anyone, wouldn't it be Best buy since THEY made the promise to begin with?!
cheers

Haha... (banging my head on the desk). Well you can't go on a bb without pissing some off I guess. Apologies all around.
@ Rokky I don't think my "perspective" is off. I'm just hoping that the $300+ device I just bought will get a confirmation on 2.2 before my 14 days are up. My wife would be pretty damn happy to get that $ back and do some shopping of her own.
I have about 20 apps installed mainly for reading ebooks, graphic novels (.cbr, .cbz), and for watching video on a few long trips that I am taking. And I am still getting the error that I have run out of room and need to uninstall apps! I have uninstalled every app but those absolutely necessary and I only have about 22 MB left. I'd say that is a major problem for this device! And as far as Windows mobile apps "often" having a problem running apps from an sd card, that is pretty much false. The only apps that "NEED" to run from the device itself are applications that are used in the UI or are need with system start-up. Games, Tom-Tom, google apps, skype and pretty much every app work great off the SD. I'm guessing if you have heard of problems they are "phone/device specific" or restricted to a few apps such as SPB Mobile Shell.
So like you said, I will probably be taking my device back. I'm surprise you say that 2.2 wasn't a big factor in that decision. It is pretty much the perfect product for the perfect price. Lack of flash and the app installation directory seem to be the only problems I've had with it.
@Jokout, LOFTY STANDARDS? 2.2?
Really is that lofty?
I didn't say my comments were over the top. I said my email to the company was intentionally "going a little too far" in order to put some pressure on them to give a confirmation/denial of 2.2.
You say that no one has broken their promise? Well an email from Huawei stating AND I QUOTE:
"Dear Sir/ Madam
thank you for your appreciation to our S7,we do not have plan for Andriod 2.2 at present, you could visit our website, the latest news concerning Andriod-based device would be posed the first time at here.
Thanks"
That would be breaking the promise.
I was NEVER given a "Promised release date of Q1 2011". I have only seen that on this thread. Best Buy only said "soon". This email DIRECTLY FROM HUAWEI says that they have NO plans to implement 2.2.
And as for being pissed off at Best Buy, I guess you must not live in the US because if you live here you pretty much hate them. I would only shop online with newegg and a few other trusted sites if I could but sometimes due to price/just wanting to test drive I am FORCED to shop at Best Buy. No offense to the employees many of my friends have and are employed there (they hate it too). I couldn't hate Best Buy more if I wanted to. but sometimes a deal is a deal.
And as for your "I just find this entire line of speculation over a pending upgrade to 2.2 somewhat silly...."
Then why are you on this thread? I think this is a thread for people who own or might buy an S7 and are anxiously awaiting news of 2.2.
I can tell you that for myself and six of my friends this news is a deal maker/deal breaker and I'm sure that if you explained the limitations of 2.1 to any newb they would be turned off pretty quickly. Have you ever seen a girl with a new iphone/ipad/ipod touch or an HTC EVO? I have. The first place they go is for apps and they get THEM ALL. And I have to admit it is the first thing I do after a basic test of the device.
So "lofty", "silly", "speculation", yeah my $300 is worth it. I hope to hear from JackJack or someone else with an "absolute" answer yes or no on 2.2.

bencostello

Dec 30, 2010

I haven't made a test call with Fring yet but I think that if you switch "cameras" using the "menu" button before making the call it will default to whatever camera was last used. But I'll install Fring and give it a try myself. (I had to uninstall Fring due to limited space!)

bencostello

Dec 30, 2010
I tried it several ways and it did not work. But after searching this site I found a thread that gave info on how to make it work here:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/huawei-tablets/4816-video-conferencing-app.html
Unfortunately, you have to download and install the "overclocking kernel". However if you install that your "rear facing camera" will not work.
Here is the step-by-step link on how to install the "overclocking kernel":
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-how-overclock-thanks-googoane.html#post26789
Apparently all front-facing video conferencing is not working with any app.
Sorry, I gave it a try.

zuc

Dec 10, 2010
Thanks pvella. I will wait and see on your suggestion since there is a chance of bricking the device and all.

How about selecting the "Chuck Norris" mode in Titanium Backup? Chuck can do anything :)

Edit: Chuck can't do it either.

Last edited:

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Haha... (banging my head on the desk). Well you can't go on a bb without pissing some off I guess. Apologies all around.
@ Rokky I don't think my "perspective" is off. I'm just hoping that the $300+ device I just bought will get a confirmation on 2.2 before my 14 days are up. My wife would be pretty damn happy to get that $ back and do some shopping of her own.
I have about 20 apps installed mainly for reading ebooks, graphic novels (.cbr, .cbz), and for watching video on a few long trips that I am taking. And I am still getting the error that I have run out of room and need to uninstall apps! I have uninstalled every app but those absolutely necessary and I only have about 22 MB left. I'd say that is a major problem for this device!

