Huawei Ideos S7 - Post-Root Tips Sharing

lotusflower

Dec 3, 2010
Is there a link to the official announcement on the S7? I've googled, but found nothing. And I don't see much on Huawei's site either. Thanks!!
It's a CNET Asia review which goes exactly: "huawei to sell ideos S7 Android Tablet in Singapore-Notebook-Crave-CNET Asia". It is listed in one of the update threads here.
If you read the latest threads posted by date (yesterday by someone called jackjack), it seems that there are some newer news as by some of the thread writers who have been in contact with the Huawei folks (wherever they are). I am impatient and would like to watch Hulu on my gadget, and really hope they will update, if not i am still keeping this for a year till others eg; Samsung Galaxy comes down in price end of next year. I just cannot justify paying 650 +tax for the unlocked version from AT&T now. Besides, being a PC person, the Huawei does have a good feel about navigating it. Just will have to try and watch stuff on Youtube now.

lotusflower

Dec 3, 2010
Thanks jackjack! Just hope that when it comes out, us laymen (and women) non techies can work on it to update it! Some of the instructions for 'rooting' seems complex to me! Hopefully i can manage to do it step-by-step when someone posts it!
Lotusflower

ScooterG

Dec 19, 2010
Thanks jackjack! Just hope that when it comes out, us laymen (and women) non techies can work on it to update it! Some of the instructions for 'rooting' seems complex to me! Hopefully i can manage to do it step-by-step when someone posts it!
Lotusflower

The S7 is one of the easier devices to root/unroot, which will let updates go very smooth. Let us know if you would like any help.

lotusflower

Dec 3, 2010
I want to have 2.2 mainly because of the stuff i watch. Will BB take back even with a fee and realise i want the newer edition? It's to their and Huawei's loss, that the older version was released so late and without 100% guarantee for updates. I bought mine on the 28th of Nov.
Keeping a gadget half-heartedly knowing there is a better version to get out there is not a good feeling of ownership.

lotusflower

Dec 3, 2010
Thanks ScooterG! At this point I hope there are updates that can be done and not have to go buy the newer version returning old one with re-stocking fee!

lotusflower

Dec 3, 2010
Want to do the same, and wait for the updated version next year, but can't seem to part with my toy! Maybe next year will give this to my 11 year old nephew (i am sure he will be happy to have one) and buy the newer version when it comes out. Still could be a few months before it does.

jcabibi

Dec 8, 2010
If the firmware and hardware in the 2nd generation s7, are similar to the current s7, it shouldn't me too hard to port it to our devices.

lotusflower

Dec 3, 2010
Thanks Scooter! Will have go the learning curve as we go along. It's a great forum where so many techies are also part of. Makes learning tech stuff easier!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Best Buy is waiving restocking fee, but until something like January 3 I believe.

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
i dont think they have a restocking fee any longer..

Confirmed - I returned mine no hassle beginning of this week. It was a bit painful since it is such an awesome tablet for the price, but I just was not using it enough to keep the money tied up in it.