Huawei Ideos S7 - Post-Root Tips Sharing

KitN

Dec 1, 2010
I really really hope Huawei supports the S7 and releases at least a 2.2 update. I have my fingers crossed! :)

I really want an S7... but if there's not a 2.2 (or higher) update then that kills the sale for me, and I'm sure it'll kill the sale for other people, cause a rash of returns this holiday season and send people to Huawei's competitors that better support their products or at least have a standing 2.2 update available.

Last edited:

duke1231

Oct 28, 2010
If it's true that there is no update, then it will be such a waste of a good solid tablet. I love the s7, but if they think that I am going to run right out and buy the capacitive touch screen after this performance, then they wrong. Archos did the same thing with the home 7, except that device is junk. Most good company's out there keep undating exsisting product, even though they have a better one out on the market. I am defenitley not an expert by all means, but that seems like a horrible treatment of customers, regaurdless if we are early adopters or not.

duke1231

Oct 28, 2010
Oh and I returned my s7 tonight. Though I am a little sad, because it is a solid device. I hope you guys get the 2.2 update and these are just horrible rumors.

bmichigan

Dec 12, 2010
Oh and I returned my s7 tonight. Though I am a little sad, because it is a solid device. I hope you guys get the 2.2 update and these are just horrible rumors.

You're correct i returned my device today also this is an great device but there will be no update to 2.2

ufxss

Nov 16, 2010
Well, I am keeping mine....If I wait for the next best thing I would still have my Floppy Disk, DOS computer...

jcabibi

Dec 8, 2010
I wouldn't complain... I own a Samsung Captivate Galaxy S, which STILL has NOT received a official 2.2 update :\

BTW, the Captivate was released in July... That being said, there is NO way I would ever buy another Samsung/ATT product (including the Galaxy Tab)

I will stick with the S7 because it's only a matter of time before we start flashing more than a cheap Vegas peep show!

rjgtr

Nov 28, 2010
Here's something I'd like clarified. There are two new S7s being sold. The S7 for India is advertized as having 2.2 and the Russian one with a capacitive screen. Are either actually running 2.2. If they are, why couldn't we just get a download from one of them and flash ours?

Otherwise, I agree. Release the 2.2 kernel and let the x-dev guys finish the project. Otherwise, what's our choice? The Gallaxy is big $$$, but it does work. The Archos 70 and 101 can't connect to a network unless you have exactly the right settings on the network, which won't work if you don't control the network. The G-Tab doesn't completely work out of the box.

I am keeping my S7, because I find it useful. I also believe that the x-dev guys will bail us out if Huawei drops the ball. However, they need to get us an update to at least 2.2 and soon. Otherwise, they will lose their opportunity to establish themselves as good choice to better known companies next year.

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010

You're correct i returned my device today also this is an great device but there will be no update to 2.2

where did u guys get the phone; and if it was BB did you return this after the normal 30 day period..?

Well, I am keeping mine....If I wait for the next best thing I would still have my Floppy Disk, DOS computer...

true; thats why some of us are contemplating the other tablets...

I wouldn't complain... I own a Samsung Captivate Galaxy S, which STILL has NOT received a official 2.2 update :\

BTW, the Captivate was released in July... That being said, there is NO way I would ever buy another Samsung/ATT product (including the Galaxy Tab)

I will stick with the S7 because it's only a matter of time before we start flashing more than a cheap Vegas peep show!

Samsung has at least confirmed updates way before AND also started updates with some of their different carriers; including BELL etc.

lotusflower

Dec 3, 2010
That's exactly what I'm talking about. A public announcement is all that's needed. Until then I'll keep weighing my option. I still have some time before Xmas. :)
I have just read in one article on this upgrade for the future (can't recall but googled it with "when is update for huawei to android 2.2?") which said that Huawei is not upgrading but unveiling a new device in Feb 2011 as it is not cost effective for them to upgrade currently sold devices. This really is something that I had a gut feeling about their 'upgrade' in Feb 2011.
I do apologise for not giving you the exact info to connect with this article but it comes up with the above question in the google bar.

KitN

Dec 1, 2010
Here's something I'd like clarified. There are two new S7s being sold. The S7 for India is advertized as having 2.2 and the Russian one with a capacitive screen. Are either actually running 2.2. If they are, why couldn't we just get a download from one of them and flash ours?

I also believe that the x-dev guys will bail us out if Huawei drops the ball. However, they need to get us an update to at least 2.2 and soon. Otherwise, they will lose their opportunity to establish themselves as good choice to better known companies next year.

If there is indeed an Indian version with a Resistive Screen running 2.2, we could get our hands on the ROM and easily put 2.2 on the current S7...

Does anyone know someone in India that can get their hands on the 2.2 version of the S7 (Resistive or Capacitive)?

Although I really admire the XDA guys you can't count on them to cook up a 2.2 update. I've done that twice with 2 very popular devices and ended up update-less both times. Promises were made by the devs. Money from a bunch of people was being donated via PayPal yet neither of those devices ever saw an update. :(

jcabibi

Dec 8, 2010
What samsung has announced/released overseas doesn't excuse the fact that their USA customers have jack... Oh yeah, samsung said we would have froyo in october. I really don't care because I just flashed a 2.2 based rom. For those who aren't comfortable flashing, they are sitting on their hands, waiting for 2.2 which is arguably out of date. Don't want to turn this into a samsung rant... Just my .02

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Android Tablet Forum App

dajack761

Dec 8, 2010

Well said! I couldn't agree with you more. I'm keeping my S7. Trying to stay on the bleeding edge of technology is to stressful.

jhsband84

Dec 14, 2010
Is there a link to the official announcement on the S7? I've googled, but found nothing. And I don't see much on Huawei's site either. Thanks!!

Snyperx

Nov 22, 2010
^^ Boy I hope that article is wrong. You really need to provide a link to the article. The more threads and posts I read on how Huawei may not go to 2.2 the more I am starting to regret buying the S7.