Huawei Idoes S7 on Virgin Mobile?

thecastout

Jan 21, 2011
Has anyone tried getting the S7 on Virgin Mobile, as in using a SIM card. They have plans that are low as 25$ a month, unlimited data (3g?) Texting and such.

Just wondering if anyone has tried it, yet.

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
If you are asking the question, it can't be done. The Virgin Mobile system is closed and they only allow the ESN numbers of their known phones on the system. I have never heard of anyone doing this, and the question is asked a lot. It might be possible and I'll say no more, but there is no legal or easy way to do it. In addition,VM is CDMA, and there is no SIM card.

OttoDeFe

Feb 3, 2011
If you have the Optimus V VM phone, you can turn on the WiFi hotspot using QuickSettings I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
If you really want to get on VM, then I second the poster above who says get the Optimus V. It's a great phone (I have the Sprint version - the Optimus S) and it makes a great companion with my S7 and the Optimus' built in hot spot capability (I used to use the VM Mifi card with the S7 before I got the Optimus). If VM had been offering the Optimus just a few months ago, I would have gladly paid the up front cost of the phone ($149.99) and switched to VM's $25/month plan but I'm locked into Sprint for the time being.

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
ya i have been looking at that optimus V with the $25 plan , looks pretty good and great plan price

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
AH, I thought that the OP was asking about putting the S7 on the VM plan, not tethering to it. Yes, I have the Optimus V, had the Intercept before that. You can use both as a WiFi hotspot and the S7 will work with it. It is harder to get it working with the Intercept since most of the wireless hotspot programs are Ad Hoc, and android does not connect to Ad hoc out of the box, you have to replace your supplicants file. With the Optimus V, there is a way to turn on the WiFi hotspot without rooting and use it. It is infrastructure so it works nice. Nobody knows how long until VM closes this loophole, since tethering is against their TOS. When you are doing this, the phone battery drains very fast, a couple hours is all you get. Your speed will vary wildly depending on your area, and the VM data service has been unreliable for some. Because all of the VM data goes through their servers in Kansas, your lag will be considerable if you are more distant (on the order of 400ms is typical, but people have reported up to a second) I rarely actually use it with the S7 because it is too fiddly and as long as I have my phone I don't generally care to carry the S7 also.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010

I personally think its not a bad deal that's why I mentioned it in this thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...e-again-bb-50-off-starting-sunday-2-20-a.html. In the long run though, getting the Optimus V and the S7 is a better deal since you can tether the S7 and get a phone with MIFI capability (w/o rooting no less) in the process (versus just a Mifi device and one month of service per the bundle) at $25 unlimited data + 300 min which is a better deal than their $40/month wireless broadband plan.

Last edited:

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
Has anyone tried getting the S7 on Virgin Mobile, as in using a SIM card. They have plans that are low as 25$ a month, unlimited data (3g?) Texting and such.

Just wondering if anyone has tried it, yet.

VM is owned by Sprint, so that should mean CDMA network, which in turn means no SIM card. Tethering seems to be only way for S7 (or any other computer) to use VM data plans. So back to T-Mobile or AT&T for a SIM swap (In the US).