Ben,

Finally decided to wade in on this one (perhaps at my own peril). I picked up an S7 in mid-November as it seemed to fit the bill regarding a mobile device that I could use in my car that would allow me to port my music collection between multiple vehicles, provide good "metropolitan area" navigation with google maps (without needing to purchase and install map updates - important since my area is getting a significant infrastructure upgrade and new roads/routes are being opened on almost a monthly basis), allow streaming of internet radio content and Pandora, and provide on-the-go access to the internet and email etc. Up to this point I was using a mifi card and a UMPC to do this. Clunky but it worked. The S7 blew the UMPC solution away - it was like the telegraph vs. the television. As I started loading apps on my S7 to my heart's content I ran into the "android" application memory issue (this isn't an S7 thing obviously but applies to all pre-Froyo android devices). I was so impressed with the S7 and android that I decided to upgrade from a Palm Centro [loyal palm device user for over 12 years] to a 2.2 phone (LG Optimus S) for myself and my wife. First off, while 2.2 is great, it is not a panacea regarding the apps memory issue as I've found that I can only run less than 50% of my android apps from the SD card. Second, regarding "Flash" compatibility, 2.2 is also not all that either. I find that by using the Skyfire browser (for both 2.1 and 2.2) I get all the flash compatibility i need. I guess what I am trying to say that what I've found is that an S7 upgrade to 2.2, while nice, is not IMO going to be the game changer for this device, but finding the right "companion" device (with your choice of OS) to compliment the S7 from an apps and functionality is going to be the best answer. The other way to look at is I don't intend to single up on my phone or my S7 - I need both devices in my particular situation to address my daily task needs. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

bencostello

Dec 30, 2010
Ben,
Finally decided to wade in on this one (perhaps at my own peril). I picked up an S7 in mid-November as it seemed to fit the bill regarding a mobile device that I could use in my car that would allow me to port my music collection between multiple vehicles, provide good "metropolitan area" navigation with google maps (without needing to purchase and install map updates - important since my area is getting a significant infrastructure upgrade and new roads/routes are being opened on almost a monthly basis), allow streaming of internet radio content and Pandora, and provide on-the-go access to the internet and email etc. Up to this point I was using a mifi card and a UMPC to do this. Clunky but it worked. The S7 blew the UMPC solution away - it was like the telegraph vs. the television. As I started loading apps on my S7 to my heart's content I ran into the "android" application memory issue (this isn't an S7 thing obviously but applies to all pre-Froyo android devices). I was so impressed with the S7 and android that I decided to upgrade from a Palm Centro [loyal palm device user for over 12 years] to a 2.2 phone (LG Optimus S) for myself and my wife. First off, while 2.2 is great, it is not a panacea regarding the apps memory issue as I've found that I can only run less than 50% of my android apps from the SD card. Second, regarding "Flash" compatibility, 2.2 is also not all that either. I find that by using the Skyfire browser (for both 2.1 and 2.2) I get all the flash compatibility i need. I guess what I am trying to say that what I've found is that an S7 upgrade to 2.2, while nice, is not IMO going to be the game changer for this device, but finding the right "companion" device (with your choice of OS) to compliment the S7 from an apps and functionality is going to be the best answer. The other way to look at is I don't intend to single up on my phone or my S7 - I need both devices in my particular situation to address my daily task needs. Just my 2 cents.
@vferrari Thank you for your very informative post. I too am a Palm fan. I wish consumers would have backed the Palm "comeback" I think it had great potential.
So first, I am really not concerned about flash. Like you said, I have skyfire and that pretty much solves the issue for me. The "app limitation" is the "major" issue for me. This is the first I have heard that 50% of apps will run from the SD card! That is pretty huge! Have you heard any info that this might be "device specific" or have you heard others saying that this is happening to Android devices across the board? This isn't "necessarily" a pre-Froyo specific problem because there are more than a few devices who run Android off of main memory that is MUCH larger than the measly 175MB (actually much less than that is available for apps on S7) avilable on the S7. Some Andoid devices are similar to iPhones etc. that run on flash drives some up to 8 gig. Unfortunately, those devices are a bit out of my price range but then again Froyo wouldn't really matter to me in that case.
And I like you, am not using the S7 for its cell capabilities at all but for music, reading, video etc., maybe even GPS but I'm not focused on that right now. My phone is still my primary device for everything else (and I am still pretty fond of my ipod touch for jogging music, and a few games etc. - but it SUCKS FOR READING!)
But thank you for your informed reply, this gives me something more to think about since I have only 2 days left to return the device. I am really a pretty reasonable guy, hopefully I didn't endanger your peril! (ha!)
thanks again
-Ben

bencostello

Dec 30, 2010
Ben,

@vferrari And one more thing. I'm really not looking for a "one device solution". Like I said I own several devices, which each have their purpose. I just want to take FULL ADVANTAGE of the big beautiful screen of the S7 and install apps to my heart's content - not for "necessity" but for enjoyment, like I said $300 is a lot of money for me. Most of my "necessities" are met with the current S7. Like I said video and e-reading are my main interests but installing apps for use beyond that is pretty much impossible because I need quite a few e-readers since my library goes from .crb to .lit, .mobi, .epub, HTML and others.
But again, thanks for your input.
-Ben

bencostello

Dec 30, 2010
Well tomorrow's D-Day and I am 99% sure I am taking it back. It has been a lot of fun but I just can't justify the price, since I'm not using this as a phone or on any kind of data plan. So a lot of the features are just not necessary for me now. But I am going to hate taking it back. I do have a question that I have not been able to find an answer to anywhere. (And yes, I know this is not the thread for this question.) This probably won't be a make or break feature for me but I would like to know. Anyone who uses Kindle on this device (or any Android device) do you HAVE to have all of the ebooks (.mobi for instance) in the same "Kindle" folder? Because I like to have each ebook in its own folder but Kindle doesn't seem to find the ebooks within folders that are within the "Kindle" folder. And also, has anyone successfully moved the "Kindle" folder to the external SD card?
Sorry for the "out of place question" but I would be grateful for an answer.