Huawei Ideos S7 - Post-Root Tips Sharing

LDW

Dec 12, 2010
honestly i have to say , Huawei made a item with Cheep hardware ie: Resistive touch screen , low powered battery , no upgrade support . but its all the cost of buying a tablet that doesn't leave you dry of money . if you have gotten it just for the simple things the tablet is great but do not expect all the services you get with Samsung or apple from a company that are mainly making phones and have made a cheep tablet .

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
A capacitive version of the S7 is around the corner, and a 2.2. upgrade will be made available for the existing S7.
At least in Norway, that is, but I can't believe they would leave out big markets like the US.

First, as for the capacitive version with a 1GHz ARM Cortex A8, it has already been tested by a Norwegian tech website:
SNIKTITT: Huawei Ideos S7 - Amobil.no

For the Google Translate'ed version:
Google Translate
(It was actually Huawei Norway that pointed me to the article, so I interpret that as an official confirmation)'

The price according to the article will be NOK 3.500 which is exactly what the current versions's SRP is, so no jump in price even with the upgraded CPU, screen and (for us) an extra rear camera (our current model in Norway has only a single camera - the front facing).

The 2.2. upgrade was confirmed to me by Huawei Norway yesterday, but as a disclaimer they said that Huawei, being a large global company, may choose different marketing strategies in different markets, but as I said I doubt that they would can the 2.2 sw upgrade when it's already available in Norway - and if they did it would probably be rather easy for you in US to get hold of it and install it.

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
Just brought one home from Best Buy yesterday. Searched all over the net and found you folks here. The capacitive s 7 sounds like it would be real cool. Now I find myself in the position of wondering should I take it back or hang on. I could ebay it if the newer model shows up. At first blush I really like the layout, fit and form of it. Even with resistive screen and battery that does not last that long it seems like a great buy at 299. I ordered a sim from simple mobile that should arrive tomorrow so I'll be finding what calls are like. What really is a kicker is that it even fits in my jeans back pocket!!! 2.2 would really be nice and I would definitely contribute to anyone that get a good recovery working. I'm leaning hard to going with this machine if not in this form in thee new one coming out after the first of the year

if FROYO is not important to you then this is a great multi purpose unit; will return/ebay my unit as soon as the capacitive version comes out;

The capacitive Huawei S7, if it were to be on sale in US stores today, would not be 299US. Capacitive screens are expensive, especially at this size. It would be no less than $350, though I expect closer to $400 than $350.

well worth the increase for upgrade..; and S/W change to 2.2 (and eventually 2.3?)

A capacitive version of the S7 is around the corner, and a 2.2. upgrade will be made available for the existing S7.
At least in Norway, that is, but I can't believe they would leave out big markets like the US.

First, as for the capacitive version with a 1GHz ARM Cortex A8, it has already been tested by a Norwegian tech website:
SNIKTITT: Huawei Ideos S7 - Amobil.no

For the Google Translate'ed version:
Google Translate
(It was actually Huawei Norway that pointed me to the article, so I interpret that as an official confirmation)'

The price according to the article will be NOK 3.500 which is exactly what the current versions's SRP is, so no jump in price even with the upgraded CPU, screen and (for us) an extra rear camera (our current model in Norway has only a single camera - the front facing).

The 2.2. upgrade was confirmed to me by Huawei Norway yesterday, but as a disclaimer they said that Huawei, being a large global company, may choose different marketing strategies in different markets, but as I said I doubt that they would can the 2.2 sw upgrade when it's already available in Norway - and if they did it would probably be rather easy for you in US to get hold of it and install it.

great news; thk u.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
You guys completely crack me up!
What on earth were your reasons for buying the S7 in the first place?
I'll tell you mine!
I've had a bucket load of wince, windows mobile PDA/phones and all have come up short on practicality and useability. Way too many compromises. All too expensiveand none felt anwhere near right. Up to Dec 2010 my daily usage phones consisted of an HTC Touch diamond 2 and HD2. I have them dual boot winmo/android. I got to like the simplicity of the android OS, but, hated the constant problems of the cobbled boot structure and the instability of the damn thing.
My partner got the Evo 4 and she agees with me it's not what it's cracked up to be.
I cannot get on with capacitive screens at all. If my finger goes anywhere near them the input takes on a mind of it's own and this meant a love hate relation ship with the HD2.
I don't care what anyone says you don't get a good enough web experience with these form factor phones either.
I use the internet a lot, banking, bills, weather, booking rentals, emails, Skype, forums, google maps, google buzz etc,etc.
I have got used to modern battery performance and it's no big problem.
So I hear about the S7 and go to see it at Best Buy and purchase it on the spot!
It hasn't disappointed me in any way whatsoever because I knew what I was buying and I expect it to continue to fulfill my expectations far longer than any other device I have ever owned.
I have a BT headset for phone calls and it's got the best radio sgnal and call quality I've every experienced.
I'ts funcional, practical and strangely easier to handle!
It's even got me into book reading because it's readable!!
2.2 would be nice, however, it's not a deal breaker. I KNEW WHAT I WAS GETTING!
A range of accessories would be good as well, but, I can get along just fine without them.
To all of you whiners, just take a really close look at what you have in your hand, assess your position and do something about it! ie, if you don't like it, take it back.
But please realise that this constant trickle of wingeing comments is really getting incredibly boring.
Everyone knows that todays products will be superceded or have a different spec somewhere else in another market in the world. So what's the big surprise?
Suck it up and get a life.
If that leaves anyone else with the same admiration for this device that I've got, how about an S7 user appreciation forum?

