pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
What you want is an edimax ns 1500n
Which is a £50 device you can plug your USB ext into

Of course that's useless without power

Pete, on the move...

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Is there anything useful that you CAN plug into the USB port? webcam maybe? Projector? printer?

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Is there anything useful that you CAN plug into the USB port? webcam maybe? Projector? printer?

As previously stated, its not a host port so it cannot "host" any of those peripherals.

Sent from my Ideos S7

miker49er

Feb 23, 2011
Has anybody seen the thread on the Belarus forum (Подключение внешних устройств к планшету (USB flash и т.д.)) and tried what they describe? Look at the page with Chrome and it will offer to translate it for you (after a fashion). These guys show how to modify a cable and hook up external storage devices to the S7. As best as I can figure out you have to have root and do a little hacking to make the files accessible.

miker49er

Feb 23, 2011
Yes, you can attach USB storage to your S7! It does have OTG host capabilities. Hope I didn't scare anyone with that nasty-looking link in my last post--it works even though it got all scrambled. Or you can copy/paste this into your browser (again, with Chrome you can get it translated): huawei.belarusforum.net/t166-topic

Anyway, here's my version of what you need to do:

1. Get root if you don't already have it. I used z4root (just temporary root so far, I'm being cautious).
2. Get or make the right adapter cable. The Belarus post has modding instructions but I bought this: Micro male to USB female cable adaptor converter plug a | eBay
3. Connect the adapter to the S7 and plug in the flash drive.
4. Open a terminal session:
$ su
# ls /data/disk/media
5. The folder you see there is your flash drive. The folder name will depend on your drive. For a couple of mine it is "disk" so in this case I type this to see the files:
# ls /data/disk/media/disk
6. To make the files accessible via your file manager do this (just the first time--it will stick):
mount -t yaffs2 -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
cd /system
ln -s /data/disk/media mnt
mount -t yaffs2 -o remount,r /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
7. From now on you can browse to /system/mnt/ to see your files in your file manager or from a program.

I'm not sure if it's OK to just unplug the flash drive when done. I'm using umount as root before removing the drive just to be sure.

I haven't done too much with this yet but so far so good!

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
Hi Mike,
Well spotted, I am surprised but delighted.

That will certainly make moving stuff from sdcards much easier

Pete, on the move...

sujan

May 3, 2011
Hi Miker49er,
Thanks a million for the instructions. It works with my Huawei Ideos S7 tablet. I searched the net extensively but everywhere the instruction provided was incomplete. Finally I found your complete step by step instructions and then - Volla- I can convert my S7 almost into a netbook.
However, the process only worked for USB flash drive. When I plugged in a USB mass storage hard drive, it was not mounted. I can check that it was not mounted from /dev/block directory. I think I need to edit the vold.conf file suitably so that it can mount a USB mass storage device.
Do you have any suggestion or instruction about how to mount a USB hard drive or a CD/DVD drive for Android 2.1?

sujan

May 3, 2011
miker49er : I do not try it with Storage device but I can connect my keyboard to it. I'm having no luck with keyboards. Where did you get yours? Can you give us a link? said:
I have not tried with usb key board but I am using a bluetooth key board which is doing fine. I just downloaded BlueInput (free version) from the market and it could detect and connect the bluetooth keyboard which is a unbranded cheap chinese make.

miker49er

Feb 23, 2011
Hi Miker49er,
Thanks a million for the instructions. It works with my Huawei Ideos S7 tablet. I searched the net extensively but everywhere the instruction provided was incomplete. Finally I found your complete step by step instructions and then - Volla- I can convert my S7 almost into a netbook.
However, the process only worked for USB flash drive. When I plugged in a USB mass storage hard drive, it was not mounted. I can check that it was not mounted from /dev/block directory. I think I need to edit the vold.conf file suitably so that it can mount a USB mass storage device.
Do you have any suggestion or instruction about how to mount a USB hard drive or a CD/DVD drive for Android 2.1?

What file system does your hard drive use? I think fat will work but all mine are ntfs so I'm not sure. May also need external power.

Sent from my S7

sujan

May 3, 2011
What file system does your hard drive use? I think fat will work but all mine are ntfs so I'm not sure. May also need external power.

Sent from my S7

Have you tried with both usb flash drive and usb hard drive? My 64GB usb flash drive works but 200GB hard drive doesn't. The green indicator light on the hard drive glows indicating it's getting power. But it is not mounted automatically like the USB flash does.
I'll check the file system. But that should not matter. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Probably the wait is now over. But I don't know how genuine or reliable it is unless some experienced and courageous member downloads the update and try. Here is the link

Huawei Ideos S7 Froyo (2.2.2) Update | Phone Dock

If somebody attempts to update, please do inform us the whole experience.

This is the same rom (Indonesian) we've been using here for quite a while, in fact they probably got their info here.

cakdavid

Apr 17, 2011
Yes, you can attach USB storage to your S7! It does have OTG host capabilities. Hope I didn't scare anyone with that nasty-looking link in my last post--it works even though it got all scrambled. Or you can copy/paste this into your browser (again, with Chrome you can get it translated): huawei.belarusforum.net/t166-topic

Anyway, here's my version of what you need to do:

1. Get root if you don't already have it. I used z4root (just temporary root so far, I'm being cautious).
2. Get or make the right adapter cable. The Belarus post has modding instructions but I bought this: Micro male to USB female cable adaptor converter plug a | eBay
3. Connect the adapter to the S7 and plug in the flash drive.
4. Open a terminal session:
$ su
# ls /data/disk/media
5. The folder you see there is your flash drive. The folder name will depend on your drive. For a couple of mine it is "disk" so in this case I type this to see the files:
# ls /data/disk/media/disk
6. To make the files accessible via your file manager do this (just the first time--it will stick):
mount -t yaffs2 -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
cd /system
ln -s /data/disk/media mnt
mount -t yaffs2 -o remount,r /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
7. From now on you can browse to /system/mnt/ to see your files in your file manager or from a program.

I'm not sure if it's OK to just unplug the flash drive when done. I'm using umount as root before removing the drive just to be sure.

I haven't done too much with this yet but so far so good!

Hi guys, I am from Indonesia.
Could you guide me please so that my OTG usb cable can working properly on my Ideos S7.
I've tried to do these steps above, but still not working.
here is some screenshoot.
$OTG2.jpg
$screenshot_1.png

I'm using terminal emulator to do it.
Waiting for your guidance, guys. Thanks.