Huawei S7 - connecting USB external hard disc or flash memory

miker49er

Feb 23, 2011
Hi guys, I am from Indonesia.
Could you guide me please so that my OTG usb cable can working properly on my Ideos S7.
I've tried to do these steps above, but still not working.
here is some screenshoot.

I'm using terminal emulator to do it.
Waiting for your guidance, guys. Thanks.

Are you sure it's an OTG cable? Open up a session in terminal emulator. Then plug in your cable and flash drive.
At the system prompt type the command:
dmesg
Does it say anything about OTG? Post what you get here.

sujan

May 3, 2011
This is the same rom (Indonesian) we've been using here for quite a while, in fact they probably got their info here.

You are right. The Norroway rom is also avialble in the net. But I have Singapore rom and so a bit hesitant as I don't know how to flash. So either I have to wait for somebody reporting successful update for Singapore rom or Huawei releasing it.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
You are right. The Norroway rom is also avialble in the net. But I have Singapore rom and so a bit hesitant as I don't know how to flash. So either I have to wait for somebody reporting successful update for Singapore rom or Huawei releasing it.

I was using the Singapore Rom myself before I updated to 2.2 and had no issues whatsoever. Turned out flashing the Rom (Indonesian) is a simple process, with the instructions from Huawei themselves.

miker49er

Feb 23, 2011

Thanks for finding that solution! Much better with Q5_USB_Memory_Manager, makes it easy to unmount, no need to make the link like I did, just a new folder (and you can call it whatever you want). The only problem is it mounts r/w. Have to change it with Root Explorer if I need to delete a file or copy one to the flash drive.

After using the link on the Russian site I found the developer's download link, http://android.gval.biz/download/Q5_USB_Memory_Manager.apk

sujan

May 3, 2011
I was using the Singapore Rom myself before I updated to 2.2 and had no issues whatsoever. Turned out flashing the Rom (Indonesian) is a simple process, with the instructions from Huawei themselves.

Thanks Tom. Yes, I have updated to android 2.2.2 from Singapore rom to Indonesian rom, rooted it by using SuperOneClick. I can mount the usb by the usual linux command - mount /dev/.... vold.conf is now replaced by vold.fstab.
My S7 is now worth double the price I bought it in Taipei. With flash and many more other advantages that were not there in 2.1, S7 now rocks.
If anybody needs help to update to froyo 2.2.2 in Ideos S7 and root it and then wants to mount USB, please write.
Otherwise, my need in this forum is over. Thanks everybody.

sopare2000

May 5, 2011
Yes, you can attach USB storage to your S7! It does have OTG host capabilities. Hope I didn't scare anyone with that nasty-looking link in my last post--it works even though it got all scrambled. Or you can copy/paste this into your browser (again, with Chrome you can get it translated): huawei.belarusforum.net/t166-topic

Anyway, here's my version of what you need to do:

1. Get root if you don't already have it. I used z4root (just temporary root so far, I'm being cautious).
2. Get or make the right adapter cable. The Belarus post has modding instructions but I bought this: Micro male to USB female cable adaptor converter plug a | eBay
3. Connect the adapter to the S7 and plug in the flash drive.
4. Open a terminal session:
$ su
# ls /data/disk/media
5. The folder you see there is your flash drive. The folder name will depend on your drive. For a couple of mine it is "disk" so in this case I type this to see the files:
# ls /data/disk/media/disk
6. To make the files accessible via your file manager do this (just the first time--it will stick):
mount -t yaffs2 -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
cd /system
ln -s /data/disk/media mnt
mount -t yaffs2 -o remount,r /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
7. From now on you can browse to /system/mnt/ to see your files in your file manager or from a program.

I'm not sure if it's OK to just unplug the flash drive when done. I'm using umount as root before removing the drive just to be sure.

I haven't done too much with this yet but so far so good!

Sorry m8 all i get in termina emulator is permission denied cant figure out what am i doing wrong any help?

hcpass

May 1, 2011
No, you've to buy a specific OTG cable it is not the same as the one delivered in S7 box to connect to your computer.

Regards

Stéph.

sopare2000

May 5, 2011
No, you've to buy a specific OTG cable it is not the same as the one delivered in S7 box to connect to your computer.

Regards

Stéph.

what if i cut the one in the box and connect it to a female extender cable will that work?

cansat

Apr 23, 2011
Hey Steph will this do the job? ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
photo3mns.jpg

Information taken from Russian forum

Do not work, you need an OTG cable, micro usb is 5 pin and 4 pin usb, contacts 4 and 5 cross.
Russian but it is understood

microusbOTG.gif

326321977_214.jpg

n810otg6.jpg

1512n810otg4.jpg

or made ebay

Micro USB male adapter OTG for Mobile Phone Pad Tablet en venta en eBay.es (finaliza el 05-jun-11 09:27:54 H.Esp)

Micro male to USB female cable adaptor converter plug a en venta en eBay.es (finaliza el 09-may-11 21:58:19 H.Esp)

Last edited:

cansat

Apr 23, 2011
Information taken from Russian forum

for 2.2:
1) ROOT is needed
2) U need to install Q5 usb memory manager
3) In the "Root Explorer" make new dir in the root folder and name it "usb_drive"
4) Plug ur USB stick and wait untill the led activity stops
5) In Q5 usb memory manager press "Mount File System"
6) Ur USB stick is in "usb_drive" directory..

Information
http://android.gval.biz/Q5_USB_Menory_Manager.php

Last edited: