Huawei Ideos S7 - Post-Root Tips Sharing

Snyperx

Nov 22, 2010
So are we still not sure if the US S7 will be getting 2.2? I am still confused on what to believe. Has anyone heard anything from Huawei U.S.A.?

mjposner

Dec 14, 2010
Just got my S7 last week, first real android device. As an Ipad owner the lack of Flash has never truly bothered me. I even have flash blocked in my browser (I hate sites that launch flash w/o permission). The resistive screen works fine to me, except scrolling can sometimes launch apps.

Well Tuesday I heard that the super duper elocity A7 would be available from BJs for $299 so I jumped. It came Friday. Its a Tegra 2 unit with Froyo and resistive screen. Did it seems faster than the S7? No. Was the screen better? no. Did it work better? No. In fact it has a major bug that it loses wifi unless you force reboot. Also, no market access. I tried wifi fixer but it did not help. No GPS, No Sim slot either. And a huge power cord that plugs in the bottom, messing up my auto mounting plans (number one reason I bought the device is to use it with a bluetooth obd-II device to act as a car computer (torque).

So, for those rushing to return the S7 to BB for a chance to buy a Froyo/capacitive model in three months, good luck with that.

Jokout

Nov 28, 2010
have to agree with mjposner! All the negitive posts here had me convinced to take my S7 back to BB till a moment of clarity hit me! I actually had the S7 boxed up in plans to return it yesterday and on the way to the store (hour trip) had a little time to think about the things that I really need out of a tablet and what 2.2 would bring to the table...the conclusion I came to was I am missing only a couple things with the S7 that REALLY bother me...app storage on the sd card, ( this is a biggy to me), AND the lack of specific accessories, namely home and auto docks that would fix the USB micro port slave issue! It would also give us the HDMI out that was promised!
Flash just isn't that big of a deal for me and as the google brouser goes, the excellent resistive screen is actually a plus! If your honest, how many times do you miss click one of those small links on a capacitive screen without zooming the screen WAY OUT! For me a stylus or fingernail work much better and quicker!
I am hoping/thinking if Hauwei does come with a new S7 with cap screen, the accessories should also come including the dock that they have already shown for the S7 and that it is just a matter of time till a working/simple apps2sd is applied to 2.1 by the devs which would cover my other concern.
when I really took a moment and looked at what the S7 HAS and compared it to everything else out there at this price point, the S7 is still the best table right now and comparing it to what something else in the future MAY have, I concluded I just don't want to wait for some pie in the sky tablet that is probably going to have it's own issues! At some point you just have to jump in the water or you'll just sit on the bank watching everyone else have fun!

Cheers

sopranosv

Nov 22, 2010
have to agree with mjposner! All the negitive posts here had me convinced to take my S7 back to BB till a moment of clarity hit me! I actually had the S7 boxed up in plans to return it yesterday and on the way to the store (hour trip) had a little time to think about the things that I really need out of a tablet and what 2.2 would bring to the table...the conclusion I came to was I am missing only a couple things with the S7 that REALLY bother me...app storage on the sd card, ( this is a biggy to me), AND the lack of specific accessories, namely home and auto docks that would fix the USB micro port slave issue! It would also give us the HDMI out that was promised!
Flash just isn't that big of a deal for me and as the google brouser goes, the excellent resistive screen is actually a plus! If your honest, how many times do you miss click one of those small links on a capacitive screen without zooming the screen WAY OUT! For me a stylus or fingernail work much better and quicker!
I am hoping/thinking if Hauwei does come with a new S7 with cap screen, the accessories should also come including the dock that they have already shown for the S7 and that it is just a matter of time till a working/simple apps2sd is applied to 2.1 by the devs which would cover my other concern.
when I really took a moment and looked at what the S7 HAS and compared it to everything else out there at this price point, the S7 is still the best table right now and comparing it to what something else in the future MAY have, I concluded I just don't want to wait for some pie in the sky tablet that is probably going to have it's own issues! At some point you just have to jump in the water or you'll just sit on the bank watching everyone else have fun!

