Huawei S7 Useful Tweaks and Tips

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
Hey all! Love the S7. But having to turn wifi off and on to get it to reconnect after it is sleeping. Annoying. can anyone help with a solution?

That would be annoying. Mine automatically reconnects after being asleep, so maybe it is some characteristic of your router or something?

zenkibuta

Nov 12, 2010
That would be annoying. Mine automatically reconnects after being asleep, so maybe it is some characteristic of your router or something?

I agree. For example, here in my house i have no problem reconnecting to my router after being asleep but in my office i have the same problem as the others. so i guess it's the router config.. so try changing your router authentication (security type, encryption keys). I don't have problem reconnecting on my router that has WPA2 - AES type. But in my office the router has no password (open). So experiment on that and see what happens

Quazarr

Nov 29, 2010
Thanks for this thread! Its been great. I am happy new owner of the S7 and I think that other than the resistive screen (which really is not all that bad anyhow), this is one of the slickest, user/hacker friendly devices out there! Love it! Thanks for all the great tweaks and look forward to that first 2.2 ROM :0)

Quazarr

Nov 29, 2010
Question - (and I will start a new thread if I cant find the answer elsewhere) - I can not add any widgets to my desktop. I am running OpenHome atm, but have tried aHome and stock home as well. I long press... list comes up... press Widgets, it closes and nothing happens (expect window to select which widget).

Thanks in advance.
Q

nrage23

Nov 8, 2010
If anyone is looking for music syncing to their S7, you should try Doubletwist. I Use a zune and it finds all of my music and playlist and you can pick which to sync. Best of all is it is free and works with iTunes aswell. Also today they released Airsync as a .99 cents add on to allow WiFi syncing. I read somewhere that the price will go up to$4.99 after the first 10,000 downloads. The airsync works great but when you use it you can only see the 8gb of internal space. If you use usb then you can sync to both storage areas. I did not try the usb first to see if airsync would find both after usb syncing. Great software though.

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
Finally, how to connect your S7 to an Ad Hoc network, such as is produced by Barnacle. As many have discovered, it will not do this out of the box. Using this I was able to connect my S7 to my Samsung Intercept and use it as an internet access point. This requires root access, but is very easy, just make a backup of one file and copy another one in. This uses a wpa_supplecant file from a Samsung Galaxy S, but it seems to work just fine on my S7. You can still access Infrastructure networks too after doing this. The instructions are here...

Connect Samsung Galaxy S to Ad-hoc Network Multiplayer Games Share Fix

Just be sure to make a backup of your current wpa_supplecant file just in case, it is mentioned in the instructions but just briefly. I used root explorer which I already had to copy the files.

dvdrms

Nov 27, 2010
Finally, how to connect your S7 to an Ad Hoc network, such as is produced by Barnacle. As many have discovered, it will not do this out of the box. Using this I was able to connect my S7 to my Samsung Intercept and use it as an internet access point. This requires root access, but is very easy, just make a backup of one file and copy another one in. This uses a wpa_supplecant file from a Samsung Galaxy S, but it seems to work just fine on my S7. You can still access Infrastructure networks too after doing this. The instructions are here...

Just be sure to make a backup of your current wpa_supplecant file just in case, it is mentioned in the instructions but just briefly. I used root explorer which I already had to copy the files.

i follow this with no luck. 1.download wpa_supplicant and put it on the root of the sd card i move with root explorer tobin file but nothing can u tell me what im doing wrong

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
i follow this with no luck. 1.download wpa_supplicant and put it on the root of the sd card i move with root explorer tobin file but nothing can u tell me what im doing wrong

Well, I don't know, as they say "it worked for me"

I did the following...
* downloaded the wpa_supplicant.txt file on the computer.
* renamed it to wpa_supplicant
* Hooked the S7 to USB, mounted the card, copied it into a directory called "downloads" on the internal SD card.
* Made a directory on the card called "backups" to put stuff like the old file in.
* Unmounted the SD card
* fired up root explorer and used it's "move" function to move /system/bin/wpa_supplicant to the /SDcard/backups directory
* Make the /system/bin directory RW (this is important, it is only read only to start)
* used the "move" function in root explorer to move the file from /downloads to /system/bin
* got out of root explorer (this resets the directory to read only).
* rebooted.

Now I can connet to Ad Hoc (Barnacle) and to my infrastructure network.

U

jjnagy

Dec 2, 2010
Has anyone else had any luck with getting this to work or not work?

I was getting ready to give it a try.

jjnagy

Dec 2, 2010
Has anyone else had any luck with getting this to work or not work?

I was getting ready to give it a try.

I answered my own question. I went and followed brachiopod's instructions and it did work! I successfully connected the Huawei S7 to the adhoc network from a Motorola Droid. Before applying the change to the wpa_suppicant file I was unable to connect, but now I have been able to connect to the WiFi tether on the Droid.

The only issue is that it seems to be intermittent and causes lost connection warning alot.

Thanks, brachiopod!

PS: brachiopod do you see the same kind of lost of connect messages?

Jeff

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
Excellent. I have not noticed lost connection messages, but I have not had a chance to use it extensively, I just tried it for about half an hour yesterday. I'll use it more and let you know.

spetznazeyss

Dec 2, 2010
Thanks for posting that, i spent a few hours trying to figure out what to do but all i needed was root explorer to install the file

Now i can leech off my iphone's data plan

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
As for the disconnects, I get them when using Barnacle on my phone. You can find people complaining about disconnects with Barnacle on line. I have a Samsung intercept, so I have to use the legacy version at this time. Supposedly you can run the newer versions, but I can't get the adb USB drivers to install on my machine to make the required changes on the phone.

Anyway, now I'm using the program from the wireless tether project here
android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code
It works great and no disconnects with the S7. I was messing with google Earth on it last night. If they don't have your exact phone, just try the closest version.