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

chuck3d

Dec 7, 2010
I have to say, in response to PA49, I have learned a lot from these threads so I appreciate all of the back and forth info. I didn't know what an Android was much less what 2.2 was. now I'm excited to get the 2.2 upgrade so I can see my flash web sites on the S7. So everybody keep sharing info, much appreciated.

dohouch

Dec 17, 2010
So will the price of the current S7 2.1 drop after christmas,? Should do in stores that have a lot of them in stock. Will visit a few of my regular sites now with Flash turned OFF and see how they look/work. The only thing I know about 2.2 is that apps2ssd is part of it.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I was on a similar device (Acer Liquid E) stuck with Android 2.1 and receiving my 2.2 only recently. I can tell you that the speed increases are not that significant from 2.1 to 2.2. Adobe Flash is nice when you need it, but I often do not. However, I might elect to prefer to have Flash on a tablet. But the jump from Android 2.1 to 2.2 is not as big as one might think in terms of general user experience. Adobe Flash on Android is good for watching videos, but it really sucks for taking in input.

The additional enterprise features in 2.2 do make this a good option for work scenarios though, but many of you who already have the S7 already are dealing with the limitations already.

I think the S7 will drop in price next year, but since it has no competition there is no telling when that would be and by how much. I expect would guess that it would at least be above $250 for another quarter.

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
Yeah, I don't think that you will see any sort of really noticeable speed increase going to 2.2. The main reasons to want it are the ability to store applications on SD card (the main reason), the Flash support (if the S7 can even do it), the support for front facing cameras, and the fact that there are more "2.2 only" applications on the market now.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Support for dual cameras is more about Fring working with Huawei. It only gets official support from Android 2.3 onwards anyways.

Completely forgot about installing apps to the sd. I had apps2sd (well, to ext) working on Android 2.1 already, and am still using apps2sd (old method) on Android 2.2 because I do not like how some apps cannot be moved to sd in Froyo. Clockwork recovery is almost done. Working apps2sd should not be difficult. It is more about writing up instructions and making it easy for everyone to get it onto their devices. That is more or less up to your devs.

I guess I did not really notice the 2.2 apps since I switched over.

zenkibuta

Nov 12, 2010
Support for dual cameras is more about Fring working with Huawei. It only gets official support from Android 2.3 onwards anyways.

Completely forgot about installing apps to the sd. I had apps2sd (well, to ext) working on Android 2.1 already, and am still using apps2sd (old method) on Android 2.2 because I do not like how some apps cannot be moved to sd in Froyo. Clockwork recovery is almost done. Working apps2sd should not be difficult. It is more about writing up instructions and making it easy for everyone to get it onto their devices. That is more or less up to your devs.

I guess I did not really notice the 2.2 apps since I switched over.

Hey, you mention you are able to use apps2sd work on 2.1? Can you please give us a complete step on how you did it?

thanks in advance

bigblue206

Dec 2, 2010
Returned my S7 today to Best Buy. Don't let them try to stick you with that restocking fee. The manager tried to tell me that it carries a restocking fee but if you look on the back of the receipt and check the items listed it does not list tablets as one of those items. The Manager tried to argue with me until I stuck the receipt in her face and told her to read her own return policy and she was speechless. Needless to say full refund to me and now I get to wait impatiently for the new Huawei.

Misterwally

Dec 16, 2010
Pa49 Thank you for your thoughts. You make a lot of good points. My experience with capacitive screens has been excellent with two Motorola droids I have had. Both of the droid 1 and the X were smooth,accurate, and a delight to use. Every device is going to give you it's own unique feel. I have had Huawei s7 for almost two full days and I love it!!!! I like it's size and feel, but it's screen experience, although not bad, is not nearly as good as the Droids. Now it is very possible that the, new yet to be released capacitive screen s7, won't be as good as the Droids either. Only trying it out will determine that fact. As for 2.2 versus 2.1 that is something that has to be tasted as well. My feeling was 2.2 was a nice upgrade on the Droid phones. On the resistive screen S7 it probably won't mean so much.

All of us who love these gadgets know that they will be out dated at the drop of a hat. When to move on or up is something that each individual has to decide for themselves. Forums such as this are great places to discuss the finer points of that process.

I'm excited to hear your report of the radio signal and call quality on the s7. My sim card arrives today and I'll be able to check that out for myself. Over all I think S7 is a great value and needs to be appreciated just as you do. At some point, I won't have to suck anything up, if I decide to sell it or take it back and procure it's newer model brother. It will be a choice I make based on hopefully, an intelligent decision making process. I'll make a strong effort not to whine while doing so.....

Last edited:

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
Returned my S7 today to Best Buy. Don't let them try to stick you with that restocking fee. The manager tried to tell me that it carries a restocking fee but if you look on the back of the receipt and check the items listed it does not list tablets as one of those items. The Manager tried to argue with me until I stuck the receipt in her face and told her to read her own return policy and she was speechless. Needless to say full refund to me and now I get to wait impatiently for the new Huawei.

Did your box not have the tape all over it, like mine, that explicitly states 15% restocking for "this item", as well as the 14-day limit? Guess I should not have accepted that at the time...

Last edited:

bigblue206

Dec 2, 2010
You should not have accepted that. If you look on your receipt, an internet tablet is not one of the items listed with the 14 day return or the 15% restocking fee. I am in Massachusetts so maybe their return policy is different here but I would imagine it is the same everywhere.