Huawei Ideos S7 - Post-Root Tips Sharing

Triune

Nov 29, 2010
I would have to second the kudos being given to the S7 - works great for what I use it for, whether I have 2.2 or not. That being said, always like to improve when and where I can, with hopefully reasonable expectations.

Came across this bit tho in light of the age of the article I am guessing it contains a misprint in the reference to 2.2 - Froyo. Huawei Smakit S7 3G Android 2.2 Tablet PC Launched India Price Review -

while there were some references in the earlier thread no one seemed able to verify or debunk - any news?

zuc

Dec 10, 2010
I couldn't get Titanium to uninstall Facebook, Twidroid, etc.

Root Uninstaller by Android Text could.

olewh

Jan 1, 2011
I would have to second the kudos being given to the S7 - works great for what I use it for, whether I have 2.2 or not. That being said, always like to improve when and where I can, with hopefully reasonable expectations.

Came across this bit tho in light of the age of the article I am guessing it contains a misprint in the reference to 2.2 - Froyo. Huawei Smakit S7 3G Android 2.2 Tablet PC Launched India Price Review -

while there were some references in the earlier thread no one seemed able to verify or debunk - any news?

In India its widely advertised that the S7 has Froyo 2.2. However, I think this was an aspiration at the time the promotion in India kicked-off, and its not reality. I sent emails to two outlets in India. javed pasha <[email protected]> in Bangalore says its not 2.2 its 2.1 . The other 'seller' obviously doesnt have any in stock and has never had any in stock. Merely an aspiration I think. Disappointment.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
In India its widely advertised that the S7 has Froyo 2.2. However, I think this was an aspiration at the time the promotion in India kicked-off, and its not reality. I sent emails to two outlets in India. javed pasha <[email protected]> in Bangalore says its not 2.2 its 2.1 . The other 'seller' obviously doesnt have any in stock and has never had any in stock. Merely an aspiration I think. Disappointment.
The mobile phone industry to a T!

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
Uh oh. Z4root has been removed from the marketplace. I previously used it to root my S7 with the stock ROM, but now I'd like to root again since I installed a new ROM. Does anyone have a link to the .apk file that works?

bencostello

Dec 30, 2010
I actually had trouble with that one for some reason but I found it on the Xda site, you just have to register (for free) to download.

poncespr

Nov 24, 2010
Funny, I uploaded it. And it is the version I am using on my S7. Oh, well, just trying to help. At least you got it solved.

bencostello

Dec 30, 2010
Yeah, I tried the download again then compared it too the one from xda and the files were identical. The first one I downloaded from the link above I think got interrupted or something. Thanks for the link though! I did finally get it rooted!

garycb

Jan 21, 2011
I am new to Android and still learning. I want to use Titanium Backup but understand my S7 must be "rooted". I have no idea of what this means. Is there software to do this? What does "rooted" mean? If I "root" my S7 am I going to have operational error messages similiar to what I have read here. Are there apps that won't run because the unit is "rooted"? Lastly is there any other benefits to "rooting" the unit, other than being able to install the Backup software? Thanks for your patience.

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
>I am new to Android and still learning. I want to use Titanium Backup but understand my S7 must be "rooted".
Yes

> I have no idea of what this means.
It means that you have greater access to the system, allowing you for example to change and install things that would not normally be allowed.
For example, doing a backup of the system files.

> Is there software to do this?
Yes, you can follow the link a couple posts above to get "Z4root" and install that by putting it on your SD card and then using an application such as "astro file manager" to install it by clicking on it.

>What does "rooted" mean?
It means that you will have "root" permission to do things that are not normally permitted

>If I "root" my S7 am I going to have operational error messages similiar to what I have read here.
No

>Are there apps that won't run because the unit is "rooted"?
No

> Lastly is there any other benefits to "rooting" the unit, other than being able to install the Backup software?
Yes, there are other things that could be installed that require the root permission, such as "tethering" applications. You may or may not be interested in those.

>Thanks for your patience.

garycb

Jan 21, 2011
Thank you very much for the information it was very helpful. I see I have a lot to learn but willing to listen and learn. One last question I have read conflicting information as to the possibility of a upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 what do you think?

garycb

Jan 21, 2011
I just installed z4root on my Ideos S7 internal memory, running 2.1. After that I installed Titanium Backup. The backup won't work because it does not have root access. I looked at z4, and access to the root FAILED. Under Problems it suggested I download the latest version of BustBox, which I did. Still no success. Any thoughts or suggestions?? Thanks.

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
A capacitive version of the S7 is around the corner, and a 2.2. upgrade will be made available for the existing S7.
At least in Norway, that is, but I can't believe they would leave out big markets like the US.
The 2.2. upgrade was confirmed to me by Huawei Norway yesterday, but as a disclaimer they said that Huawei, being a large global company, may choose different marketing strategies in different markets, but as I said I doubt that they would can the 2.2 sw upgrade when it's already available in Norway - and if they did it would probably be rather easy for you in US to get hold of it and install it.
I have today received another confirmation from Huawei Norway that a software upgrade to 2.2 Froyo indeed will be released, this time they said around March/April, which corresponds well with this post on the Huawei forum:
Huawei Technical Forum: ADOBE FLASH PLAYER JAVA ...

But I still don't know whether this is a global upgrade or for Norway/the Nordics only.
Bear in mind that the S7 sold here in Norway is the one with a single front facing camera - although I really doubt the upgrade won't work on the dual cam models sold in the US.

Regards,
Christopher

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
So here is the quick question, who would give up their rear-facing camera for 2.2? I WOULD!