Huawei S7 Useful Tweaks and Tips

double

Dec 24, 2010
I just got my s7 on sunday and took it to 2 at&t stores and they said they couldn't hook it up. I went to some mom and pop store by work at lunch and they put me on t-mobile $40 a month unlimited data (month to month plan). I don't know how you got voice on there but I've been trying to set up sipdroid through google voice and am able to make calls on edge that way. Just got the first call to go through today so it needs more tweaking to get the mic right. I think I need to use my bluetooth headset to get better call quality because talking on speakerphone is annoying.

Lorrendor

Dec 23, 2010
I just got my s7 on sunday and took it to 2 at&t stores and they said they couldn't hook it up. I went to some mom and pop store by work at lunch and they put me on t-mobile $40 a month unlimited data (month to month plan). I don't know how you got voice on there but I've been trying to set up sipdroid through google voice and am able to make calls on edge that way. Just got the first call to go through today so it needs more tweaking to get the mic right. I think I need to use my bluetooth headset to get better call quality because talking on speakerphone is annoying.

I'm almost certain, that there are 2 different types of packages avail thru prepaid - 1 is data only that doesn't provide any voice (which it sounds like you have)...did they give you a phone number? The other type, which I have, is the Pay As You Go plan that includes both voice and data.

Ives

Dec 10, 2010
Hi Brach,

No, I don't think that is the case. When the re-boot was complete and the S7 was back up and running, I went into the Wifi settings and saw that under the Wifi on/off option it was unchecked AND there was a gray message under it stating "Could not start wifi". I tried to toggle it on, but it would just fail and give me the same message. I tried another reboot, same thing. The wifi connection is disabled in this state and I can't see any networks, due to this. Copying the backed up wpa file and a reboot restores my wifi to working order (at least what it was out of the box).

Hope that helps.

Hey KE4NYV
Did you ever find a solution for this. I am having the exact same problem. The downloaded WPA file actually disabled my wi-fi. Had to restore the original file and wifi came back on. The new wpa file was exactlly 312,440 bytes in size.

Ives

daz

Dec 13, 2010
i got the wpa_supplicsnt file to work...had to install busybox and then copied the file from my sdcard to system/bin using terminal emulator. works perfectly now

Sent from my S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

double

Dec 24, 2010
I'm almost certain, that there are 2 different types of packages avail thru prepaid - 1 is data only that doesn't provide any voice (which it sounds like you have)...did they give you a phone number? The other type, which I have, is the Pay As You Go plan that includes both voice and data.

the reciept they gave me has a phone number on it for the phone but in the settings it doesn't show the phone number. Also i tried calling it an no go. I paid for the data only as i am a keyboard chatter now a voice chatterer. I use sipdroid for calls on evdo, skype for calls on wifi and gvoice for texts. complicated, yes but i don't believe in paying an extra $50 a month for voice service when i spend 95% of my time in the internet.

DCLocal

Nov 25, 2010
the reciept they gave me has a phone number on it for the phone but in the settings it doesn't show the phone number. Also i tried calling it an no go. I paid for the data only as i am a keyboard chatter now a voice chatterer. I use sipdroid for calls on evdo, skype for calls on wifi and gvoice for texts. complicated, yes but i don't believe in paying an extra $50 a month for voice service when i spend 95% of my time in the internet.
You can change your plan online to the voice plan which will allow data (Edge) even though T-Mobile says data won't work. At least that is what they told me in the store but with my prepaid voice, data does work. I started with only 30 minutes to test for $10 plus $10 for the SIM card and add as needed. This without any monthly plan or commitment.

Lorrendor

Dec 23, 2010
You can change your plan online to the voice plan which will allow data (Edge) even though T-Mobile says data won't work. At least that is what they told me in the store but with my prepaid voice, data does work. I started with only 30 minutes to test for $10 plus $10 for the SIM card and add as needed. This without any monthly plan or commitment.

