Huawei Ideos S7 - Post-Root Tips Sharing

duke1231

Oct 28, 2010
So huawei makes this tablet with resistive touch screen, no big deal, runs well. Decides the popular way is with the capacitive touch screen. So we are being left out in the cold?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Hard to say right now, i would say i hope for 2.2 on this and no more support....the price of being an early adopter

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

Game4set

Dec 2, 2010
Well there is this one shady (and by shady I mean REALLY SHADY) thing you can do. If they come out with a new S7 that's identical to the current one that we have, you could buy the new one and then return the old one to them (and you'll end up paying a ~45$ restocking fee). But yes it is pretty unethical :/

duke1231

Oct 28, 2010
Thats the price i pay for having no patience :) i would take the 2. 2 And no support if given the chance. If i was smart i would have waited for the spring and had honeycomb waiting for me.

bmichigan

Dec 12, 2010
I just called the company and was told that the current tablets will NOT be updated to 2.2. New tablets will be coming next year from Huawei. TO be clear no updates for Huawei - Ideos 7" Tablet S7. You can keep or return to store or just wait for the newer version that will run 2.2.

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
Alright so the wife and I just got these on Friday as Christmas gifts for each other. I was between this and the Archos 70, once I heard there were plans for 2.2 in Q1 on the S7 that made up my mind for me. I just wonder now if there will be any developers that will be able to come up with a custom ROM to get us to 2.2 (mainly the battery life and flash). What are the chances that the development community will bail us out on this. We still have these unopen (which is killing me) so a return would not be a big deal.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I just called the company and was told that the current tablets will NOT be updated to 2.2. New tablets will be coming next year from Huawei. TO be clear no updates for Huawei - Ideos 7" Tablet S7. You can keep or return to store or just wait for the newer version that will run 2.2.

Whom did you call exactly? The company has multiple offices, and there has not as of yet been an "official" response from China.

bmichigan

Dec 12, 2010
Whom did you call exactly? The company has multiple offices, and there has not as of yet been an "official" response from China.

I called the company NA office @ North American Headquarters, U.S.A 1700 Alma Drive, Suite 100 Plano, TX 75075 USA Tel: +1972-509-5599 and talked to some guy and asked if their would be an update and i was told that the company would release a new tablet next year and S7 would not be updated to android 2.2. I was also told the company would be making an announcement latter this week on the next version of the s7 tablet. so stay tuned. If it's is confirmed that their will be no update to 2.2 return the tab or just keep the tab. But we all wont 2.2.

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I called the company NA office @ North American Headquarters, U.S.A 1700 Alma Drive, Suite 100 Plano, TX 75075 USA Tel: +1972-509-5599 and talked to some guy and asked if their would be an update and i was told that the company would release a new tablet next year and S7 would not be updated to android 2.2. I was also told the company would be making an announcement latter this week on the next version of the s7 tablet. so stay tuned. If it's is confirmed that their will be no update to 2.2 return the tab or just keep the tab. But we all wont 2.2.

So good information, but please keep in mind that the office you talked to in Plano is actually a call center for customer service, and is not a technical design office. I am not saying your information is incorrect, only that it may be slightly misleading or incomplete.

In speaking with the Huawei engineers this is what I know at the moment.

- There is a complete 2.2 kernel for the current hardware configuration. Very little difference from what we have now in terms of UI, based on Emotion
- There is also a complete 2.2 kernel for the next generation of the tablet, this is very different from what the current build is

Huawei is supposed to be releasing the planned roadmap for devices and software tomorrow at a press conference, and at that time they will be making statements about the planned direction for the S7 as it currently sits.

We have a strong base of developers and users, if the "official" direction from Huawei is that they will not be releasing any more updates at all then we need to 1) Make sure we as a group convince Huawei to release the source code and the 2.2 kernel, and 2) work with the development community to see about getting new ROMs. The hardware is standard here, we are not looking at off-brand components so it should be possible.

Finally, everyone needs to remember that you made your purchases as an early-adopter. There are always risks inherent in this, for me what I made the decision to buy a brand that is not well known in the US because I liked the price point, I knew that this was a possibility.

As always, when i have more info I will pass it on.

cheers,
p

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
Heh, if true again, way to stick it to the early adopters. Early adopters are the people that you need to really launch a product. By this time next year there will be a myriad of tablets to choose from when I buy another, and it won't be one from a manufacturer that has demonstrated a lack support or lack of interest in their customers (not just picking on Huawei either).

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
There has been no indication that development work has stopped on Android 2.2 for the Huawei S7. In fact, it has been going quite well, and is is still targeted for Q1 next year. I will not verify the source from which I received this information.

I believe this is just a case of communication breakdown.

This is a false alarm.

LDW

Dec 12, 2010
i really hope Xaueious is right , well lets see tomorrow would be awsome to have 2.2 on Huawei . But i hope huawei support there new users , there on the right track and might be a big tablet brand name . well lets just pray

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
There has been no indication that development work has stopped on Android 2.2 for the Huawei S7. In fact, it has been going quite well, and is is still targeted for Q1 next year. I will not verify the source from which I received this information.

I believe this is just a case of communication breakdown.

This is a false alarm.

i really hope Xaueious is right , well lets see tomorrow would be awsome to have 2.2 on Huawei . But i hope huawei support there new users , there on the right track and might be a big tablet brand name . well lets just pray

the latest on the net is capacitative screens for S7 coming in January; hmm, may have to try refunding my BB purchase after all...:)