Huawei S7 Slim in hand, Initial thoughts and info. Detailed review soon....

aksoutherland

Sep 22, 2010
I found the reason for the tablet to lock up. At least for me, it is caused by installing any launcher. Mine locked up like that, and I used adb to remove the extra launcher and rebooted the tablet. This fixed the issue, I was able to duplicate the issue by installng another launcher and then rebooting. Had to use adb again to remove the launcher and reboot so my tablet could usable again.
I emailed Huawei about the issue and their response was that they dont support 3rd party apps. My reply wasn't very happy, I am currently waiting on their reply.
Even though I'm not able to install a 3rd party launcher I will be keeping mine. It works perfectly for what I want and I think the size is perfect as well. So lets see what's huawei responds with for the launcher issue.

Last edited:

robdroid

May 4, 2011
Which version SGT did you get? I'm also an S7 (original) to Galaxy Tab convert, but check back here frequently to see if Huawei has bothered to update the OS to version 2.2. Though more polished and solid than the S7, the Galaxy Tab has its quirks and shortcomings too so give it some run time too before you declare victory.
I got the Verizon 3G version- not planing on using it with carriers data plan though, only using it via wifi.. Bought the 3G version to get the more powerful CPU/GPU over the older CPU/GPU in the wifi only version.
Haven't had any issues with Google, Amazon or 3rd party apps, currently use Zeam as the launcher. Granted the Galaxy Tab was $120 more than the S7 Slim, but the build quality and especially the higher res screen and superior touch screen (which does not require multiple taps sometimes to launch apps) is worth it IMO.
FWIW- Better battery on the GTab too... I ran copilot (navigation program which requires GPS on full time) from home to work on both the S7 Slim and the Galaxy Tab the trip is 45 min one way. Charged both tabs overnight before trip- when I got to work the S7 Slim reported 65% battery remaining, the GTab reported 86% battery remaining.

Probably not fair, however, to characterize the entire S7 product line as not "ready for prime time" based on a single infant mortality screen failure (pretty much any tab could suffer the same fate). Probably too early to tell whether Huawei actually has a quality control or design-based reliability problem based on a single data point. Though I don't blame you for jumping to another tab as a result of the failure. The reset issue doesn't sound like a big deal.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum
Yeah, the reset procedure to get Google market/Gmail running was annoying, but certainly not a deal-breaker. However- on several occasions having to remove the battery in order to shut off the S7 completely (also reported by other S7 Slim owners) a few times did bother me, then the final straw was the complete failure of the input digitizer. For the record- I did have Zeam Launcher running flawlessly for a day and a half before the lockup/digitizer failure occurred so I'm not 100% convinced that Zeam was the only issue.
When I returned it to Best Buy, the sales girl in the "Mobile" area showed me a few S7 Slim's that had already been returned since last Saturday.

docfreed

Dec 4, 2010
Which version SGT did you get? I'm also an S7 (original) to Galaxy Tab convert, but check back here frequently to see if Huawei has bothered to update the OS to version 2.2. Though more polished and solid than the S7, the Galaxy Tab has its quirks and shortcomings too so give it some run time too before you declare victory.

Probably not fair, however, to characterize the entire S7 product line as not "ready for prime time" based on a single infant mortality screen failure (pretty much any tab could suffer the same fate). Probably too early to tell whether Huawei actually has a quality control or design-based reliability problem based on a single data point. Though I don't blame you for jumping to another tab as a result of the failure. The reset issue doesn't sound like a big deal.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

Not an isolated issue - had the identical issue - on it's way back to BB tomorrow! Once that screen becomes non-responsive there is absolutely no way to recover - you're bricked

rlar7

May 22, 2011
Thank you... I've been trying to get into the market place for three hours and after following the reset instructions all is good...

Riog92

Sep 8, 2010
I think the extra weight is due to the much larger battery and glass capacitive screen. Also to answer another question, it has no telephony functions.
If it has no telephony function how it suppose to make calls? I'm just askingSent from S7 slim ideos