DCLocal, so you are able to purchase a Web Day Pass with a voice account only? Did you just buy a SIM card by itself, or did you purchase a PrePaid cellular phone also? Is this the Pay As You Go plan?

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
Look at te TMobile website. They have the SIM for $7 but if you buy the $30 phone you get the SIM and $25 usage credit. You must select the "pay as you go" option to get the web pass.

DCLocal

Nov 25, 2010
DCLocal, so you are able to purchase a Web Day Pass with a voice account only? Did you just buy a SIM card by itself, or did you purchase a PrePaid cellular phone also? Is this the Pay As You Go plan?
Yes, I have a prepaid Pay As You Go plan and I can purchase a Web Day Pass. I did not purchased a phone, only 30 minutes pre-paid voice for $10; the SIM was an additional $10 (in store).

To actually purchase the Web Day Pass I had to add a credit card to my account which I did online. As a side note, the only way I could figure out how to add a credit card was to setup auto-refill. Once I added the credit card I was able to purchase the Web Day Pass via the My Account app on the S7.

Speed is only about 500kbps but acceptable given the price and convenience. I'll probably just tether the S7 to my Evo when I'm not near WiFi but wanted test the T-Mo data and have the option.

Attachments

• $PAYG.jpg
    $PAYG.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 498

Lorrendor

Dec 23, 2010
Yes, I have a prepaid Pay As You Go plan and I can purchase a Web Day Pass. I did not purchased a phone, only 30 minutes pre-paid voice for $10; the SIM was an additional $10 (in store).

To actually purchase the Web Day Pass I had to add a credit card to my account which I did online. As a side note, the only way I could figure out how to add a credit card was to setup auto-refill. Once I added the credit card I was able to purchase the Web Day Pass via the My Account app on the S7.

Speed is only about 500kbps but acceptable given the price and convenience. I'll probably just tether the S7 to my Evo when I'm not near WiFi but wanted test the T-Mo data and have the option.

That is really strange. I at no point needed a credit card to activate the web pass. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I purchased a Pay As You Go Phone that was web-enabled and had a browser (the Samsung T369).

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
Well, I don't know, as they say "it worked for me"

I did the following...
* downloaded the wpa_supplicant.txt file on the computer.
* renamed it to wpa_supplicant
* Hooked the S7 to USB, mounted the card, copied it into a directory called "downloads" on the internal SD card.
* Made a directory on the card called "backups" to put stuff like the old file in.
* Unmounted the SD card
* fired up root explorer and used it's "move" function to move /system/bin/wpa_supplicant to the /SDcard/backups directory
* Make the /system/bin directory RW (this is important, it is only read only to start)
* used the "move" function in root explorer to move the file from /downloads to /system/bin
* got out of root explorer (this resets the directory to read only).
* rebooted.

Now I can connet to Ad Hoc (Barnacle) and to my infrastructure network.

U

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS i just tried this and it worked for me..... i was wondering why my tablet would not see my droid x when i would enable tethering and now it works!!!!!! Thanks so much guy :)

Ives

Dec 10, 2010
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS i just tried this and it worked for me..... i was wondering why my tablet would not see my droid x when i would enable tethering and now it works!!!!!! Thanks so much guy :)

Nice, I guess i'll get back to the drawing board and try this again on my droid 2. Maybe I had a corrupted supplicant file. If it worked on your droid x it should work for the droid 2 right? right?

So is your droid x updated to froyo?

Ives

joshb

Dec 28, 2010
Hello, I was following your instructions here and I understand all except changing the /system/bin directory, how do I chang it, I've tried multiple file managers and can't figure it out, its saying insufficient permissions. Can anyone help.

The steps for to wpa_supplicant by brach

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Josh - 1) Are you rooted? and 2)Are you fully rooted? There have been issues with UniversalAndroot not fully rooting as advertised. I would recommend re-rooting with z4root.