Cheers

And that's how we must realize what we really need from a tablet

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
Well I must say that the past few comments have come as a refreshing breeze of enlightenment and down right good sense.
I bought my S7 from BB a few weeks back while I was in the states, brought it back to the UK so I can't retun it. And I don't want to. It works beautifully, I've got used to using it as a phone and all the other functions are ergonomically well thought out and a delight to use.
It has never frozen, auto rebooted, crashed or had any trouble handling any app that I have installed. I have a heavyish brushed metal stylus which improves the input experience way beyond bearable and I have stopped taking my external battery packs with me as I get through a whole day while out and about on the one battery.
Before I left the States I bought a Travelon light travel nylon pouch from Marshals and the S7 fits nicely and I sling it over my shoulder and away we go (We Europeans are used to 'man bags'!).
I have yet to show it to anyone who isn't absolutely bowled over by it and that includes a techy type who bought an Ipad and looked green with envy when I made a hands free call before his very eyes. He was amazed as the call quality, as I am! He'd got the non 3g model.
It connects to my 3g wifi router without a hitch a gives me broadband througout the house.
I think I will get one of those MiFi mobile 3g/wifi hitspots. I've heard some good reports about them so I'm checking them out tomorrow.
I wonder if the Lemmings have gone yet?

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
So I feel like I can finally weigh back in on this. We have a great devicei the S7, is it perfect? No. Is it damn good? Heck yeah!

Joshua

Nov 28, 2010
And that's how we must realize what we really need from a tablet

Heres my take, I dont know why so many people are all flustered the S7 dosent have 2.2. I came from a 1.5 device (Archos 7HT) with only 40mb of app storage and was happy with it. When I got down to it there are really only a handful of apps I use on a day to day basis so not having a ton of app storage isnt a killer to me. I dont miss having flash. Most web videos I want to watch are on youtube, and as they say, there's an app for that. What ive gotten out of the S7 is a device that is reasonably speedy, does what I want it to do efficiently, and was priced fairly. If it never gets 2.2 or higher will not make me a lick of difference to me. Would I be happy to see a update, sure, but I am perfectly happy with what the device is right now.

ScooterG

Dec 19, 2010
Heres my take, I dont know why so many people are all flustered the S7 dosent have 2.2. I came from a 1.5 device (Archos 7HT) with only 40mb of app storage and was happy with it. When I got down to it there are really only a handful of apps I use on a day to day basis so not having a ton of app storage isnt a killer to me. I dont miss having flash. Most web videos I want to watch are on youtube, and as they say, there's an app for that. What ive gotten out of the S7 is a device that is reasonably speedy, does what I want it to do efficiently, and was priced fairly. If it never gets 2.2 or higher will not make me a lick of difference to me. Would I be happy to see a update, sure, but I am perfectly happy with what the device is right now.

As far as 2.2 goes, I think it's that a lot of us wanna be hacks have seen what going from 2.1 to 2.2 can do for speed from seeing the N1 results. That being said, I'm loving this thing so far and hope to see some nice dev work done on it.

JackJack

Dec 10, 2010
NEWS ON S7 AND ANDROID2.2:
1. It's confirmed that S7 hardwares(For example: S7-104, S7-103...) can update to Android2.2, and Huawei software team is preparing the software.
2. Android2.2 version for S7 hardwares will release in Q1 2011.
3. Everything on 2.2 version R&D is OK now.

LDW

Dec 12, 2010
NEWS ON S7 AND ANDROID2.2:
1. It's confirmed that S7 hardwares(For example: S7-104, S7-103...) can update to Android2.2, and Huawei software team is preparing the software.
2. Android2.2 version for S7 hardwares will release in Q1 2011.
3. Everything on 2.2 version R&D is OK now.

Jack jack where did you hear this information ? and if its on the internet please link a post here , i know alot of people want to "see" with there own eyes a official statement of release and to be honest if Huawei are stating there going to do it , there isn't any reason they should not announce it ,There is actually alot of reasons they should . Anyways Jackjack thanks for post .

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I can confirm that when Jackjack speaks, he is a voice of reason on Huawei items, even if there is no "official" word from Huawei corporate. If you peruse his profile you may understand.

Cheers,
P

LDW

Dec 12, 2010
ahhh i wasn't questioning him :D just would boost the product and the community if there was a official post . I'm not going to shoot the messenger specially when its good news ;)

duceirae

Dec 14, 2010
yes this is very good news. and anyways its in the best intrest of huawei to do this anyways. its kinda like running a restarant great service will always get u more return customers, and good word of mouth.. bolth are needed in this day and age. of course it would. make a lot of U.S. customers happy to hear this from huawei directly...

rjgtr

Nov 28, 2010
Thanks jackjack. Very good news indeed!